Remap or clone shutter button

Started by n8hawk, March 22, 2014, 04:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n8hawk

Hi there,
I am new to ML and just had an idea to solve a big problem of mine:
I am a quadraplegic and have very few finger functions.
Therefore I am not able to press the shutter button with my right hands fingers. I was looking for a hardware solution but just found some DIY-remotes- http://ensas.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14. Unfortunately they need to be build- very difficult without finger functions...

So it would be very helpful to use the left hand for shutter release control. The best option would be to use the dof-button or the flash-button.
Is there a possibility to remap the shutter to one of these buttons?
What buttons can be accessed by ML?
In case the remapping is not possible, someone perhaps knows an alternative way to shoot with the left hand?

BR,
Tim

Walter Schulz

Quote from: n8hawk on March 22, 2014, 04:51:11 PM
In case the remapping is not possible, someone perhaps knows an alternative way to shoot with the left hand?

Craftmen could do so with wood and a button (or two) integrated, connected to the remote port. Just a mirrored handle. 3D-printing is another option.

Ciao
Walter

nanomad

What camera? On some models it is indeed possible to do so
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

garry23

I often hand hold with my right hand and simply use a wired remote with my left hand to trigger the shutter.

n8hawk

The camera is a 700D.
Using a button at the left side of the camera would be nice-
on the one side I would not need additional equipment, on the other side I often hold the camera with both hands due to my limited finger functions- so my left hand is still busy.
Can someone tell me what buttons can be remapped?

BR,
Tim