Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody084

Is it technically possible to have Magic Zoom triggered by the half-shutter press as it was on the MKII?

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: woody084 on December 05, 2014, 04:42:52 AM
Is it technically possible to have Magic Zoom triggered by the half-shutter press as it was on the MKII?

This feature works well on the 7D and would definitely be a +1 if it were to be implemented in the nightly for 5D3 one of these days...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dubzeebass

Quote from: DeafEyeJedi on December 05, 2014, 06:16:21 PM
This feature works well on the 7D and would definitely be a +1 if it were to be implemented in the nightly for 5D3 one of these days...

+2

dubzeebass

Recommend starting its own topic. I'll bump it.

DeafEyeJedi

rawvideo

Hello there,

is the 2 second delay you never get rid of again still and issue? Or can I get my camera back as it was after using ML?

Also if watching a raw video stream is not working very well on the camera about about a connected android smartphone? Would this work to check the recording?

dmilligan

1. It's possible to fully remove ML now

2. You need a computer with a decent GPU to be able to playback raw video in realtime (demosaicing is a rather computationally intensive task)

BTW: this thread is not the place to be posting questions about raw video (as has been stated many times previously)

rawvideo

That sounds good. Could I put ML on a small SD card and just remove it to turn it off?

No option to check the recorded raw video on set is not so great though.

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> User Guide -> FAQ
You can watch but review in realtime is not possible.

rawvideo

Does the 4GB limits also affect raw video recording?

How is raw video on the battery, I would imagine it could save some compared to normal encoded video because the CPU doesn't have to compress it..but then its more data. Will it empty my batteries faster?

Walter Schulz

QuoteBTW: this thread is not the place to be posting questions about raw video (as has been stated many times previously)

Ben_

Hello everyone, and sorry in advance if my questions make you pull your hair out in frustration. It is not my intention. I promise.

I have been following the project for e few years and the the tools you release and the results that can be made with them are pretty amazing. I am a film photographer who most of the time shoot on my own 5D3 1.2.3., but the RAW-video results that ML produce are unbelievable. It looks close to something coming out of a way higher end camera. SO, enough babbling. Since the camera is expensive, I just want to shoot you a few questions. Feel free to ignore them if you do not have time to answer.

Is there still an issue with pink pixels?
Have anyone – as far as you heard of – destroyed or broken their camera, 5D3 in particular, by using ML?
Since the boot flag issue has been resolved; does that mean that the camera can now be restored to actual factory settings with no trace of hack? I have found it hard to find an answer to this.
How reliable do you (users in general) find ML to be?

I would ideally like to use it when doing video production work, but am also well aware that this is something without any guarantees. I would however very much appreciate any info or experiences that you want to share regarding the reliability and stability. There is always a risk when using with software like this, but it is alot easier to make the jump if it seems to be working well for others already.

Thank you, and keep up the great work!

kontrakatze

Hi,
does anybody know why there are no more nightlies for the 5dII 1.2.3 since August? Other branches get updated, so it does not appear to be a complete stall of the development...

kontrakatze

Walter Schulz

The last build for any ML supported cam run 8th of October.
https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/
I don't know which branches you are referring to.

swinxx

Simple: Because a1ex has stopped the development.

jordanwalkert

I guess development on the SLR's are done now due to this new fancy schmancy 4k camera they're working on now :(

kontrakatze

@Walter Schulz: No, the 5dMark III 1.2.3 latest build is from August 7th.
But I anyway, I used the word branches in a misunderstanding way. What I meant was, that the builds for different cams are not the same date and that there are no new ones.

kontrakatze

Yes, it seems the whole project is stalled for whatever reason. But I can't believe that this here is a one man show and if a1ex has other things to do, it breaks. Or am I wrong?

DeafEyeJedi

Relax guys... This is the same pattern they go through on a yearly basis -- everything is gonna be alright and I'm a happy swinger between 1.1.3 & 1.2.3 nightlies with no fear of destroying the 5D3!

Stedda

QuoteBut I can't believe that this here is a one man show and if a1ex has other things to do, it breaks. Or am I wrong?

Wrong, it's open to everyone of us to contribute and since it's free a1ex can stop anytime and doesn't owe anyone a reason why...
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

pv25pv

The last build is perfect for me..no drops no pinks everything is fine working with monitors & external recorders..all is stable for me. I think the development is capped for this camera...you wont get 4k or coffee out of it coz its hardware restricted...what more do you want?
5Dmk3
24-105mm f/4L _ 16-35mm f/2.8L II _ 50mm f/1.4 _ TS-E 90mm f/2.8 _ Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX

woody084

Hey dubzeebass, where should the seperate topic for the 'Magic Zoom on half shutter for MKIII' be created? Or have you done it?

Super keen for this function or to know if its technically possible.

dubzeebass

Cdimitrius

Hi guys,
I just installed the latest Nightly Build for my 5d3 after updating the camera firmware but I cant load the modules like I used to do on 113 canon firmware. Can you guys help me with this?
Most of the video features are not here on this build as it used to be before when I was using the 113 firmware.
please send me any hint.
Best

Jgburch

Does the "Voice Tag" feature work on a Canon 5dmiii?
I don't see it anywhere.
I downloaded ML just a few days ago.