Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pompeiisneaks

The major difference between RAW and MLV is that MLV supports audio as well as the Video.  Otherwise I think the quality is identical.  Both are RAW.  MLV is Magic Lantern's own RAW codec.  So if you always do separate audio and don't need a sync beep on the video to sync your audio up, then RAW is perfect. 

~Phil

unfilmde

Quote from: pompeiisneaks on July 11, 2014, 12:28:33 AM
The major difference between RAW and MLV is that MLV supports audio as well as the Video.  Otherwise I think the quality is identical.  Both are RAW.  MLV is Magic Lantern's own RAW codec.  So if you always do separate audio and don't need a sync beep on the video to sync your audio up, then RAW is perfect. 

~Phil

I agree. My one caveat about using MLV Raw is it is a new codec. I prefer a codec that is established, if MLV Raw gets discontinued, you may end up with files you can't use later on.  I'm sure it will be around for a while, but I've been burned a few times.

The ability to embed sound is great, but I don't mind using a slate and double system-ing it.

budafilms

Quote from: mlguest on July 05, 2014, 12:17:06 PM
O.K., I will do that. Thank you again.
I wonder if I want to use ML on several cards, if it is o.k. to copy my first installation from the first card to another card, so that I can use the same settings on every CF-Card?

Yes, you can!

mlguest

jimmyD30

Quote from: unfilmde on July 11, 2014, 04:49:37 AM
I agree. My one caveat about using MLV Raw is it is a new codec. I prefer a codec that is established, if MLV Raw gets discontinued, you may end up with files you can't use later on.  I'm sure it will be around for a while, but I've been burned a few times.

The ability to embed sound is great, but I don't mind using a slate and double system-ing it.

The end result of converting ML raw/mlv is DNGs/CDNGs. The industry has long supported CDNGs and presently can support DNGs as well (ACR), but more and more post production apps are getting on board with directly supporting DNGs like DaVinci Resolve, a trend I expect to continue considering the popularity of ML and it's growing usage as a professional platform.

jarandov

Hi guys,

I have instaled the last build 4/7 on my 5dm3 version 123 and try to record ML video. If I am not losing frames during one minute  the recording stops automaticaly when I reach 1 minute. Sometimes i see the message on display that says i am losing frames and recording stops. I am using Lexar 64GB 1066 and lexar 256 1066 cards. The problem seems to be the same ragardles what card i choose. Both cards are formated by camera.
Is ir possible to record more that 1 minute continuously? Any sugestions please.

jarandov

I forgot that I shoot full HD 1920x1080 25fps PAL.

jimmyD30

Yes, it's possible to shoot up to 30fps continuous at 1080p.

Did you disable or set to 30 mins. the auto-shutoff feature in the Canon menu?

When shooting raw the camera does not detect activity :)

Also, did you do an in-camera speed test of your cards to see if they can handle the data rate needed?

jarandov

hi Jimmyd30.
Thanks a lot. I had not changed auto-shutoff function in Canon menu. A question how can you do speed test of the cards?

jarandov

Is it possible to use focus peaking during video recording? It works before i start recording.

jimmyD30

Quote from: jarandov on July 13, 2014, 09:44:42 AM
hi Jimmyd30.
Thanks a lot. I had not changed auto-shutoff function in Canon menu. A question how can you do speed test of the cards?

See here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12630.msg121745#msg121745

cathor

Hi, have a couple of questions that i hope you guys can answer.

I recently upgraded from a 7D to the 5D3. Installed ML over 1.2.3 without any problems. However i only got about 60mb/s write speed with my SanDisk 32GB 120mb/s. decided to do a low level format of the card and also took the opportunity to format the card as exFat.

Do i need to do the installation (firmware update) again after copying the ML files back to the card? ML wont boot atm...

I ve seen threads where people install ML to the secondary SD card, is that something worth considering? Any pointer on how to do that?

Thanks in advance!

/calle

cathor

Quote from: Audionut on July 15, 2014, 01:31:48 PM
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12476.msg121903#msg121903

Ouch.. Well thanks for the fast answer. Transend 1000x ordered.

How about my ML not booting atm. Any solution to this?

jimmyD30

Quote from: cathor on July 15, 2014, 12:55:21 PM
Do i need to do the installation (firmware update) again after copying the ML files back to the card? ML wont boot atm...

