Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsDPmikey

Quote from: italobrito on June 09, 2015, 07:20:37 PM
Sorry for the dumb questions but I still have some:

- Do I install ML on an SD card and put the extra fast CF card in the second slot? Or do I forget about the SD slot and everything goes in the CF?

- Is the uninstallable bootflag modification still present in both 1.1.3 and 1.2.3? Or is it possible to completely and cleanly uninstall ML in both firmwares?

I'm mainly trying to decide whether to go with 1.1.3 or 1.2.3. I won't need the official Canon things in 1.2.3 but there's some extra info in the 1.2.3 thread that isn't present here and I just want to make sure the 1.1.3 also have these options (clean uninstall, optional EosCard, ML restores itself after format etc).

You can either split the process like so
. Put ML on SD card and use the CF card for recording files (this is highly recommended and easy to set up in the ML menu).

or

. If your SD card is fast enough with enough space you can put both the ML and set to record files on the SD as well. (not recommended. Only if you have no CF option and only have SD card)

*Yes its possible to completely and cleanly uninstall ML in both firmwares. Whether you are on 113 or 123, when you enter in canon menu to update firmware(while firmware card is in the camera) Install ML and when it installs and says "done", At that point it will start to count down. IF you want to uninstall let it count down all the way and that will uninstall it. THAT'S IT.

currently there are some issues with the 113 with pink frames and whatnot, but this wasn't always the case its only been happening in the most recent builds(have not tested the June build yet)
123 is steady but lacks some options so it depends on what you are doing.

I have formatted my CF card in exFAT and I'm using 1.1.3 again, everything is good for me so far.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

italobrito

itsDPmikey, thanks a lot, you really helped. I was mainly thinking about 113 because it's said to have slightly faster write times but I already have a sufficiently fast CF card so I guess I'll stick with 123.

Just one last thing, should I format both the SD and the CF in exFAT or do I leave the SD card with ML in FAT32?

Thank you very much.

itsDPmikey

Quote from: italobrito on June 12, 2015, 06:52:48 AM
itsDPmikey, thanks a lot, you really helped. I was mainly thinking about 113 because it's said to have slightly faster write times but I already have a sufficiently fast CF card so I guess I'll stick with 123.

Just one last thing, should I format both the SD and the CF in exFAT or do I leave the SD card with ML in FAT32?

Thank you very much.

Yes but it is not necessary due to the fact that ML FIRMWARE files don't take much space at all and don't require very high speeds. It's more the CF(or the card that is being recorded on) that really improves when you format to exFAT.

The maximum file size for FAT32 is 4gb, which if you record in raw and depending the FPS and resolution size, you will pass 4gb very quickly like around 5min or less. This is why FAT32 is not recommended.

exFAT allows a maximum file size of 16eb. That's 16 EXABYTES! As in 16 QUINTILLION, As in 16,000000000000000000...so as you can obviously do the math that's an incredible amount of difference.

So theoretically if you have a card that is 4gb or less, it's not really necessary. But OBVIOSULY if it's a card with more than 4gb space then yes exFAT that lil sucker!

I love this &^*$ MAN!

lostfeliz

New 5D3 firmware on June 9th. Change log seems to be blank. Anyone who about this release?

DeafEyeJedi

lostfeliz:

Just download and test it for yourself -- that's what we all do for a living, right? [emoji6]

If not happy with it then simply go back to whatever nightly you prefer.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

yannbb

Hi i'm stuck with the same problem it seems you were but I cannot see that it was answered.  Please can you advise how you overcame the problem of not beiiing able to download the modules for RAW recording etc.  I do not have the 'M' tab just a triangle.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

YBB

Walter Schulz

There is no tab labeled "M". Browse tabs until "Modules" is displayed.
Modules tab will not be seen after crash. It's there after restart following clean cam shutdown.

tron

June 9th firmware for 5D3 1.2 3 seems to have been removed!

itsDPmikey

Quote from: tron on June 18, 2015, 03:21:53 AM
June 9th firmware for 5D3 1.2 3 seems to have been removed!

This is Correct. But I did download it before it was removed
I love this &^*$ MAN!

itsDPmikey

Quote from: itsDPmikey on June 19, 2015, 08:14:33 AM

This is Correct. But I did download it before it was removed

I'm going to correct myself. I misread the comment, I do not have 1.2.3, I for some reason saw 1.1.3. sorry for the confusion
I love this &^*$ MAN!

lucadita

Please, looking for firmware 1.2.3! does any one can tell me where to download it anymore? (I've looked everywhere, but I did'nt find it. I looked  also at webarchive...)

