Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savale

Thank you Lars, recording is fine, but for focus pulling it's a bit easier when having 1080p instead of 1080i.
I finally found a solution for the monitor: When I put it to oversan full it seems to understand the 1080p signal inside the 50hz signal. (I set the camera to output 24p)

itsDPmikey

Hey I've got the mark III. I Recently ordered the ATOMOS Shogun Inferno for my future RED Scarlet-W. for now I wanted to know if anyone knows if magic lantern works with atomos monitors. I don't necessarily want to record on to the Inferno just use it as a monitor but still get RAW plus I don't think it's even possible to record raw through hdmi.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

jowish77

I have purchased my 5D Mark iii couple of days back.
I'm trying to downgrade to Firmware 1.23 and I'm using Mac osX 10.11
I'm not able to find Firmware 1.23 version for Mac osX 10.11
Could anyone please help me?
Please sent a link for osX 10.11, really appreciate the help.

I have also noticed a change in canon Utility Software...
Now the firmware update is under
Camera Settings > Firmware update

Please confirm if it is the correct way to update than going into remote shooting
in fact, I don't see firmware in that section

Thanks,
Jowish Simon

beauchampy

Quote from: jowish77 on December 04, 2016, 12:07:50 AM
I have purchased my 5D Mark iii couple of days back.
I'm trying to downgrade to Firmware 1.23 and I'm using Mac osX 10.11
I'm not able to find Firmware 1.23 version for Mac osX 10.11
Could anyone please help me?
Please sent a link for osX 10.11, really appreciate the help.

I have also noticed a change in canon Utility Software...
Now the firmware update is under
Camera Settings > Firmware update

Please confirm if it is the correct way to update than going into remote shooting
in fact, I don't see firmware in that section

Thanks,
Jowish Simon

Just FYI it's the same as the Windows version. They both come with 5D300123.FIR and you just need to use EOS Utility to downgrade.

IndyP

Hi Everyone,
     Oops, I have a new Canon 5D MKIII on the way and didn't know  about all these firmware issues with the Canon 1.3.3 firmware. Having purchaed a T2i 550D years ago, I've been looking forward to the opportunity to shoot RAW (even if the workflow is somewhat tedious), but have considered returning it due to the firmware issues. From reading some threads on this topic, it seems obvious that I need to downgrade to an earlier firmware (either 1.1.3 or 1.2.3). My questions are therefore:

Where can I find a very discriptive tutorial on how to downgrade to 1.1.3 or 1.2.3 using Windows 10.
                 I want to have "Clean HDMI Out" and "Dual Monitor Support" so which version should i downgrade to?
                 After downgrading to earlier camera firmware, I understand I  need to install basic ML, then set up for RAW recording, correct?
                 This being the case, how do you also set the 5DMKIII up for RAW after basic ML is loaded?
                 Is ML RAW set up using settings within basic ML firmware, or does RAW require another download?

Thanks guys.

Walter Schulz

Use EOS Utility 2.x to downgrade. If unable to locate this utility:
http://pel.hu/down/solution-disk29.1a.dmg.zip

After installing ML you have to go to Modules tab and activate MLV_REC.mo

IndyP

Walter.

I assume version 1.2.3 is the best one to use if I wish to use "clean HDMI out" and to have dual monitors, correct?
  Is v 1.2.3 also the best version for shooting RAW, or does it matter?
  If so, where can I download the Canon 5D MK III 1.2.3 Firmware?

Thanks again

rpt

If you need to AF at f/8 while shooting stills, then stay at 1.2.3 else go back to 1.1.3. I am at 1.2.3 for the AF at f/8.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: IndyP on December 09, 2016, 01:07:00 AM
  I assume version 1.2.3 is the best one to use if I wish to use "clean HDMI out" and to have dual monitors, correct?
  Is v 1.2.3 also the best version for shooting RAW, or does it matter?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14704.0
Quote from: IndyP on December 09, 2016, 01:07:00 AM
  If so, where can I download the Canon 5D MK III 1.2.3 Firmware?

