Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsDPmikey

UPDATE****

Today I had to do a shoot for baptism at the the river and it was that very beautiful sunny California weather that I'm so use to. Any who, I decided to downgrade to the latest 113(4/27/15 this morning) and try to tackle the issue with this pink/glitchy frame problem. I think I may have found the problem.

I always set my 5dm3 to 1080-30fps and in ML override fps to 23.976. This has been my personal settings and have always worked fine with no issues. The reason behind this method is because I do some shoots that require 30fps for tv and its easier to switch between 30 and 24 In ML instead of going into the canon menu everytime. Whenever I need 30 I turn off override and whenever I need 24 I turn in on simple as that.

Well Apparently FORME this has been the cause of the pink glitch frames. It just kinda came across my mind and I decided to test it out right what the heck why not.

I recorded 3 min with CANON 30FPS with override ON to 24fps            and              3 min with 3 CANON 24fps with NO fps override.

As you may already have assumed,  the one with override ON came out with pink glitching frames AND the one with no ovveride came out all 4320 Frames came out clean. I did the same test again and got same results. So I now have decided to keep the 113 and not use override in ML and just take an extra second or two and make the necessary changes in the CANON menu.

Well this was my personal experience. If this was helpful to ya I'm glad if not  sorry.

Please try this out and see if you get the same results.

THANKS FOR READING!
I love this &^*$ MAN!

johannsebastianbach

I noticed, that I got extremely many (same kind of) bad frames, when used 67fps -override, so this could be a indication for it.

I shot for about five days over 350GB with different 113Nightlys, with bad frames almost every second/third MLV's. Now I have one last shooting day ahead this weekend and will test it. Thanks in advance, you will hear from me.

And by the way, for changing the fps in slow-motion. One could switch between NTSC 59,940fps and (in my case) continuous PAL 50.000fps very quickly trough MyMenu Settings.

itsDPmikey

Quote from: johannsebastianbach on May 06, 2015, 07:51:42 AM
I noticed, that I got extremely many (same kind of) bad frames, when used 67fps -override, so this could be a indication for it.

I shot for about five days over 350GB with different 113Nightlys, with bad frames almost every second/third MLV's. Now I have one last shooting day ahead this weekend and will test it. Thanks in advance, you will hear from me.

And by the way, for changing the fps in slow-motion. One could switch between NTSC 59,940fps and (in my case) continuous PAL 50.000fps very quickly trough MyMenu Settings.

I am going to keep that in mind for tomorrows shoot.

Sort of off-topic but I need to get an external viewfinder/monitor for my 5d. I work on a lot of CGI stuff and being in front of the computer isn't helping my eye condition out. I can't rely on my eyes and the tiny 5d screen anymore. So before I go and spend some of my moms money, can anyone recommend me a Monitor that obviously has HDMI supports MagicL  but also has dci high end port options because I'm going to probably upgrade to sf700 or RedEpic or C300MII. I don't want to buy a separate monitor If I can just buy one now that I can use later for other cameras.

IT MUST SUPPORT MAGIC LANTERN

So the real question is, Can I get any monitor as long as it has HDMI support? I'm looking at the Atomos Shogun, Video Devices PIX-E7, Odyssey 7Q 4K, and DP7-PRO OLED

ALSO.. I know that some of these monitors also are recorders but I just need a monitor not necessarily looking for recording feature.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

mejustme

Knows someone if a version for 1.3.3. will be released?

Walter Schulz

woron310

Added support H.264.ini?  There was an assembly?
<H.264.ini not found>

itsDPmikey

Quote from: woron310 on May 07, 2015, 05:34:43 PM
Added support H.264.ini?  There was an assembly?
<H.264.ini not found>

This has been an issue with me since first day I got ML which was last year around March. In the video menu of ML, The H.264.ini has always displayed not found for me.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

woron310

Where can I get H.264.ini for Canon 5D Mark III?

johannsebastianbach

Quote from: itsDPmikey on May 03, 2015, 07:19:23 AM
UPDATE****

Bad news  :-[

These are 170 GB of MLV's. I marked MLV's with pink frames red... Its interesting how they are clustered nearby together. Some of the clips even have six pink frames. I tried to figure out if it had something with the aperture or shutter changes but the conclusion is that the bug is very random.

FPS Override was turned of.

My GlobalDraw was turned on everytime I shot, so I will continue testing with GlobalDraw off next time. I think 4000 Frames is not enough for checking :D

I really would like to figure out where the problem comes from :)

btw, should we open another Thread for this problem?

Audionut

itsDPmikey

Quote from: johannsebastianbach on May 14, 2015, 08:42:59 PM

Bad news  :-[

When I turned off FPSoverride out of the 10gb clips I only got 1 single pink frame. But at this point its more frustrating to find out that its really a "random" type of issue.

one more thing that I noticed: When you hit record you will either see a RED, YELLOW, or GREEN camera status icon. I noticed that the clips that end up with the pink frames(other than  high FPS) are clips that had either the YELLOW or RED status while recording.  Ironically you get YELLOW or RED due to HIGH FPS settings.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

paisleybrew

itsDPmikey: What nightly are you running with 1.1.3?

