Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itsDPmikey

To AL3X : Yes I have ran some tests, same tests to be exact on both firmwares and my results are the same.

I did tests on different res to different aspect ratio, to different fps.
I even did some tests with unloading module except for the raw rec just so I can get the best results when it comes to fps and res size.

As TWINXX said, 1.1.3 might be a lil faster but 1.2.3 is much more stable.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

zekid63

Hello everyone. I installed Magic Lantern on my 5DMK3  (1.2.3). Let me know if this is normal that in my Audio menu I have only two options? "speaker volume" and "beep, test tones."
Where are the other options?
Where can I find recent screenshots of magic lantern for 5DMK3?

And I want to know how to put the white balance to "auto"? Thank you !

Sorry for my English !

Walter Schulz

Yes, Audio menu looks like that. Use Canon's menu to tune audio settings. You will get more menu options in ML for MLV sound recording after MLV_SND.mo is loaded.
And setting WB to auto is done in Canon's menu, too.

zekid63

Thank you very much, indeed I solved my problems. There are still fewer options for 5DMK3 than other models, right? Or you can find it in the options menus Canon?

Walter Schulz

There are cams which more options and there are cams with less.
See http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features

zekid63

Thank you, is that we can hope for improvements for the 5D3 or arrested development?

Walter Schulz

Sorry, what are you talking about?
Things handled properly by Canon will not be ported to ML.

johannsebastianbach

Hello :)
@ swinxx, bayard1965 and itsDPmikey

Can you tell me since when exactly the new bad frames problem started, were the march versions before okay (there were a lot)? I just need to start my final degree work next week and would like to stick with 1.1.3 because of 50p. But I want to minimize the risk of getting bad frames :) Which nightly to take?

And just of curiosity. Do you think, that it is okay to get the newest ML nightly, but exchange the older, more stable mlv_rec module? Or should I better leave it alone, because the module is connected to the Firmware and could produce version dependent errors.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Oh, one more question. I noticed, that in 1280 mode the pixel height for cinemascope is now 1920x490 rather than 1920x508 before. Is this supposed to be? If yes, what is the reason, because many people could get continuous 1920x508 50p. I thought maybe this way you can get continuous 1920x490 60p but no chance. Nightly 1.1.3 March 25 - sandisk extreme pro

silenthunter

Did everyone already installed new version 2015-03-16 for 1.2.3 fw? :D
I didn't notice any changes so far.

dubzeebass

Quote from: johannsebastianbach on March 25, 2015, 08:49:48 PM
Hello :)
@ swinxx, bayard1965 and itsDPmikey

Can you tell me since when exactly the new bad frames problem started, were the march versions before okay (there were a lot)? I just need to start my final degree work next week and would like to stick with 1.1.3 because of 50p. But I want to minimize the risk of getting bad frames :) Which nightly to take?

And just of curiosity. Do you think, that it is okay to get the newest ML nightly, but exchange the older, more stable mlv_rec module? Or should I better leave it alone, because the module is connected to the Firmware and could produce version dependent errors.

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Oh, one more question. I noticed, that in 1280 mode the pixel height for cinemascope is now 1920x490 rather than 1920x508 before. Is this supposed to be? If yes, what is the reason, because many people could get continuous 1920x508 50p. I thought maybe this way you can get continuous 1920x490 60p but no chance. Nightly 1.1.3 March 25 - sandisk extreme pro

I have the latest 5d3 build with the MLV_REC and SND from the August build and it works perfectly.

jordanwalkert

Quote from: dubzeebass on March 26, 2015, 12:32:34 AM
I have the latest 5d3 build with the MLV_REC and SND from the August build and it works perfectly.

Does the newest build include the full red silent pictures mode? Anxious to see how that is!

Audionut

Brandon

I shoot with a SmallHD AC7 monitor on my 5D3 and I've seen that there is a significant crop happening on the AC7 while running ML. I've tried settings on the AC7 but i don't see anything in ML that seems to fix this. Anyone have any ideas?

itsDPmikey

to johannsebastianbach,

I have used the ML 1.2.3 since first day I got my 5DMIII and it was very stable/reliable. It was just recently last month I think, that I decided to try the 1.1.3 since there were so many people claiming that 1.1.3 was better or faster. I experienced the crashes and choppy flickery pink frames as early as the first day of installing 1.1.3.

I just want to say that this is not a rant or anything like that. I highly respect the geniuses behind ML and I thank them for their hard work. The fact that they have worked so hard to give us the option to choose between what works best for us is really great.

In my opinion...
-IF you are using a LEXAR 1066X or something as equivalent, AND you know you aren't going to push anything higher than 30fps with normal 1080 or lower, to do professional work without much worry and get consistency then I would recommend 1.2.3

BUT!
If you are someone who wants to push the limits(over 30fps x 2K or 60fps x 1080) understanding its consequences and want to find out whats the best results they can get(might not be consistent) then I would recommend 1.1.3

ALSO keep in mind that some modules and features are firmware specific.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

flostro

Do you have "DSLR Scale" activated on the AC7? It crops the incoming signal because Canon DSLRs used to output the image with a black frame around the image. FW 1.2.3 changed the output to Fullscreen so You don't need the feature on a 5DIII.

Brandon

Yes i have "DSLR Scale" off however it looks as tho the AC7 still recognizes that the signal is from the 5D3. If you look at the image.. may be a little hard to see but you can see all of the door handle and you can also see the wall thermostat on the camera LCD but is not in the AC7. I have a photo of it but I'm not used to how the HTML insert photo thing works.

lostfeliz

I don't have a cropping issue with my Ikan 7" monitor and 1.2.3 firmware. Without it, I'm hopeless trying to get sharp focus with a 5D.

