5D mk3 back to firmware 113

Started by jafa, March 14, 2014, 05:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Audionut on March 15, 2014, 11:09:35 AM
The OP has run around in circles trying to satisfy every request in this thread. 

I appriciate his efforts a lot and I hope he is still with us!

But there is an open issue (not tested yet) and the way the cams seems to work don't match the way the cams have to work. Do you have a different opinion?

Danne

I could take a chance on testing on my cam. Still I want the steps described thoroughly to minimize the risks since it,s nothing I usually do.

Walter Schulz

Are you tryiing to test the delay issue?
It will require two cams. One with bootflag set, one without. As the OP has.
Or a single cam and someone able to remove the flag.

Danne

I have my 5d mark 3 with nightly build installed. There,s a 1,5 second bootflag-delay. If Jafa,s steps works I won,t need a comparison cam since the startup will be instant, around 0.2 seconds.

Walter Schulz

Strongly suggest not trying to mess up your cam.

OP can easily test this one without doing any harm.

-> Put ML enabled card in both cams. One has to boot up ML, one has not to boot up ML.
-> Remove ML folder and AUTOEXEC.BIN from card. One has to be stuck at bootup, one has to boot up.
If so: Yes, OP is right. Bootflag is set on one cam, not on both.

And after that he may test the delay issue with a cam card formated with an file system other than FAT32 or EXFAT using his computer and afterwards formating it in cam.
One cam should show a delay waking up from sleep using this card.

Devs: Please hit me with a big stick if I got this one wrong!

jafa

Ok looks like I messed up was testing cameras side by side without any cards in , no delay between them , formatted two cards put one in each , ran test side by side again and there is a delay on wake up compared to the other camera so I guess this means the bootflag is still there and open.
I apologize for causing a storm in a tea cup.

Im uploading a vid so you can judge for your selves. 

jafa

Obviously the slower one is the one that had ML installed , again I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

Bassman2003

Jafa, thank you for uploading this video.  The difference is there but quite minimal.  Great to see how little the difference is.

If I could ask a favor regarding this situation... Could you shoot a short video showing the top LCD of both cameras waking up from sleep in photo mode?  I have been wrestling with this bootflag thing for along time and am (maybe was) hesitiant to install ML to keep resale value intact.  It would help me and probably others to see exactly what the bootflag "issue" does.  I know it might be asking a bit but it would really help me out.

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

Read again: Up to 2 seconds delay waking up from sleep.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: jafa on March 15, 2014, 01:38:59 PMagain I apologize for wasting everyone's time.

No harm done, riddle solved and thanks for feedback!

Ciao
Walter

jafa

Quote from: Bassman2003 on March 15, 2014, 04:41:18 PM
Jafa, thank you for uploading this video.  The difference is there but quite minimal.  Great to see how little the difference is.

If I could ask a favor regarding this situation... Could you shoot a short video showing the top LCD of both cameras waking up from sleep in photo mode?  I have been wrestling with this bootflag thing for along time and am (maybe was) hesitiant to install ML to keep resale value intact.  It would help me and probably others to see exactly what the bootflag "issue" does.  I know it might be asking a bit but it would really help me out.

Thanks!

Not at this time sorry , ive just reinstalled ML on the camera and ive done the reinstall - uninstall process 4 times over the past two days and every time I do it its nerve racking , for my money its worth installing ML as the Raw footage is beautiful to work with and once uninstalled there is almost no noticeable difference in wake up time as the vid shows ,as for stills I cant comment as I never tested that side when I uninstalled ML.

Walter Schulz

Bassman2003

Thank you for the link.  So as I read the thread, ML can now be installed with Firmware 1.23 and you can reset the bootflag "issue" if you want to uninstall it?  Is this correct?

Walter Schulz

Yes. You have to wait for the new build or compile the code by yourself.

Bassman2003

Great.  Thank you.  I have waited this long, I can wait a little longer! :)

Stedda

ML for 1.2.3 is available on the Nightly Builds page as of yesterday....
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Bassman2003

Thank you Stedda and no worries Jafa!