I recently noticed some pink/bad frames in some clips a shot a while back and wondering which version you were running. Would also be interested in knowing which nightly you are running Alex, as you say you don't experience this issue?

itsDPmikey, I'm not sure that FPSoverride is the issue, as I was running 25fps Canon menu as well as in the ML settings. When I get a chance I'll run some tests and see what I find.

Is there another thread for this issue yet?

Dylan418

Hello all,

I'm just starting out with ML on my 5D3 (1.2.3. with most recent nightly build). My initial results have been great as far as obtaining a wider tonal range but on the downside, I've been getting lots more noise than when I shot simply in H.264 without ML. I've also been getting vertical lines in the shadow areas (as if I had underexposed a high ISO shot by 3-4 stops and brought it back in Cam Raw). My workflow is:

shoot MLV - convert with RawMagic - apply LUT in Davinci Resolve Lite 11 (followed most common workflows on the net) - export to ProRes 4444 - edit in FCPX. I know Davinci Lite has no noise reduction but I've tried the AE/ACR (with noise reduction) workflow and I still get lot's more noise than I'd expect (more than H.264). Any ideas? Thanks!

unfilmde

Dylan418,

I think the latest version of RawMagic fixed the vertical line issue.

itsDPmikey

Quote from: paisleybrew on May 23, 2015, 04:38:41 PM
itsDPmikey: What nightly are you running with 1.1.3?

I recently noticed some pink/bad frames in some clips a shot a while back and wondering which version you were running. Would also be interested in knowing which nightly you are running Alex, as you say you don't experience this issue?

itsDPmikey, I'm not sure that FPSoverride is the issue, as I was running 25fps Canon menu as well as in the ML settings. When I get a chance I'll run some tests and see what I find.

Is there another thread for this issue yet?

Honestly I always update whenever I see an update available. I will tell you that I have gotten the pink glitch frame on every release since march. Right now I'm on the latest May 2nd release.

I had accidentally deleted some files from my CF card and I used LEXAR Image Rescue 5 that came with it and recovered deleted files. I then had to format the card and decided to read up on the diff format options available and Exfat is the best so I did an exFAT format on the computer and got the card in to the camera and shot a 17min non stop 1920x1080 24FPS video which no pink frames. I had realized that I had formatted the cards originally in FAT32 which was limiting the cards to 4gb increments. Please read more on exFAT and other formats.

Also the recording status icon in fat32 use to be yellow and red in 1920x1080 24fps
With exFAT its just green! and I even shot over 2K at 2560x1024 24FPSoverride, and it was still green with no skips. This was AMAZING to say the least. So I recommend to get your cards formatted in exFAT

Try this and please let me know how it works out for you.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

Dylan418

Running everything up to date. It's more like noise that you get when you try and push color correction too far...

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Pizaro

Hi every one please i have a problem with my new camera and am badly in need of hlep.
I have a Canon EOS 5D Mark III and have never install magic lantern in it. That's becauase
i had installed a 1.3.3 firmware in it and have not been able to get the rite  magic lantern for
it please will be very happy if any hleps me thanks.

rpt

Go back to the canon 1.2.3 firmware and install MagicLantern. Simple.

paisleybrew

I've seen someone who went back to a 20th of Feb build and had no pink frames? I'm going to go with this. Anyone else done this?

CraigularB

Found some interesting behavior for ETTR using the latest nightly for 5D3 1.2.3. When Live View and ETTR are both enabled, and ETTR is set to always on, the camera will push the exposure WAY right after taking a photo. I had the longest shutter speed set to 10" in the settings; after taking a picture the shutter speed had been set to 10" and the ISO had been set to 12,800. This doesn't happen when using the viewfinder.

Any ideas?

itsDPmikey

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on May 26, 2015, 06:52:48 PM
exFAT is a lifesaver... As always!

right exactly. I recommend everyone to do so if they have not already.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

extremelypoorfilmaker

Talking about pink frames. I am using magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug07.5D3123 Recently on a Shoot i had to record roughly 4 mins of footage (6000+ frames) was recording at a resolution of 1920x768 (aspect ratio 2.50:1) FPS 23.927 NO FPS Override.

not a single Pink Frame.

So far this nightly build works a treat. I would suggest users who are experiencing Pink Frames to try using that version.

cutnrun

Does anyone have the Canon 5d Mark iii mac firmware files 1.1.3 or 1.2.3?  I currently have 1.2.1 and cannot install ML.  If I update to 1.3.3 I still cannot install ML.   Any help would be appreciated!!!!

italobrito

Sorry for the dumb questions but I still have some:

- Do I install ML on an SD card and put the extra fast CF card in the second slot? Or do I forget about the SD slot and everything goes in the CF?

- Is the uninstallable bootflag modification still present in both 1.1.3 and 1.2.3? Or is it possible to completely and cleanly uninstall ML in both firmwares?

I'm mainly trying to decide whether to go with 1.1.3 or 1.2.3. I won't need the official Canon things in 1.2.3 but there's some extra info in the 1.2.3 thread that isn't present here and I just want to make sure the 1.1.3 also have these options (clean uninstall, optional EosCard, ML restores itself after format etc).