Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yodermk

Hi,

So I've been lurking for a few months but first post.  I've been using ML for testing RAW video, every once in a while, nothing serious yet.  Started with the 1.1.3 firmware, then just tried it with 1.2.3.

My biggest problem right now is some "pink noise" in a few frames -- I'd estimate 2-5 frames per minute.  The noise shows up in horizontal bands across the image.  Here is a frame as an example: http://yoderdev.com/photos/000063.jpg

History:  I had this issue right away with the 1.1.3 firmware, but eventually it went away.  At one point I recorded some 6 or 7 minutes in one clip with none of this at all.  I'm not quite sure what I did to change this.  In my forum lurking, I don't believe I've seen anyone else with this problem.  I used to see some reports of purple frames, but I think it was a different issue.

Yesterday was the first day I tried with 1.2.3.  It is back; the above image was from yesterday.

Another weird issue - yesterday I recorded a couple minutes and I think the record icon stayed green the whole time.  Today I tried again, and it started yellow, then red, then stopped after about 10-20 seconds.  I'm not sure what is different.  Global draw is off (it was on yesterday but I tried it both ways).  I made sure it was being recorded to the CF card, not SD.

ML itself is running on the SD.  My CF cards are KomputerBay 128GB 1000x.  Yeah I know, people have said the 64GBs are more reliable.  However, as noted, they have been working all right for me until today.  I have two cards, same with both.  I don't think card fragmentation could explain the sudden drop?

I'm recording 1080p, 24fps.

Any tips for either issue would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, and keep up the good work!

yodermk

BTW, for kicks, I'll share the script I'm using to convert and process all the raw videos on the card in one fell swoop. This is in bash shell under Linux.

for x in /run/media/micah/8F7B-5048/DCIM/101EOS5D/*.RAW; do X=`basename $x .RAW`; echo $X; mkdir $X; cd $X; wine /home/micah/bin/raw2dng.exe $x; ufraw-batch --out-type=tiff --exposure=0 *.dng; ffmpeg -i %6d.tif -vcodec mjpeg -qscale 1 video.avi ; cd .. ; done

The path is of course to my CF card.

I'll also note that the card is formated exfat and the pink noise appears in the source DNG files.

jimmyD30

I think I've come across this issue in the forum before, but don't remember the discussion.

There's been talk that there's a problem specifically with the KB 128GB 1000x cards and ML, you can search and find out more. It might just be the cards themselves, as I've recently seen this specific card being sold at deep discount.

A few things you could try, reformat cards in camera and reinstall ML, use mlv_rec instead of raw_rec and try copying files to local hard drive then process with a different app like MLV Mystic, MLRawViewer, or MLRawBrowser and see if things improve :)

yodermk

I'll try that in the next couple days. Only problem with formatting the card in the camera - isn't it then VFAT instead of exfat, which would limit the file sizes?  Or is that not a real concern?

Looks like KomputerBay has 64GB 1066X cards for $95 - maybe I should pick up one of those and see if there's a difference.

jimmyD30

You're correct about FAT32 vs exFAT, but for now doing diagnostics, let's go step by step. I'm sure exFAT will be no problem, but when trying to find cause of issue, best to eliminate as many factors as possible.

Yes, I'm looking at that exact KB card myself, probably get one or two. Here's some talk about it: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11428.msg122802;topicseen#msg122802

unfilmde

Quote from: yodermk on July 21, 2014, 02:52:29 PM
I'll try that in the next couple days. Only problem with formatting the card in the camera - isn't it then VFAT instead of exfat, which would limit the file sizes?  Or is that not a real concern?

Looks like KomputerBay has 64GB 1066X cards for $95 - maybe I should pick up one of those and see if there's a difference.

Yes it would be. But I have used RAWMagic and it is able to take the spanned RAW files and merge them for processing into one CDNG file. So exFat has become moot for me. I'm on a Mac. YMMV.

jimmyD30

Exactly, for me I prefer many 4GB files over few large files for safety/practical reasons at this point.

I'm glad that with using exFAT format ML can break the 4GB file barrier and it was much appreciated before the apps could process multiple raw files automatically, but recently I've defaulted back to the 4GB file size.

budafilms

When you full the CF, appears the same message like you haven't format the card as Exfat ;)

jordanwalkert

Quote from: budafilms on July 21, 2014, 08:13:53 PM
When you full the CF, appears the same message like you haven't format the card as Exfat ;)

Yep. I got that message as well and actually my final clip had an all black corrupted frame every couple of seconds. Have only filled the card up once, so I will try again and see if the final clip is corrupted again, anyone else getting a bad final clip when they fill up their cards? I'm using a Lexar 32gb 1066x card which has had absolutely zero problems so far, so I don't think it was the card.

jimmyD30

I just ran a test with KB 32GB 1000x CF card on 5DM3, shot .mlv with 4GB files (not using exFAT format) until card full with no issues.

