Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenchild9to5

@johannsebastianbach Don't really use the cinemascope function so I'm not sure about it's previous aspect ratio, plus I just got my 5D Mark III.  Been using other cameras with magic lantern 7D, 5D2 & 50D..

johannsebastianbach

With cinemascope I mean only the aspect ration 2.35:1

So if you choose 1280 mode for slow motion and choose aspect ratio 2.35,

Before it was 1920x504 (or508?), now it is 1920x490.

goldenchild9to5

@johannsebastianbach I see.. I think it's because it's on 2:35 aspect ration try putting it on 16:9 and see what happens.  I'll try it myself later today and report back. 

johannsebastianbach

1.1.3 march 25th nightly, but it was on march 16th too.
before I had the 1.2.3 august nightly and it was 504 (or508??)pixels high. Worked continuously too.

In 16:9 is shows me 1920x648 pixels resoluion.

goldenchild9to5

@johannsebastianbach  I just checked and it's  1920x490 in 2.35:1 aspect ratio.  I think before it wasn't the right pixel ratio, all I know is Magic Lantern Team Knows Best  :D.. it's only a few pixels less you won't really see any difference in the image. 

itsDPmikey

AL3X what exactly are your settings to achieve 3k?
I love this &^*$ MAN!

DeafEyeJedi

Try shooting RAW/MLV in crop-mode and see if you can gain higher resolutions... [emoji6]

Jm2c.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

rbrune

To clear up the confusion about 720p mode and vertical pixels in 2.35:1 ratio: The computation of the squeeze factor wasn't always correct and a patch I made submitted recently fixes that.
The correct vertical squeeze factor is 5/3 = ~1.666x before it was reported as 1.61x
So in current magic lantern one should get a resolution of 1920/(2.35*1.66) = 490.

Greenduck

Quick question:

I have a Canon 5D Mark III and want to try ML. As of now I only have a single SD card but will get a CF card in the nearest future. Can I save my pictures and video files to the same card as Magic Lantern is installed on or do I need to memory cards?

Thanks, Jakob

rpt

Short answer:
Yes.

Caveat:
Dont format the card once you have ML loaded on it if you use only one card. If you want to format the card I would uninstall ML, copy ML files to a temp folder on the computer, format the card, Reload ML files from the temp folder and re-install ML. However, the development gurus may give you a shorter process.

Best practice (mine):
Get a SD card for ML. They are dirt cheap. You can get by with a 1 GB card. I have a 4GB card.

Walter Schulz

Why that complicated? Default format option will keep ML on the card.

rpt

Thanks Walter. Could you elaborate for me?

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> User Guide -> FAQ -> Usage -> 4th question

rpt

@Greenduck, above is your answer. I told you the development gurus would give you a better solution.
:)

Greenduck

Thanks guys for the quick answers. I will definitely get another card for for ML and one for images/video.

Looking forward to try out ML. It seems it really opens up for the cameras video capabilities.

Greenduck

So I've installed ML on my SD card and as far as I know I'm recording to my Sandisk Extreme 64GB 120MB/s CF card. I have loaded the following modules: mlv_play, mlv_record and raw_rec. But when I record I get an error message about skipped frames after 8-15 second.

"Early stop (11) Didn't make it to estimated record time"

How do I solve this?

Walter Schulz

And loading MLV_REC.mo and RAW_REC.mo at the same time doesn't make much sense.
Will really hurt only after activating both record modes in movie tab.

esphoto57

I upgraded the firmware on my 5D MK III to 1.3.3 and now the ML on my SD flashes but will not allow the camera to boot and has to be reset by removing the card and battery. Also the Eye Fi card will not allow the camera to boot as well. Is there a fix for this? Please send any tutorial that will let me regain my camera funtions.

Walter Schulz

chris_overseas

Magic Lantern builds are always for a specific version of the Canon firmware. In the case of the 5D3, there are nightly builds for 1.1.3 and 1.2.3 firmware only. There is experimental code that provides 1.3.3 support but it is not well tested and you would have to build it yourself.

If you still want to use Magic Lantern, I'd suggest you downgrade back to 1.2.3 or 1.1.3. If you no longer want to use Magic Lantern, you should disable the bootflag on your camera by flashing the ML installer .fir firmware and waiting a minute for the bootflag to be disabled (as per the on-screen instructions). You might need to downgrade to 1.2.3 for this to work.

Quote from: esphoto57 on April 08, 2015, 05:52:48 PM
I upgraded the firmware on my 5D MK III to 1.3.3 and now the ML on my SD flashes but will not allow the camera to boot and has to be reset by removing the card and battery. Also the Eye Fi card will not allow the camera to boot as well. Is there a fix for this? Please send any tutorial that will let me regain my camera funtions.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

itsDPmikey

AL3X: I've ran some tests with MLV for about 45 minutes, trying to push it beyond limits (30/60fps, 3.5K, magic zoom or focus peaking while recording), but could not get a single pink frame or crash.

Tried on both 1.2.3 and 1.1.3.

Therefore, without proper feedback from those experiencing the issue, there's nothing I can do. I'm looking at you, itsDPmikey, bayard1965, swinxx, dubzeebass, and others who may have reported it in other threads.

Ok AL3X, I again did a few tests and had same issues.

23.976FPS
1920X1080 mlv
EVERYTHING normal default settings.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

unfilmde

"Ok AL3X, I again did a few tests and had same issues.
"

I just watched the video.  Boy those pink flashes are very reminiscent of digital dropout you used to get on digital video tape.  Is it possible the write speed of the card is not fast enough?  Have you low level reformatted the card so it is not fragmented?  I'm curious if the card is fragmented, could it be trying to write to contiguous space and it causes dropout.

itsDPmikey

Quote from: unfilmde on April 11, 2015, 07:58:47 PM
"Ok AL3X, I again did a few tests and had same issues.
"

I just watched the video.  Boy those pink flashes are very reminiscent of digital dropout you used to get on digital video tape.  Is it possible the write speed of the card is not fast enough?  Have you low level reformatted the card so it is not fragmented?  I'm curious if the card is fragmented, could it be trying to write to contiguous space and it causes dropout.

Well I'm no expert and can't really be sure what the cause is but I don't think its the card because I have 3 of them and all 3 get the same results. I have 2x 32gb LEXAR 1066X UDMA7 65 and 1 128gb LEXAR 1066x

Also One more thing that makes me think its not the cards is that just last night I upgraded to 1.2.3 and used the latest 1.2.3 build and recorded bunch of diff FRAMERATES and resulutions up to 2.5k wide cinematic ratio and NOT 1 single drop of frame or pink frames or glitch effect(did not test on all cards, assuming would be same results)

Again this is my own personal experience and thoghts that 1.2.3 is more stable and reliable.

But I'd like to get more of your opinion on the defrag situation which I don't think I have ever done. I always format cards IN THE CAMERA when I'm done offloading the files.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

DeafEyeJedi

Instead of formatting as exFAT?

IMHO, I feel more confident when shooting in 113 versus 123* only because I like to be able to squeeze every ounce of speed as much as possible and I also don't really need the clean HDMI out nor the F8 autofocus fix....

*Unless I'm using it on paid gig when field monitors are required.

That's JM2C!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109