Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasamKilik

I might be misunderstanding what Alex originally posted but is bootflag solved for 1.2.3 AND 1.1.3? Or just 1.2.3?

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

lutz-w

Does some one has the plan to make a port for Firmware 1.3.3?

Walter Schulz

lutz-w

Is it foreseeable when it will be there?

Walter Schulz

No.
Is there an essential feature in 1.3.3 you will be missing working with 1.2.3?

MasamKilik

So is there any reason one would choose 1.1.3 over 1.2.3 now?

I see it's still recommended when you choose to download 1.2.3

MasamKilik

lutz-w

QuoteIs there an essential feature in 1.3.3 you will be missing working with 1.2.3?
My 5d came with 1.3.3 and i don't want to make a backdate

Markus

Will be hard to motivate anyone to port it to 1.3.3 when 1.2.3 are so stable and 1.3.3 doesn't include any new features. Downgrade if you want ML...

lutz-w

axelcine

I have a 5dIII-113 and a 5dIII-133, downgraded to 123 without any problems. Hey, you can always upgrade to 133, once (if) ML becomes available. The reason it's not here yet may be, that 123 is good enough. I have one of both, just for comparison, and when I feel, that I know enough, I might downgrade all the way to 113. The up/downgrade doesn't disturb me, since I'm convinced it won't interfere with product warranty.

I just turned 63, and when I can do it, you must accept, that the process is very much foolproof.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

rpt

Peatsmoke

After being a very satisfied user of ML on my 7D, I would like to install it on my 5DIII, but because of warranty I was wondering if there is a possibility to disable the bootflag.
Is simply updating to the normal Canon firmware enough and if not, does some of you guys have experiences with warrenty-issues and ML?
THNX! :)

goldenchild9to5

@Peatsmoke Yes you can.. I have Magic Lantern running on my 5D mark III Recording RAW Video for 6+ months now no problems not even one Pink Frame yet.  I know for ver 1.1.3 it's soo.. easy to install, and very easy to uninstall I've done it a couple times Ver 1.2.3 is a bit different.  From my understanding & from what I've read you should be fine with Warranty because Magic Lantern Runs on the SD Card.   

Walter Schulz

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#does_it_void_my_warranty
There had been some cams sent to official support sites with bootflag set and none made legal trouble.

Updating/downgrading with original firmware won't change cam's bootflag. You can test it on your 7D.

For uninstallation follow instructions in first post.

axelcine

I'm just so happy with my two lanterns 113 and 123 - thanks, A1ex once again, you sure know how to give Christmas gifts - and I just want to wish all of you a very happy New Year.

The awards having ML far outweighs any warranty issues. I have been through all the threads on this site, and never once heard or read about somebody losing their camera warranty because of a set bootflag.

Once more: Happy New Year to everyone; I'm very much looking forward to visit ML Universe come 2016.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

Peatsmoke

@goldenchild9to5 I might hope I'll be able to run ML from my CF-card, because CF cards have much higher writing-speeds as the SD.

DeafEyeJedi

That makes no sense ... Just simply run ML off a decent SD card and that way you can get the most out of recording onto CF (w speeds of at least 1066x) card separately.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

axelcine

My cams are set up so that JPEG go to SD (where ML resides), RAW + Video go to CF card. P119 in the Canon User Guide. Happy New Year all of you.

goldenchild9to5

@Peatsmoke Just like @DeafEyeJedi said best to run ML on a decent SD so the RAW Files can be recorded separately on the CF Card.  Trust me DeafEyeJedi knows what his talking about he has helped me out soo much.  @axelcine Happy New Years to all & ML Lantern team @A1ex thank you for all your work making RAW a reality for all, I really appreciate that.  All my ML users Let's create beautiful images with the 5D3 for the new year  8)  If you are down reply with a big "Yes" 

ckrieg

I just read through 5 or 6 pages on this thread and couldn't find any information.  I also tried searching and oddly, couldn't find the info either.

I currently have 1.1.3 running a Feb 2014 build of magic lantern.  I'm shooting a live event coming up, so I will need Canon firmware 1.2.3.  What's the best way to update to Canons new firmware?  Can I simply overwrite the ML firmware currently installed with Canons 1.2.3 and then reinstall ML after?  Or do I need to reload Canon 1.1.3, then upgrade to 1.2.3, then install magic lantern again?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: ckrieg on January 02, 2016, 08:31:04 PMI'm shooting a live event coming up, so I will need Canon firmware 1.2.3.
How exactly does an upcoming live event force you to update to Canon firmware 1.2.3?

Quote from: ckrieg on January 02, 2016, 08:31:04 PM
What's the best way to update to Canons new firmware?  Can I simply overwrite the ML firmware currently installed with Canons 1.2.3 and then reinstall ML after?  Or do I need to reload Canon 1.1.3, then upgrade to 1.2.3, then install magic lantern again?
You can not overwrite ML with Canon firmware because ML does not change original firmware and does not replace Canon's stuff.

If you have to upgrade Canon firmware there are several ways to do it. Do you have a spare card (< 32 GByte)?