How to shoot live concert (90min) with 5D3 + ML

Started by joeray, March 17, 2014, 10:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeray

I recently started to use ML with my 5DMK3 and 5DMK2.    I have both cameras...  I was wondering if anyone has used either camera with ML to shoot professional songwriters in concert.  I bought 2  256GB compact flash drives that should give me about 90 minutes of shooting time.  Any other thoughts from folks who may have tried this?   I would appreciate your thoughts...  Ive shot 100's of concerts with my 5DMK2 and 5DMK3 with a Sound Device 744 recorder and love the quality but I would hope ML would improve the quality 14 bit video   without being limited to 8bit video without ML...   My email is:  [email protected].  Thanks in advance for your suggestions.  Peace,  Joe Ray

Markus

Its great for concerts and live events. The expanded dynamic range is of great help with the often harsh scene lights. Be sure that you know what you do when you expose though especially when using high iso. I often end up shooting things at 3200iso and expose as far right as I dear. Usually this means 3200 iso without a sign of any noise =)!

Check out these clips (unfortunately pretty bad sound) filmed with ml raw 3200 iso 70-200is at 5.6f

Another thing you need to know of is the auto shutdown of idle live view that canon does whether or not you turned of powersave in canon menu. Sticky half press shutter is a way around this or just pushing shutter halfpress button halfway down to refresh countdown timer 25mins of so into the recording.
Also: use davinci resolve for developing if you don't want your footage looking like crap =). avoid ACR.

joeray

Hi Marcus,
     Thanks for your clips...  My 5DMK3 has firmware 1.2.3 so I will be downloading ML tonight or tomorrow...     As most of my concerts art 60-90 minutes, do you ever have trouble with the ML dropping a frame or not recording the entire 29minutes before I will need to recycle my 5DMK3?   Also, since I shoot and record separately with a Sound Device 744T, have you heard of any problem syncing audio with video with ML?   I'm going on a 14 day train trip with many professional musicians and I am doing the audio and video recording.  Check out a little bit of my early work at:  www.vimeo.com .  Once on site, search for:   joerayskrha      I really appreciate your assistance and comments...    Sincerely,  Joe Ray Skrha

Markus

I've tested this with komputerbay 1200x which works great. you can record about 47min non stop with that card =). I can fill up that card without problems and have not noticed corrupt frames. Longest single take with sync sound I have made is 24min, no sync issues there so i think sync is accurate. All my clips have been recorded in 25p since i live in PAL-land.

joeray

Markus, do I assume you are using a 128 GB CF Card?

Markus

for 47min you need a 256gb card. I recommend that one. the 1050x 128 gig cards are often too slow for full hd ml raw + sound.