Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vovkinson

get yourself a camera that has this feature or wait....
Will we ever see that full res silent pictures feature in the 5D3.123 build? I'm very interested in this feature as I have some time lapses coming up I need to shoot.

jordanwalkert

Quote from: vovkinson on October 22, 2014, 01:43:46 PM
get yourself a camera that has this feature or wait....
Will we ever see that full res silent pictures feature in the 5D3.123 build? I'm very interested in this feature as I have some time lapses coming up I need to shoot.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

ChadMuffin

Yesterday, I updated from 1.1.3 to 1.2.3 on my 5D3 with ML. The installation process was very simple, it has come a long way from a few years ago. I did not have any issues. I was able to record 1080p with a solid green icon for 1 min before I ended the test and after a 1GB card warm up on my KB 64GB 1000x. I did not come across bugs in my non-scientific tests. However, I did not use any HDMI tools.

DirtyCarleone

Can u post the download link for the ML 5dmarkIII 1.2.3.

ChadMuffin

Refer to the first post of this article for the download and install instructions. You can download it by clicking on "It's Out!" on the first post.

DeafEyeJedi

Successfully installed ML 1.2.3 after updating firmware from 1.1.3 to 1.2.3 -- been itching to do this for some time. Love the new installation/uninstallation process. Features are pretty much the same if not better.  8)

Now I am curious (dumb enough to ask) how to implement Full_Res Silent Photos into my Modules... do I just copy the coding from the bitbucket site and merge them with the current Modules?

Thanks again everyone for your support!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks @Audionut -- that's exactly what I wanted to see. You ROCK!

I'll test it out tonight after work...

ntbone

I am not sure if this is the best place to post this.

I have 2 5D MK III's with the same latest firmware.  I began using Magic Lantern on them. I noticed one of my 2 cameras wake's up and powers on way slower then the other.  I have tried swapping memory cards, batteries. I even reset the problematic camera. I formatted the cards removing Magic Lantern but the camera still boots up and wakes up noticeably slower then the other one.

A google search brought me to this
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3016685 but its for the 5D MK II and a rather old thread.

Anybody ever seen this, know if its related to Magic Lantern having been used and how I might fix the problem?

Walter Schulz

To make ML run you need 3 things:
- Cam with bootflag set
- Bootable card
- Card with ML files on it
During startup a cam with bootflag set will look for a bootable cam. This will cause a slight delay during startup. Same for leaving powersave mode.
Formatting the card will *not* reset cam's bootflag!
You have to reset/remove cam's bootflag by running installation again. Look for instructions during installation. Just wait 30 seconds and bootflag will be gone after.

insch

I am about to take the plunge. One question before I do - I currently have Canon Firmware 1.2.3 on my main CF card. I am considering putting the ML software on a separate SD card and using that card for nothing else. If I do, and both cards are in the camera at the same time could there be a firmware conflict?

My theory is that I will have the SD card in the camera whenever I want to use ML but if I want to revert to the Canon firmware I will just take that card out and re-start the camera. I am hoping it will then revert to the Canon firmware. Is that right?

Is the above a good strategy?

Thank you.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: insch on October 25, 2014, 11:32:10 PMI currently have Canon Firmware 1.2.3 on my main CF card.

You may have the file for the firmware update process on the card. But this is just a file and it is not doing anything on its own.
You can (and should) delete it after updating Canon's firmware.
Magic Lantern doesn't replace Canon's firmware. It runs a a task upon the OS of the cam. Just like any programm running at startup on your computer. And it is indeed loaded from the card at startup.

The rest: Top of Page -> User Guide -> FAQ

insch

Thanks Walter. I understand that the Canon firmware file isn't doing anything off the card. The reason I have left it on there is just as a backup in case I ever need to re-install the firmware on the camera. You say that I should take the file off this card - is there any harm leaving it on there? Is the reason you advise taking it off that there might be a conflict with the ML firmware?

Best

vovkinson

F.A.Q

QuoteThanks Walter. I understand that the Canon firmware file isn't doing anything off the card. The reason I have left it on there is just as a backup in case I ever need to re-install the firmware on the camera. You say that I should take the file off this card - is there any harm leaving it on there? Is the reason you advise taking it off that there might be a conflict with the ML firmware?

insch

Thanks Walter - are you saying that this has been dealt with in FAQ (if so, where is that?) or that it should be added to FAQ?

Best

DeafEyeJedi

Loving the features on 1.2.3 w ML -- I remember reading somewhere in the forums earlier that the 3x crop mode during RAW/MLV does NOT work. I understand that this works just fine on 1.1.3 -- would you guys suggest I downgrade in order to use 3x crop mode or is there a way to get it fixed on 1.2.3?

My gut feeling is that it isn't implemented into the 1.2.3 build yet...

Correct me if I'm wrong!

swinxx

@DeafEyeJedi
i have used 3xcrop and it seems to work fine in the build from august 07..

@devs:
is there a possibility to get the improved read file mlv viewer, which can playback the mlvs faster? some time ago there were some threads about such improvements..

thx. swinxx

DeafEyeJedi

I believe the build I am using is the one that's from sept 27th? I'll check when I my hands on the 5D3...

swinxx

i had the build from sept on my camera, but full res was not really working for me.. i got many errors, so i turned back to august, which seems stable, although no full res pic, and no fast mlv viewer on board..
hope that the build for 1.2.3 will soon be updated to be on par with all the other cams.
thx.

DeafEyeJedi

Copy that @swinxx -- however if i understand it correctly that indeed it is fine to stay on 1.2.3 as opposed to downgrading back to 1.1.3?

Strange enough though that full_res silent pic works pretty well on sept 27th build... I'll see if I can test out the 3x crop mode again. Because I could swear I shot it in 3x mode and then when watching it on MLRV 1.3.4 -- it just shows as if i never used the 3x mode.

Will confirm this again later tonight when I get home from work. Thanks all!

ottschke

I missed the September 27 th build...it isn't in Downloads right? Still using 7th August build and it works great. Sometimes my cam freezes and I have to turn it off...for example when I record longer clips with 30 or 60fps...but everything else seems to work.

I really hope for the 7D2 to be more capable of 60fps...or is it only the card what limits me on the 5D3?

Walter Schulz

Thanks for the insight. My own magicball is in repair ...

ninjaboss

Just got ML for the 5D Mark III and I'm really digging it. My previous cam was a 550D with ML and I noticed the Shutter Lock feature isn't on the 5D Version.  Maybe I'm blind or that feature just isn't in this version?

ninjaboss

Than you for that Audionut!  I couldn't find this link before.  Gracias