Read first post of this thread.

avator

Sorry for my newbie question but this my problem:
I have installed ML on my 5D Mark III 1.2.3 (magiclantern-Nightly) to solve my hissing audio problem with an external mike (RODE)
Specifically I was looking for a way to disactivate the AGC filter... (Auto Gain Filter)
Couldn't find an option on the menu and I tried to activate the MLV_SND.MO  module, but this is the answer I get in the console

tic: error: undefined Symbol 'mlv_record_get_free_slot'
plus more lines like this one

SCREENSHOT
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/571y1gbgit8fv6n/AACsaXcJG-ArIffi2zlHi1Dna?dl=0

Any help highly appreciated!!
thanks

a

beauchampy

Quote from: avator on December 09, 2016, 07:44:31 PM
Sorry for my newbie question but this my problem:
I have installed ML on my 5D Mark III 1.2.3 (magiclantern-Nightly) to solve my hissing audio problem with an external mike (RODE)
Specifically I was looking for a way to disactivate the AGC filter... (Auto Gain Filter)
Couldn't find an option on the menu and I tried to activate the MLV_SND.MO  module, but this is the answer I get in the console

tic: error: undefined Symbol 'mlv_record_get_free_slot'
plus more lines like this one

SCREENSHOT
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/571y1gbgit8fv6n/AACsaXcJG-ArIffi2zlHi1Dna?dl=0

Any help highly appreciated!!
thanks

a

You deactivate the auto gain in the canon menu, not the ML menu.

king718

Why is  1.1.3 recommended? When 1.2.3 has more posts in this thread then for  1.1.3? I just got 5d mark iii and I'm wondering which one I should go with.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: king718 on December 10, 2016, 06:22:58 AM
Why is  1.1.3 recommended?

You should read first post in 1.1.3. and make up your mind about which version you want to use for your projects.

IndyP

I've just received my 5D MK III and am ready to downgrade to 1.2.3. Does anyone know where I can get the correct EOS Utility version for Windows 10 to perform the downgrade? I'm told that the EOS Utility version 2x is what I need, which means the most recent version offered by Canon with the 5D MKIII will not work (though I haven't tried it).

Thanks

Walter Schulz

"EOS Digital Solution Disk Software 29.1A" for Windows or OS X available via Canon Support USA web site.

IndyP

Thanks Walter, I saw that but was looking for a 2x. I guess that should do it.

Update:  I installed EOS Utility Disk 29-1a for Windows, and downloaded the Canon 5D MKIII  Firmware v1.2.3 file from the Magic Lantern
               Downloads page. Using the above utility, all went well and I downgraded from 1.3.3 to v1.2.3.

IndyP

OK, I installed Magic Lantern without any problems, and now I'm ready to activate a RAW_REC.MO or MLV_REC.MO module. My question now is; what are the main differences between each of these modules for shooting RAW?

Apparently some individuals were experiencing problems with external monitoring, i.e. (dropped frames and monitor freezing after a minute or so) when using mlv_rec.mo and advised to go with raw_rec.mo instead, as it was less problematic. These problems apparently went away after they began using a faster card.

In any case, (not sure if it's relevant), but I will also be using an external monitor, so which module would it be best to go with?

Oops, this is a continuation of my original question, but I'm now talking about RAW. Perhaps I should now move my discussion to the RAW thread?

budafilms

@IndyP

You should really looking for that answers on google.
It's one of the most common questions.

groundlessfears

hope to see a new nightly for 1.2.3 soon..
Canon EOS 550D 1.0.9
Canon EOS 70D.111A
Canon EOS 5D Mark III 1.2.3

budafilms

@IndyP

"If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything."

Google it.

CineRAW

Hello everyone,

Wanted to share my latest findings with the latest 5d Mk3 nightly build for 123. I recorded ML RAW and ML Sound and sent the signal to my Atomos Ninja Blade via Pro Res HQ. I didn't get a signal for sound in my Ninja Blade via HDMI, anyone know why?

https://youtu.be/e5ZDA6uJ5bo

OS 10.10.5
CF card Lexas 1066x 64GB
MLFVS to convert ML files to cDNG (.45 seconds equals about 4 Gigs. WOW!)
Imported cDNG to Resolve
Exported Pro Res 4444
Imported ProRes 4444 and Ninja Blade ProRes HQ into Premiere Pro CC.
Export H.264 - Vimeo 1080p preset

Thanks again to the Magic Lantern team for their work. Where is the donate button through Paypal? I only see the one for BitCoin. What if you can't sign up for Bitcoin?

I'll be doing some more testing, trying to find out how to send ML Sound into Ninja Blade. Any suggestions?

Lars Steenhoff

@CineRAW

No sound because canon does not output sound on the 5D Mark 3 over HDMI

CineRAW

@lars

thanks for the info on sound over HDMI. Next i'll try running the headphone jack output into the ninja blade sound input and see what I get.

Lars Steenhoff

the headphone to atomos will work, just test how many frames offset you need to add in the atomos. when you have the correct value for the offset the sound will be sync.

beauchampy

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on December 20, 2016, 10:46:13 PM
the headphone to atomos will work, just test how many frames offset you need to add in the atomos. when you have the correct value for the offset the sound will be sync.

I use 5 frames on mine.