Are you using a build which has Reserve Card Space option (creates a mlv_rec.tmp file)?

Audionut

Quote from: a1ex on May 12, 2014, 08:59:06 AM
RAW and MLV are not the core of ML, they are just applications (sure, very popular ones). There is a forum area dedicated to raw recording, so please discuss raw issues there.

I prefer this thread to be about core issues specific to 5D3 (in particular, problems introduced in 1.2.3 that did not exist in 1.1.3).

edit:  Lets keep the further off-topic nonsense out of the thread.  There's no need for CAPITALS, finger pointing or any other nonsense.  It's no big deal, I'm always dragging threads off topic.  This is just a gentle reminder to keep this thread on topic please.

A developers time is limited, and it only becomes wasted when the dev has to trawl through a bunch of off-topic nonsense, or other discussion that is better suited to other areas of the forum.

Thanks.

itsDPmikey

I read the planet5D article about the release of the 1.2.3+ML and I just got my 5D Mark III few days ago. I read and had to decide whether to stick with 1.2.3 which was pre installed in my 5d or go with the "safer" 1.1.3. After thinking about it thoroughly, I decided to get the 1.1.3+ML  because I just got my camera and I really didn't want to take a chance of breaking my camera so quickly and mourn over the death of my camera. After 2 years later now, ML should have a stable 1.1.3 5D.Mark.III Magic lantern working. No disrespect to any of the HARD WORKING ML crew!
I love this &^*$ MAN!

budafilms

Quote from: itsDPmikey on July 22, 2014, 05:42:45 AM
I read the planet5D article about the release of the 1.2.3+ML and I just got my 5D Mark III few days ago. I read and had to decide whether to stick with 1.2.3 which was pre installed in my 5d or go with the "safer" 1.1.3. After thinking about it thoroughly, I decided to get the 1.1.3+ML  because I just got my camera and I really didn't want to take a chance of breaking my camera so quickly and mourn over the death of my camera. After 2 years later now, ML should have a stable 1.1.3 5D.Mark.III Magic lantern working. No disrespect to any of the HARD WORKING ML crew!

It's at your own risk. 1.1.3 or 1.2.3 at the same level ;)
Don't  scare to other people to try.
Read an taste. Enjoy and produce nice videos.

Mystery57

I originally posted this in the nightly build forum, but as no response guess I must have put it in the wrong place.

>>>
Installed the 1st July 2014 nightly build (my first time use of the software) onto a Kingston 16Gb CF card to use in my 5DMk3 camera.

All seemed ok with the installation, and I went out to take some photos. I dont switch the camera on and off in a session just leave it on.

I was finding between photos that I was having to press the shutter button partially for a couple of seconds for the camera to come out of what seemed to be a hibernation.

After appx 20 photos, everything went dead.

I replaced the battery - no change.

So I then put another card in without ML installed - still dead.

I then put the original battery back in and the camera recommenced working (obviously without ML).

The replacement battery I had also tried, worked as well when I used that next.

Somehow the ML installed CF card had become corrupted I later identified.

Anyone else had this problem or any idea what the problem is. This is the first card I have had corrupt in this camera, and in years of using them never before a Kingston one.

It reformatted ok via my PC, then I was able to put it back in the camera and reformat it in there and it now works fine again (still without ML)

I'm not a programmer so am reliant on all of you guys who are for guidance - thank you.

Incidentally, I went to check the Camera firmware status, and only the Canon one is showing now, obviously not ML because I didnt reinstall it, however I see some topics referring to BootFlag needing to be removed - however my camera still seems to be booting up almost instantly - dont know if this is relevant information for you or not

I dont use the camera for video it is for stills only

unfilmde

Quote from: Mystery57 on July 23, 2014, 02:46:32 PM
I originally posted this in the nightly build forum, but as no response guess I must have put it in the wrong place.

>>>
Installed the 1st July 2014 nightly build (my first time use of the software) onto a Kingston 16Gb CF card to use in my 5DMk3 camera.

