Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pngai

Quote from: budafilms on June 19, 2014, 07:44:18 AM
- You should go to MODULES and selected what you need.
- Turn off, and turn on.
- After that, you should go to the MODULE that you have selected in the MENU.
- Press Q and put the values.

Example: you select RAW in MODULES. Turn OFF and ON. Go to ML Menu, Video, press Q over RAW.

Take a look in the manual and thread!

You are welcome to the wild side ;)

It still doesn't work :( I'm using a videomic pro and the buzzing noise in the background is killing me!!! Is there anything else I can do?

pobox

Quote from: budafilms on June 19, 2014, 07:47:55 AM
Can you see the ML menu in the viewfinder, when you are connected by HDMI?
Thanks.

NOT in mirror mode with 1920x1080 hdmi out, neither can I see the Canon menu.
In non-mirror mode i can see the ML and canon menu on the HDMI, but then I don't have an 1920x1080 output

How can I get a 1920x1080 output in the HDMI with overlays without using the canon LCD (not mirroring)??
I hope that would be possible soon!!

pompeiisneaks

For the record, been awol IRL with school, kids etc, but just got the latest build from nightlies on my 5D3 1.2.3 and it seems loads better, the mlv format seems more solid now as well, and I've not seen any pink/corrupted frames in my limited testing, I just don't have one of those super fast computerbay or other cards that can handle raw at 80+Mbs.  It is looking really good otherwise from what I've seen.

Thanks for the excellent work.

budafilms

Quote from: pompeiisneaks on June 20, 2014, 01:23:15 AM
For the record, been awol IRL with school, kids etc, but just got the latest build from nightlies on my 5D3 1.2.3 and it seems loads better, the mlv format seems more solid now as well, and I've not seen any pink/corrupted frames in my limited testing, I just don't have one of those super fast computerbay or other cards that can handle raw at 80+Mbs.  It is looking really good otherwise from what I've seen.

Thanks for the excellent work.

I believe if we are a more people requiring ML menu in viewfinder when it's connected, DEVs can develop that function.
This is reading for A1ex and more Hero Members. Crossfingers  ;D

pcohen2

been contemplating giving ML a try for some time now.

i've read that audio doesn't work, how can i get around this ? I do not own an external recorder. also are you still able to take pictures with ML installed ?

i'll probably give it a try this weekend once i get all my questions answered. I'll ask more as i think of em, and i'll attempt to use the search feature to find some more answers..

kontrakatze

I think you haven't read enough. Sound is possible with mlv, shooting photos is also possible, why shouldn't it?

unfilmde

Quote from: pcohen2 on June 20, 2014, 07:10:35 AM
been contemplating giving ML a try for some time now.

i've read that audio doesn't work, how can i get around this ? I do not own an external recorder. also are you still able to take pictures with ML installed ?

i'll probably give it a try this weekend once i get all my questions answered. I'll ask more as i think of em, and i'll attempt to use the search feature to find some more answers..

I shoot stills all the time with the latest build. No problems.

pcohen2

Quote from: unfilmde on June 20, 2014, 08:06:35 AM
I shoot stills all the time with the latest build. No problems.

thanks for the info

mercurio

Hi everyone and nice to meet you :D
I wanted to install Magic Lantern on my 5D Mark III mainly for timelapses;
Is there a way to install ML only on the SD card; to avoid losing the changes I made in the settings of the machine; and then to have magic lantern only if I insert the sd?
thank you

budafilms

Quote from: mercurio on June 20, 2014, 10:16:59 AM
Hi everyone and nice to meet you :D
I wanted to install Magic Lantern on my 5D Mark III mainly for timelapses;
Is there a way to install ML only on the SD card; to avoid losing the changes I made in the settings of the machine; and then to have magic lantern only if I insert the sd?
thank you

If you don't put the card with ML, you DSRL works with the original firmware.
You can save your settings even with ML running!

mercurio

Thank you, so I don't have to do this step of the install guide of ML?
"Restore your camera to default settings (Clear settings, see picture above). Remember this will reset all canon settings and removes custom picture styles! "

vovkinson

budafilms

Quote from: mercurio on June 20, 2014, 01:45:38 PM
Thank you, so I don't have to do this step of the install guide of ML?
"Restore your camera to default settings (Clear settings, see picture above). Remember this will reset all canon settings and removes custom picture styles! "

No. Put ML and enjoy!
Read the Manual Guide and Relax.

chopper2585

Hello, I just installed ML on my mark iii, and I'm getting two horizontal lines of dots across the frame. It pops up for one frame then goes away, then might pop up a few seconds later on another part of the frame. It's always only for 1 frame, and the timing in between is random.

Here are 3 frame shots from the clip showing the lines. Has anyone seen this before?

unfilmde

The nightly build is running smooth. I don't consider it bleeding edge anymore, not for a while now, anyway.

Excellent work.

