Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jafa

7/8/14 build , any idea why my iso is set to 160 but ML shows it as 200 , if i set 640 ML shows it as 800 ?

Markus

Quote from: jafa on August 14, 2014, 04:00:35 PM
7/8/14 build , any idea why my iso is set to 160 but ML shows it as 200 , if i set 640 ML shows it as 800 ?

When shooting raw you only get multiples of 100 (200,400,800,1600 etc.) Those in between iso modes are applyed as digital gain to the compressed h264 video files. So those in between modes are always based on one of the real iso values and does nothing to the raw stream that you grab and record when shooting raw.

jafa

budafilms

Quote from: Markus on August 14, 2014, 06:43:12 PM
When shooting raw you only get multiples of 100 (200,400,800,1600 etc.) Those in between iso modes are applyed as digital gain to the compressed h264 video files. So those in between modes are always based on one of the real iso values and does nothing to the raw stream that you grab and record when shooting raw.

Interesting!
And the ML EV? In the ML menu, has something over the real ISO?

budafilms

Quote from: satotmp on August 14, 2014, 12:25:04 PM
Hi,I noticed that the screen is trimed in external monitor when global draw is on.
the top some line is hidden by a black line.

Can I remove the black line and get full pixel?

REAR LCD
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5542662/ML/th_rearLCD.jpg

EXTERNAL LCD
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5542662/ML/th_externalLCD.jpg

5D3 1.2.3+MLNightly.2014Aug07.5D3123.zip,

Try put Global Draw Off, not Allow.
I prefer Allow, for the margins.

Walter Schulz

Offtopic: Could you please stop using full quotes?

bortoman

Hello,
is there a stable release to download somewhere or do i have to download a "nightly build" to get magiclantern on my mk3?

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads
====
Stable supported for
    5D Mark ii 2.1.2
    50D 1.0.9
    60D 1.1.1
    500D 1.1.1
    550D 1.0.9
    600D 1.0.2
===

satotmp

Quote from: budafilms on August 15, 2014, 06:05:44 AM
Try put Global Draw Off, not Allow.
I prefer Allow, for the margins.
Thank you.

I got a solution.
When Cropmarks is on,the black line vanished.
So,I create a transparent bmp file.

bye

jordanwalkert

There was mention a little while ago about the ML Team finding a way to squeeze another stop or so of dynamic range out of the camera. Was this feature ever implemented and is there a way to utilize this on 1.2.3? I never heard about it rolling out or see any options to turn it on anywhere.

Audionut

Off-topic discussion about basic raw post processing moved over here:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13044.0

Quote from: a1ex on May 12, 2014, 08:59:06 AM
RAW and MLV are not the core of ML, they are just applications (sure, very popular ones). There is a forum area dedicated to raw recording, so please discuss raw issues there.

I prefer this thread to be about core issues specific to 5D3 (in particular, problems introduced in 1.2.3 that did not exist in 1.1.3).

a1ex

Before posting, it's a good idea to read at least the first and the last post from the thread.

Locking the thread for 1 month, and there will be no more updates on the 1.2.3 branch during this period.

Quote from: a1ex on May 12, 2014, 08:59:06 AM
RAW and MLV are not the core of ML, they are just applications (sure, very popular ones). There is a forum area dedicated to raw recording, so please discuss raw issues there.

I prefer this thread to be about core issues specific to 5D3 (in particular, problems introduced in 1.2.3 that did not exist in 1.1.3).

edit by Audionut:
Please also consider this message when the thread reopens.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3072.msg126650#msg126650
Quote- encourage newcomers to post in the right forum (I've locked the 1.2.3 thread because it was flooded with offtopic questions about RAW/MLV)

Thread re-opened. Any messages about RAW/MLV from this thread will be deleted without notice.

drjlo

Is anyone else having problems with exp comp EXIF data being tagged wrong since ML 1.2.3 install?

Since installing Magic Lantern 1.2.3 on 5D III, I have noticed that my files shot at 0 EV exposure comp are wrongly tagged as either +1/3 EV (seen in Digital Photo Professional) or "+1 Step" (in Windows Explorer window, flickr). 

Files shot with +1/3 EV are wrongly tagged as +1/2 EV (DPP) and "+0.5 Step" in Windows explorer and "+1 EV" in flickr.  A file shot with +2/3 EV actually showed as nonsense under flickr EXIF,  "-1/2 EV"

Has anyone noticed similar problems since installing Magic Lantern 1.2.3. on 5D III?  Any way to fix this or could this possibly be some other issue, although the only change has been Magic Lantern?

Below are examples:

Shot at 0 EV, tagged as +1/3 EV (DPP) or "+1 Step" (in Windows Explorer window, flickr). 
1)0EV by drjlo1, on Flickr

Shot at +1/3 EV, tagged as +1/2 EV (DPP) and "+0.5 Step" in Windows explorer and +1 EV in flickr.
2)+0.33EV by drjlo1, on Flickr

walter_schulz

For diagnostic reasons in would be fine to have access to the original file.
Can you zip it and upload it to a file hoster? Add Magic.cfg found in ML\Settings
And which ML version (build date) is used?

a1ex

Can you reset Canon settings? There was a bug in ETTR, many months ago, which could have caused this.

drjlo

OK, I've uploaded the zip with the 2 sample photo files and Magic.cfg.
Not sure where I can find the ML build date, but the date these ML files were installed on my camera appears to be 9/10/13. 

<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=2D144F4239813ADE&resid=2D144F4239813ADE%211353&authkey=ACQ4PZFoKKQH518" width="165" height="128" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

What kind of "reset Canon settings" are we talking about to fix this? 

a1ex

drjlo

OK, "clear all camera settings" worked to correct the EXIF bug.  Thanks.

lintoni

Is the embargo on updates to the 1,2.3 branch continuing? I know a1ex said there would be no new updates whilst this thread was locked...

swinxx

I installed a newer version, made by mk11179 but there are some issues, so i think that there is no newer version before those problems are solved. (One thing i noticed is that with mlv - i have recorded at 5:3, there is one corrupt frame all 30 seconds - with some white lines in the bottom.) perhaps a buffering problem, i dont know. We have to und wait... Greets

imagesbyaaron

Hi All,

First time ML user (or trying to be anyway). So I followed all instructions as far as I can tell.

-I updated my Canon firmware to 1.2.3.
-I downloaded the latest ML nightly build.
-I formatted my SD card again in camera.
-I extracted all contents to the root folder of my SD Card.
-I inserted said SD card and taken out my CF card.
-I installed the firmware update through the menu.
-Everything seemed to install fine.
-I waited the 30 seconds for the bootflag to be removed.
-As prompted, I restarted my camera (off, then on).
-When I turned it on, nothing seems different. I don't see any ML overlays, options, etc.
-I pressed the trash can, which also did nothing.

I am using a San Disk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 32GB SD Card and a Lexar 32GB 800x CF card.

PLEASE HELP! I must've missed something, but I have no idea what. I'm dying to try this out!

imagesbyaaron

Oh, whoops. I guess you have to restart before the 30 seconds. Working now. =)

a1ex

Quote from: lintoni on October 01, 2014, 04:39:31 AM
Is the embargo on updates to the 1,2.3 branch continuing? I know a1ex said there would be no new updates whilst this thread was locked...

I'll update the branch as soon as I'll finish tweaking the fullres silent pictures.

Currently having some network problems, so I'm mostly offline these days.