I highly recommend putting ML on a separate SD card and capture to a CF card. It has worked and been very stable for me this way. And you don't have to worry about reformatting the CF card and loosing ML.

jordanwalkert

Does anyone else have a missing H.264.ini with 1.2.3? Am I supposed to do something to get the H.264 mode back in ML, or is it not part of 1.2.3 yet?

rpt

Quote from: unfilmde on July 23, 2014, 07:30:56 PM
I highly recommend putting ML on a separate SD card and capture to a CF card. It has worked and been very stable for me this way. And you don't have to worry about reformatting the CF card and loosing ML.
+1

That is what I do and so I can swap out my CF card without worry.

budafilms

Quote from: jordanwalkert on July 23, 2014, 08:58:27 PM
Does anyone else have a missing H.264.ini with 1.2.3? Am I supposed to do something to get the H.264 mode back in ML, or is it not part of 1.2.3 yet?

I use H264 and Raw.
The only thing I do is put off Raw Module and MLV Sound.

jordanwalkert

Quote from: budafilms on July 24, 2014, 07:12:30 AM
I use H264 and Raw.
The only thing I do is put off Raw Module and MLV Sound.

Hmm, so your H264 mode is showing up in ML 1.2.3 and doesn't say that the .ini is missing?

unfilmde

Quote from: jordanwalkert on July 24, 2014, 07:51:51 AM
Hmm, so your H264 mode is showing up in ML 1.2.3 and doesn't say that the .ini is missing?

It's not in the ini. It's the first or second thing under the movie tab, on by default but overridden when you turn on RAW or MLV RAW record in the ini.

jimmyD30

Quote from: jordanwalkert on July 24, 2014, 07:51:51 AM

I believe the h264 .ini file is only used for bit-rate override, so it's not required for shooting native h.264, just if you want to use a different bit-rate other than canon default.

So the 'error' message you are seeing is normal and you can shoot h.264 without the missing .ini file.

TTGator

Quote from: unfilmde on July 23, 2014, 07:30:56 PM

Does it matter what size or class the SD card is? I remember reading on this forum at one point that it was NOT suggested to use an SD card because the write speed was throttled to the slowest speed card in the camera (between the SD and CF cards inserted). Is that no longer true? (Or maybe it was never true?)

jimmyD30

Doesn't matter unless you plan on using card spanning feature, if so then you're dealing with a 20 MBps camera data bus limit with the SD card anyway. The fastest write speed ML uses does not correspond to the lowest card speed in the camera, but rather to the card selected for recording.

tobiascorts

hello all,
I am a long time user of magic lantern. was shooting a lot over the last year with the 1.1.3 version of raw.
now I updated to 1.2.3 and everything looked fine so far.
today I rigged the markIII with my tv-logic58 monitor via hdmi for the first time. all tests before were done without the use of the hdmi-out.
it is now not possible to record longer clips than 1min in mlv 1920:1080 25p mode. icon always stays red or yellow. the build is from 16th of july.
as soon as I disconnect the hdmi everything goes green and fine! what does the performance have to do with the hdmi out?
did I set up something wrong somewhere? checked everything, can`t think of anything?!?
thank you so much for every help! i have an upcoming job tomorrow and if I don`t find a solution I have to shoot in h264;-(
tobi

tobiascorts

Quote from: tobiascorts on July 27, 2014, 08:43:25 PM
hello all,
I am a long time user of magic lantern. was shooting a lot over the last year with the 1.1.3 version of raw.
now I updated to 1.2.3 and everything looked fine so far.
today I rigged the markIII with my tv-logic58 monitor via hdmi for the first time. all tests before were done without the use of the hdmi-out.
it is now not possible to record longer clips than 1min in mlv 1920:1080 25p mode. icon always stays red or yellow. the build is from 16th of july.
as soon as I disconnect the hdmi everything goes green and fine! what does the performance have to do with the hdmi out?
did I set up something wrong somewhere? checked everything, can`t think of anything?!?
thank you so much for every help! i have an upcoming job tomorrow and if I don`t find a solution I have to shoot in h264;-(
tobi

next step was a total reset of the camera including magic lantern build 07.16.2014. supposedly stable.
same problem, no clips longer than 1min, though camera icon turns green now, before it stops due to frame skipping.
am clueless!!
only thing I can think of right now is that my new monitor, the TVLogic 58 needs more process power than my old one the TVLogic 56. Is that possible? Without HDMI no problem at all!
Am I right here in this forum by the way?!?