Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

At time of writing this function is not implemented in nightly builds.
Development is dormant right now. Expect some news next year.
See http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9848.msg133878#msg133878

dmbpettit

How is the latest version doing with eye-fi cards in the SD slot?

remure

hey .. i have installed ML the latest build for the 5dmkIII running 1.2.3 .. there was no problem so far ... i did some raw recording etc .. but i came to format card remove the bootflag , so i did it .. now i have trouble that the camera wont boot from time to time after removing the ML firmware ... i can get it running by removing battery , cards etc switching on/off.. and than i get a startup .. i updated over the 1.2.3 .. with no sucsess... it seems that after a time the camera seems to go in a freeze .... i can turn  off/on with sucsess when i do it in short time .. if i leave the camera with battery cards off for let say an hour it wont boot into orginal state .. any idea ?? thx !!

walter_schulz

Sorry, unable to sort out what you did and tried to do.

Remove battery, remove card. Insert battery. Don't insert card. Startup cam.
Results?

remure

without cards camera starts .... as soon i put a card in it doesnt start ... have two cards 1 CF lexar1066x 64gb + eyefi pro/x2 16gb.... after i put the cads in i get no led conformatiom/ the camera hangs until i remove the battery ... all this is after i removed bootflag + format card in camera ...

walter_schulz

You haven't removed the cam's bootflag. And the cards are still bootable.

Copy you ML downloads (extracted) to card: FIR + Autoexec.bin + ML directory
and run install again to remove cams bootflag and delete cards bootoption.
Remaining cards may be formatted using a cardreader but that's up to you.
After the cam's bootflag is removed they will use bootable and non bootable card the very same way.

remure

ok i did run firmware update from the ML card , i waited for x sec to remove the bootflag, i got the info bootable 0 in the right upper corner .. its done ?

walter_schulz

HondaATC

Query;

I am currently running ML newest nightly build on an SD card only in my 5d3. I wanted to enable dual ISO and it tells me to enable RAW photo quality from the Canon menu, which I have. However since I'm running SD card only in the second slot, I'm assuming dual iso is checking for the CF card and not finding it, causing this message. Just wondered if anyone could confirm or perhaps let me know if I am doing something wrong :)

Have used dual iso on my t3i a lot in the past and been very surprised and impressed with what it could do.

tron

I guess you have to enable RAW and either choose "Auto Switch card" or "Rec to Multiple" options.

So as to be able to write RAW even on SD card when CF is missing.

TEST:
I have selected RAW (only), "Rec to Multiple" option and removed my CF card. I have enabled DUAL ISO and it works.

tron

Quick question: Is the latest version the Nightly.2014Sep26 (22:33:23) or there is an even newer build?

Thanks

HondaATC

That fixed it, thanks!

Now I gotta read the help files and learn the menu a bit, its laid out differently with a different option set than the version I had on my T3i - I had 2 ISO's to work with before and now it has a "Recovery ISO" field instead.

tony sharples

Any indication of how long its likely to be before AGC toggle is added to this build for 5D3. Its the main reason i want to use ML with 5D3. Just want to find out if its long term problem or a short term fix.

dubzeebass

Turn it off in the regular camera settings. Set audio to manual.

remure

i have two 64 CF cards .. want to use both in exchange so one can go to backup while i record on the other one ... how to manage in context of ML ?? what happen with the setting file etc .... 

chris_overseas

Quote from: remure on December 31, 2014, 06:13:37 PM
i have two 64 CF cards .. want to use both in exchange so one can go to backup while i record on the other one ... how to manage in context of ML ?? what happen with the setting file etc .... 

By far the best option IMHO is to buy a cheap SD card and use it exclusively for ML.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

walter_schulz

You may copy ML\Settings from one card to another. ML has no sync mechanism for users of multiple cards.
On cams with multiple slots it is indeed easier to use one card to start ML from and several data storage cards.

remure

i have a eyefi 2x pro 16gb card ..  can it be used for ML ??? i have read somwhere here not to use the eyfi cards ..

walter_schulz

Any slow and outdated SD-card with 4 MByte or up (yes, it's an M and no G!) will do.

PoVid

I tried using an eyefi card while I had ML installed on a CF card and it froze up my camera, with the magiclantern-Nightly.2014Aug07.5D3123 build. I wouldn't recommend using eyefi along with ML.

rpt

achangsta

Hey guys, Sorry if I'm missing something but when I go to the ML nightly download page http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/ and select 5D3.123, the latest build was on 2014-08-06. When I select 5D3.113, the latest build was on 2015-01-02. Is there a reason the ML build for firmware 113 is being developed more often than the 123 firmware? I thought all development has been migrated over to the the 1.2.3 firmware. Thanks for your help!

walter_schulz

Oh, Nightly Builds are running in again!
If you look into release history you will see there was a break for about 3 months for all camera versions.
ML for 5D3 1.2.3 is something *not* following the "standard" pace.

achangsta

Quote from: walter_schulz on January 03, 2015, 09:47:58 PM
Oh, Nightly Builds are running in again!
If you look into release history you will see there was a break for about 3 months for all camera versions.
ML for 5D3 1.2.3 is something *not* following the "standard" pace.

I knew about the development hiatus, but I guess you're right that it's not following the "standard" schedule. I looked a few pages back and saw the post from a1ex about him wanting to focus more on the stills functions rather than video. Hopefully someone else will take over the development.

camagna

Hi tron, where did you find the Sep 26 build? The latest I could find is an Aug 08 for 5DIII 1.2.3. Please let me know! Best.