Brandon

So i solved my own issue.. I updated the firmware on my AC7 and that fixed the issue :) Thanks ML guys for all your smart brains come up with!

a1ex

I've ran some tests with MLV for about 45 minutes, trying to push it beyond limits (30/60fps, 3.5K, magic zoom or focus peaking while recording), but could not get a single pink frame or crash.

Tried on both 1.2.3 and 1.1.3.

Therefore, without proper feedback from those experiencing the issue, there's nothing I can do. I'm looking at you, itsDPmikey, bayard1965, swinxx, dubzeebass, and others who may have reported it in other threads.

I repeat the instructions:
Quote from: a1ex
1. Find a way to reproduce.

Most likely this will not be something fully deterministic. Look for things like "if I record 10 videos, each of them 10 seconds long, with settings XYZ, about 2 or 3 of them will have pink frames".

2. Check if the problem still happens on the previous version (last summer). If yes, stop here.

3. Downgrade to 1.1.3 and see if the problem persists. If no, stop here.

4. Do a binary search to find the exact nightly build where the issue appeared.

Once that build is identified, we will know where to look.

goldenchild9to5

@a1ex Just got my 5D Mark III & tested the latest nightly build running on 1.1.3 all day yesterday and I haven't encountered any pink frames seems to be very stable for both slomotion shots and regular 1080p.  Also one observation I'm getting more than 25 sec recording shooting full 1920x1080 48fps Slomotion, and about 18 sec shooting 60fps MLV format with audio using a Lexar 1066x  64GB card.  Was reading other post and others were just getting 5 sec max.  Thank you for all the developments of the Hacks..

jordanwalkert

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on March 28, 2015, 04:48:25 PM
@a1ex Just got my 5D Mark III & tested the latest nightly build running on 1.1.3 all day yesterday and I haven't encountered any pink frames seems to be very stable for both slomotion shots and regular 1080p.  Also one observation I'm getting more than 25 sec recording shooting full 1920x1080 48fps Slomotion, and about 18 sec shooting 60fps MLV format with audio using a Lexar 1066x  64GB card.  Was reading other post and others were just getting 5 sec max.  Thank you for all the developments of the Hacks..

What settings are you changing for the 48fps and 60fps, just the regular "desired fps option"? Are you still setting the Canon menu to 720p60?

goldenchild9to5

@jordanwalkert What's sup Jordan here are my settings.. 

Canon Menu:  Image Quality: RAW (No Jpeg) not sure if it makes a difference but that's what's working for me. 
                     Auto Lighting Optimizer: OFF
                     Long exp. Noise Reduction: OFF
                     High ISO Speed NR: OFF
                     Highlight Tone Priority: OFF
                     Multiple exposure: Disable
                     HDR Mode: Disable HDR
                     Video Mode: 720p 60fps ALL-I

Magic Lantern: Overlay: Global Draw: On, all modes  (When Global Draw off you get more seconds like 25+ Seconds I was able to get @ full HD)
                                    Spotmeter: On
                                    Histogram: On
                                    Waveform: On
                      Movie:     Raw Video (MLV) 1920x649 aspect ratio 16:9 (In Resolution submenu make sure you have Card Warm-up On, mines is set to 128MB - Extra Hacks ON - Use SRM Job ON
                                                               Files > 4GIB (exFat) On and you can mess around with the rest) 

So far those are all the settings I'm currently using, still tweaking it to see how much more I can get out of the camera.  One more thing before you shoot any Raw videos make sure you format your CF card to ExFAT for longer recordings.  If you have any other questions feel free to ask take care. 

jordanwalkert

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on March 28, 2015, 09:40:51 PM
@jordanwalkert What's sup Jordan here are my settings.. 

Canon Menu:  Image Quality: RAW (No Jpeg) not sure if it makes a difference but that's what's working for me. 
                     Auto Lighting Optimizer: OFF
                     Long exp. Noise Reduction: OFF
                     High ISO Speed NR: OFF
                     Highlight Tone Priority: OFF
                     Multiple exposure: Disable
                     HDR Mode: Disable HDR
                     Video Mode: 720p 60fps ALL-I

Magic Lantern: Overlay: Global Draw: On, all modes  (When Global Draw off you get more seconds like 25+ Seconds I was able to get @ full HD)
                                    Spotmeter: On
                                    Histogram: On
                                    Waveform: On
                      Movie:     Raw Video (MLV) 1920x649 aspect ratio 16:9 (In Resolution submenu make sure you have Card Warm-up On, mines is set to 128MB - Extra Hacks ON - Use SRM Job ON
                                                               Files > 4GIB (exFat) On and you can mess around with the rest) 

So far those are all the settings I'm currently using, still tweaking it to see how much more I can get out of the camera.  One more thing before you shoot any Raw videos make sure you format your CF card to ExFAT for longer recordings.  If you have any other questions feel free to ask take care.

Thanks so much for the info! I appreciate it. I guess what confused me is that you said you were getting slow motion at 1920x1080, but in your settings you have your resolution as 1920x649. Are you stretching it in post??

goldenchild9to5

johannsebastianbach

Thank you a lot for the answers :)

I noticed, that in 1280 mode the pixel height for cinemascope is now 1920x490 rather than 1920x508 before. Is this supposed to be?