The only thing I've encountered was a file that would not play in MLRAWViewer even though it was showing a file size of around 2.8GB. I processed it in RawMagic (which by the way automatically detects spanned clips now! Excellent!), and even though RawMagic couldn't see the FPS as 23.976, it still processed it to CinemaDNG and I was able to open it fine in After Effects as a RAW sequence. I don't know why MLRAWViewer couldn't play it back but in the end it worked.

So far no dropped frames, no green noise or pink dots here on my 5D Mark iii running the latest 1.2.3 build of 2014-06-21.

goran

Quote from: chopper2585 on June 21, 2014, 04:21:39 AM
Hello, I just installed ML on my mark iii, and I'm getting two horizontal lines of dots across the frame. It pops up for one frame then goes away, then might pop up a few seconds later on another part of the frame. It's always only for 1 frame, and the timing in between is random.

Here are 3 frame shots from the clip showing the lines. Has anyone seen this before?

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac104/chopper2585/ScreenShot2014-06-20at91143PM_zps70365976.png

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac104/chopper2585/ScreenShot2014-06-20at91159PM_zps6542acff.png

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac104/chopper2585/ScreenShot2014-06-20at91227PM_zps5ac032e9.png

Which card do you use?

chopper2585

Quote from: goran on June 23, 2014, 06:24:35 AM
Which card do you use?

I'm using a Komputer Bay 64gb 1000x. I'm noticing it at all resolutions.

a1ex

Can you share your config file, the steps to reproduce, and how often you get the issue?

Does it happen with RAW, MLV or both?

External monitor or built-in LCD?

Other Canon settings?

A screenshot of Debug->Show EDMAC, without any modules loaded, in movie mode, should be also helpful.

Fioritura

Quote from: a1ex on June 22, 2014, 02:39:19 PM
External monitor users, please have a look at this:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/521/mirroring-support-for-external-monitors/diff

Hi a1ex, is there an easy way to get the compiled code to test? Sorry, my programming days are so far away... Concentrating on creating content nowadays.

Cheers,

Andrew

a1ex

Right now I'm interested in feedback from people with programming skills. After that, you'll be able to try it.

goran

Quote from: chopper2585 on June 23, 2014, 06:50:04 AM

I'm using a Komputer Bay 64gb 1000x. I'm noticing it at all resolutions.

From my experience, and I may be completely wrong, this happens before the card is about to get corrupt. The only time I encountered something like this was after Komputerbay 64gb card was used with non UDMA 7 card reader which apparently corrupted it and after that I experienced something like this. Just my 2 cents.

dia3olik

Quote from: a1ex on June 23, 2014, 09:16:51 AM
Right now I'm interested in feedback from people with programming skills. After that, you'll be able to try it.

Thanks A1ex!
I think that a proper external support is a huge deal! ;)
I want to help too but I haven't any programming skills...let me know if you ever need someone to help you figuring bugs and using it on the field to improve it.

chopper2585

Quote from: goran on June 23, 2014, 08:06:27 PM
From my experience, and I may be completely wrong, this happens before the card is about to get corrupt. The only time I encountered something like this was after Komputerbay 64gb card was used with non UDMA 7 card reader which apparently corrupted it and after that I experienced something like this. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, I went out today and took a lot of stills, finding a handful were corrupted. I'm thinking (hoping) that it is in fact the card. I have a Lexar UDMA 7 card reader, but the card might have been bad from the start. I have a new one coming Wednesday so I can test the SanDisk Extreme this time.

Quote from: a1ex on June 23, 2014, 06:59:10 AM
Can you share your config file, the steps to reproduce, and how often you get the issue?

Does it happen with RAW, MLV or both?

External monitor or built-in LCD?

Other Canon settings?

A screenshot of Debug->Show EDMAC, without any modules loaded, in movie mode, should be also helpful.

After getting some corrupted stills, I ordered a new card. Though it was benchmarking okay, maybe the card is going bad. I'll send you all the details if I still experience the issue on the new SanDisk I ordered. Thanks for the reply!

goran

Quote from: chopper2585 on June 24, 2014, 05:05:05 AM

Thanks, I went out today and took a lot of stills, finding a handful were corrupted. I'm thinking (hoping) that it is in fact the card. I have a Lexar UDMA 7 card reader, but the card might have been bad from the start. I have a new one coming Wednesday so I can test the SanDisk Extreme this time.

After getting some corrupted stills, I ordered a new card. Though it was benchmarking okay, maybe the card is going bad. I'll send you all the details if I still experience the issue on the new SanDisk I ordered. Thanks for the reply!

Please report if the problem persists with the new card.
BTW I've had a couple of Lexar UDMA 7 card readers go crazy and corrupting files during transfer. Transferring the same files from the same card with a different reader didn't show any problems and the files were ok, so I'd check also a different reader just to be sure.

All best,
Goran