Firmware 1.2.3 rec_raw and MLV [5D mkIII]

Started by Scott Free, March 18, 2014, 01:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Free

I wanted to test 1.2.3 ML.. so I installed on my camera's and headed out to a mosque that is near by. Such a amazing building and the people are so friendly and welcoming.. so a great place to relax and shoot for a while. I shot MLV on one camera and Rec_raw on the other. I had a few corrupted files on the MLV card, every frame perfect on the rec_raw camera.

This is the result of the test shoot..

ted ramasola

nice video Scott. India or Pakistan?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

jose_ugs

goood stufff!!! glad to see/hear ML is working nicely on top of 1.2.3 FW

Scott Free

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 18, 2014, 01:24:12 AM
nice video Scott. India or Pakistan?

No Ted, this is a local "Gudwara" (Mosque) in Gravesend Kent England. We have a large Indian community and the Gudwara represents their hardwork and investment. Its a lovely place to shoot because the people are just so friendly and welcoming.

The opening shots are suffering from a little aliasing (probably due to over sharpening).. but as this was just a little fun test for firmware 1.2.3ML_  so I let it go.

Canon eos m

Hi Scott Free,

Nice video! Notice some judder around 2:32. Possibly due to camera panning too fast at 24/23.976fps. Struggling to get my hands clear with these motion shots. People say that 24fps is bulls**t (legacy from the days of celluloid film) and that 30fps / 60fps is the real and only way for smooth shots.

Personally, I just like the look of the 24fps especially at lower f-stops.

I love the skin tones and the grading. Could almost have thought these were shot on a Nikon 800 had not this been a ML forum.

ML has just made my 5D3 such a powerful and interesting machine that I feel in league and one with the BMCC, Alexa.

Did you use a video head / tripod for most of your tilt shots or was there a jib involved too.

I do tend to agree raw_rec is more reliable except that it cannot handle sound yet ... or at least I think it is the case.

Overall a true inspiration. The days I suffer from self doubt, it is work like this that keeps me going.

Good luck on future projects.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Scott Free

I actually used the head of my 561b monopod and placed it on my slider... Not the best solution, but I was on my own. The judder you refer to is overuse of warp stabiliser :)

This was more of a quick test shoot...

By the way, the 1.2.3ML 17th March is rock solid... MLV is running with no problems. I had a great fun shoot today, ran it on two cameras and used 4 cards with no errors or hiccups. Its seems more stable than the 1.33ML I had last installed, which was awesome.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Scott Free on March 18, 2014, 11:05:56 AM
No Ted, this is a local "Gudwara" (Mosque) in Gravesend Kent England. We have a large Indian community and the Gudwara represents their hardwork and investment. Its a lovely place to shoot because the people are just so friendly and welcoming.

The opening shots are suffering from a little aliasing (probably due to over sharpening).. but as this was just a little fun test for firmware 1.2.3ML_  so I let it go.

Oh wow. I really did not notice the aliasing so much as the subject matter was nice. I like the colors too. Thanks again. I'll modify your title to add 5D mkIII so people will know.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

everettglovier

Quote from: Scott Free on March 18, 2014, 01:03:28 AMI had a few corrupted files on the MLV card, every frame perfect on the rec_raw camera.

I've had a ton of MLV files corrupt on me recently and have switched back to the original rec_raw (I tried on 1.2.3 and 1.1.3). Sometimes there aren't any but sometimes it's every other file. I wonder why that happens?