Walter Schulz

First page, first post. Or top of page -> Downloads -> Download nightly builds -> 5D3.123 and read instructions.

5Djp

Question... what does the yellow camera icon mean before it turns green?.. is that just it waiting for start frame?

Frank7D

Green = continuous recording possible at current rate
Red = continuous recording not possible at current rate
Yellow = borderline situation

5Djp

Thanks Frank
It would be nice if it showed when it actually starts recording instead of red/yellow/green stuff.

itsDPmikey

Quote from: 5Djp on June 22, 2015, 06:12:36 AM
Thanks Frank
It would be nice if it showed when it actually starts recording instead of red/yellow/green stuff.

It starts recording when the countdown or count-up starts. When the timer starts then it starts recording.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

actingnurse

Audionut

Since there's a thread for firmware version 1.1.3, and firmware version 1.2.3, but no thread for firmware version 1.3.3, I'm going to go out on a limb, take a rough guess at no.

itsDPmikey

Quote from: actingnurse on June 22, 2015, 11:07:04 PM
Will ML run on 1.3.3 yet?

NO

The 1.3.3 firmware [b]also known as the[/b] AMLF(Anti-MagicLantern Firmware) by CANON, was produced in efforts to [b]STOP [/b]people from using MagicLantern.

What does AMLF 1.3.3 actually fix/do? Well lets take a look at what CANON has to say.
[b]Details http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480e37761

Firmware Version 1.3.3 incorporates the following improvement and fix:[/b]

"[i]Improves the AF controllability when shooting in Live View mode with a wide-angle lens (fixed focal length or zoom).
Corrects some incorrect indications on the "English" and "Russian" menu screens.[/i]"

...thats it? Yes that's it.

In other words, this firmware update is absolutely useless. [b]BUT[/b]! What CANON did not include in this release details was that they wrote this firmware strictly for MagicLantern users to stop us and you don't have to be a "brain surgeon" to understand this.

One of the things CANON [b]DID NOT[/b] [s]disclose [/s]is that with this new firmware you can't downgrade, at least not as easily as you could before, now you need to be on the computer and have it connected to the Camera. In reality this is not too different from what Microsoft was trying to do with Xbox One, taking the rights away from the people.

One of the most Obvious things about CANON is that they [b]OVERPRICE [/b]their products. Primarily their cameras.

You can [b]accomplish [/b]just about [b]anything [/b]with 5D if not more than lets say the c100 and some of the CANON'S other high priced cameras.

For this primary reason, CANON has tried to find a way to stop the MagicLantern use on their cameras.
Consider what you can do with some of the lower end EOS cameras with MagicLantern installed, some INCREDIBLY WONDERFUL things. So you may just ask yourself.. why spend thousands when you can spend hundreds for the same thing if not BETTER! this obviously isn't something that CANON finds favorable.

Instead of lowering the prices of their cameras to reasonable prices, they continue with their foolishness by taking away from the people what BELONGS to the people.

If I paid for it and now its mine, I should be able to do whatever I want do with it. Right? I guess CANON doesn't think so.

I've blabbered on enough about this.
All in all, you are [b]NOT[/b]! missing out on anything by not installing a useless update like 1.3.3
I love this &^*$ MAN!

Walter Schulz

Using EOS Utility will allow downgrading from 1.3.3.
You can download EOS Digital Solution Disk 29.1A from Canon's support site and install EOS Utility.

Audionut

Please keep Canon rants in the general chat section, or preferably some other site.

italobrito

Can anyone tell me why even though I have 'Frame Skipping' turned off, once I convert my MLVs do cDNGs and import them to After Effects, I occasionally get a message telling me there's a missing frame in my footage?

So far it's only one single frame per video and when I look for it, the actual file isn't there (it goes from something like M25-151800026.dng to M25-151800028.dng).

That's weird because when recording, the camera/recording icon often shifts from Green to Yellow but it absolutely never becomes Red and the camera never stops recording.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if that's my card having issues to keep up or something else. I also wonder why ML isn't stopping the recording once it skips a frame.

DeafEyeJedi

@italobrito:

Which converter did you use?

italobrito

@DeafEyeJedi:

It was raw2cdng.1.7.4, using the default setting of 'CNDG 12bit maximized' and no other option.

DeafEyeJedi

Not sure if that converter can spit out DNG's instead of CDNG's? Or try an earlier version of raw2cdng?

I'm mainly a Mac user here and perhaps you can wait until @chmee gets back to you.

Have you tried the windows version of 'MLVFS'?