I ve seen threads where people install ML to the secondary SD card, is that something worth considering? Any pointer on how to do that?

You need to make the card bootable. With new ML installs this happens automatically now, but since you reformatted the card you need to run EOScard on it, see here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/install.html

As for putting ML on the SD card, I do it that way because then I can just swap out non-ML CF cards when they're full and not worry about having ML on them. Especially helpful when/if you're in a jam and need to borrow/buy another CF card on the spot and can't install ML on it at that moment.

To do such, after ML install, just copy everything onto SD card, make it bootable and you're good to go (DO NOT NEED TO RUN FIRMWARE UPDATE AGAIN).

cathor

Quote from: jimmyD30 on July 15, 2014, 02:15:27 PM
You need to make the card bootable. With new ML installs this happens automatically now, but since you reformatted the card you need to run EOScard on it, see here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/install.html

As for putting ML on the SD card, I do it that way because then I can just swap out non-ML CF cards when they're full and not worry about having ML on them. Especially helpful when/if you're in a jam and need to borrow/buy another CF card on the spot and can't install ML on it at that moment.

To do such, after ML install, just copy everything onto SD card, make it bootable and you're good to go (DO NOT NEED TO RUN FIRMWARE UPADTE AGAIN).

Great, thank! Can't remember that i had to do that the first time I installed ML on the 5D3. Remember i did that for the 7D though. Alzeimer Light kicking in i guess. Is MacBoot the OSX equiv. of EOScard btw?

jimmyD30

They've modified the install process to make the card bootable automatically now upon ML install ;)

MacBoot seems to be equivalent as EOScard, but I've never tried it, see here: http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/macboot/macboot.html

Audionut

As jimmyD30 suggests, you need to make the card bootable.

When you run the ML firmware updater, it will make the card bootable. 
So you can either make the card bootable with some application, or just run the firmware installer from the new card.

Brock2621

First time poster and had a quick wuestion that i couldnt find definitively on other threads. Just did a shoot using 1.2.3 on mark III using .raw module with a lexar 1066x 128gb card and I'm getting crazy vertical lines through the video on all dngs when converted using magic raw. A lot of people are saying it's the sensor noise pattern etc.

Is there a definitive fix for this? I was using hdmi out while recording but I doubt that would make a difference. Any thoughts or fixes?

budafilms

Quote from: Brock2621 on July 16, 2014, 01:42:50 AM
First time poster and had a quick wuestion that i couldnt find definitively on other threads. Just did a shoot using 1.2.3 on mark III using .raw module with a lexar 1066x 128gb card and I'm getting crazy vertical lines through the video on all dngs when converted using magic raw. A lot of people are saying it's the sensor noise pattern etc.

Is there a definitive fix for this? I was using hdmi out while recording but I doubt that would make a difference. Any thoughts or fixes?

Are you sure don't used DUAL ISO Module? Check it.
And to test the sensor, just take a shoot with H264  ;)

And it the problem persist upload a DNG frame to get opinions.

Brock2621

Quote from: budafilms on July 16, 2014, 05:46:03 AM
Are you sure don't used DUAL ISO Module? Check it.
And to test the sensor, just take a shoot with H264  ;)

And it the problem persist upload a DNG frame to get opinions.

Isn't dual ISO mode horizontal lines?

Here's a link to a DNG for viewing. If you mess with the contrast it gets even worse :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vabnza3gj10bcac/M12-1248_C0000_03988.dng

unfilmde

Quote from: Brock2621 on July 16, 2014, 01:42:50 AM

Are you using RawMagic?  If so, the lite version or the full version? If you are using RawMagic version 1.2 has a fix vertical stripe function. If you are using Magic Raw then I don't know what that is.

Personally using RawMagic full version, I have not seen the vertical stripes.

budafilms

Quote from: Brock2621 on July 16, 2014, 04:47:38 PM
Isn't dual ISO mode horizontal lines?

Here's a link to a DNG for viewing. If you mess with the contrast it gets even worse :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vabnza3gj10bcac/M12-1248_C0000_03988.dng

Appears like HDR it's working.
Reset ML to default values or better, format card and put again without save any settings.
Put only MLV Module on and try again in daylight.

jKent

Hi all new here xD any1 have  "Video tutorial"  how to install Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III 1.2.3 Thanks All have nice Day

Walter Schulz

First post of this thread will be fine start to read.
Tell us what your troubles are with this short but instructive installation step list.