[ALREADY DONE] Trigger Flash when doing Focus stacking on a 5D3

Started by Pfw, February 03, 2014, 01:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfw

Currently camera won't trigger flash when doing focus stacking. I think it works on some models but currently is not available to 5D2 and 5D3. It will be great if it does.

Marsu42

Quote from: Pfw on February 03, 2014, 01:30:52 PM
Currently camera won't trigger flash when doing focus stacking. It will be great if it does.

Mine also does - plus I added a "flash delay" option to focus stacking in my local build so I can give the flash(es) some time to recycle after each shot.

Walter Schulz

The flash delay found it's way into other builds, too: 650D and 7D (at least).

clippo

hi folks - first post on here so please be gentle!

I've had a good search around for an answer to this but can't find anything.

I'm having the same issue with focus stacking. I can't get my flash to fire using a Yongnuo radio trigger. Body is a 5DmkII and I'm using a Tamron 90mm with extension tubes (have ruled out tubes affecting it).

The trigger and receiver seem to be communicating fine (green lights at right time). Its just the flash (430EX) doesn't fire. I come out of ML and it works perfectly.

Is there something I'm missing? There's a vid on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcRVXuc6Yt4 that seems to show this set-up working perfectly albeit I'm not sure if that's a wireless or radio trigger being used.

Marsu42

Quote from: clippo on March 08, 2014, 10:06:39 PM
The trigger and receiver seem to be communicating fine (green lights at right time). Its just the flash (430EX) doesn't fire. I come out of ML and it works perfectly.

So if you put the flash directly on camera it works even when focus stacking?

clippo

yeah - works fine on the hot-shoe. When being used off camera I can hear the flash 'zoom' motor operating for each shot but it just won't actually flash (pilot light is on etc). Also, the camera is taking images but it doesn't sound like the mirror is swinging for each shot. It's like its in mirror lock-up mode, but it isn't. I've tried switching on and off but no progess.

Marsu42

Quote from: clippo on March 09, 2014, 09:56:59 AM
yeah - works fine on the hot-shoe.

Well, you might have mentioned this in the first place, don't you think (speaking of wasting time...)? In this case I don't know what ML can do unless you have an idea yourself why your Yn equipment might not work.

clippo

if you haven't got anything constructive to add Marsu... please stay out of it yeah? :-) I'll forgive you this once.

Anyone know if this is a known issue with radio triggers? I haven't got all day to research such things but some preliminary searching doesn't turn up anything obvious. Anyone know what kind of trigger is being used in that video? it seems to work just fine.

Marsu42

Quote from: clippo on March 09, 2014, 06:16:53 PM
if you haven't got anything constructive to add Marsu... please stay out of it yeah?

Sorry, I just realized I confused you with the op who just didn't find the option, you stated that you use radio triggers - so scratch my above post. Does the Yn trigger refuse to fire on *any* shutter operation triggered by ML like bracketing, or does it just fail on focus stacking?

ML directly uses a Canon function to take a pic so it's not quite the same as you physically pressing the button. So one possibility is that it's a timing problem, if ML fails consistently with Yn maybe there's a place to add a small delay in the code to fix it.

clippo

thanks - no worries ;-)

I'll have a play and see if I can get it to work with another function and report back :-)

clippo

sorted this now folks... turns out it was a canon menu live view shutter setting - changed it from 'mode 1' to 'disable' (believe it may do this automatically on some bodies, but obviously not on the 5d2). Flash didn't work with trap focus either until I changed this.