Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pobox

Quote from: unfilmde on June 14, 2014, 09:16:41 AM
I have had no issues getting clean RAW picture out the HDMI with the latest nightly build.

It works only when mirroring lcd is on in canon menu...

joshuamk

Quick question. I know it is possible to shoot 4:3 in RAW mode but can you also shoot in this aspect ratio at h.264?

unfilmde

dia3olik

unfilmde, you get menus on the 5D mk3 LCD and TRUE CLEAN 1080P output???????

budafilms

Quote from: dia3olik on June 15, 2014, 12:30:21 AM

It's not possible for the moment get ML menus. I hope Devs can work on this.

unfilmde

Quote from: dia3olik on June 15, 2014, 12:30:21 AM

No, I get clean out through the HDMI but no menus on the external monitor as it is CLEAN OUT. I get the ML menus on the canon built in monitor.

budafilms

Quote from: unfilmde on June 15, 2014, 08:13:00 AM
No, I get clean out through the HDMI but no menus on the external monitor as it is CLEAN OUT. I get the ML menus on the canon built in monitor.

How can you get in the built in monitor ML Menus when you are connected by HDMI? Wich version are you using? I can't do that. Please, explain me!

dia3olik

exactly, same here...with 1.2.3

I get either menus on both or clean on both without menus...deactivating ML overlay

Danne

dia3olik

thanks danne,
but that custom build has overlay on both, the LCD and HDMI,
but what I think would be great is overlay on the internal LCD and CLEAN 1080P out of HDMI...

pobox

Quote from: unfilmde on June 14, 2014, 10:44:33 PM
I get clean 1920x1080.

That is only possible when recording h264 or your recorder/viewfinder is upscaling to 1920x1080 (which is worse then h264)

It works only when mirroring lcd is on in canon menu, but that is not efficient with a viewfinder as you won't see if it it is (still) recording

zenclimber

I use ML on my 60D for video but was hesitant to use it on my 5D3 because of the bootflag issue. I want to be able to remove the bootflag afterwards.
For video ML 1.1.3 is still recommended over ML 1.2.3. ML 1.1.3 sets the bootflag, however 1.2.3 can remove the bootflag.

Can i use the following workflow to be able to use ML Video and be able to remove the bootflag afterwards?

1) install ML 1.1.3 the normal way, which also sets the bootflag on the 5D3.

(bootflag is now set, slow start-up when not using ML)

2) do your thing.... film using ML  video capabilities

3) upgrade firmware to 1.2.3

4) install ML 1.2.3

5) remove ML

(bootflag is now removed, firmware is back to Canon original)

Is this correct? If not, what should i do to be able to get bootflag removed?

zenclimber

QuoteOption A - Camera arrives with firmware 1.2.3)  Downgrade the camera to 1.1.3, install ML, use it, upgrade to 1.2.3, remove bootflag.

Option B - Camera arrives with firmware 1.1.3)  Install ML, use it, upgrade to 1.2.3, remove bootflag, downgrade to 1.1.3.

Thanks!

vovkinson

Please keep reading. discussed million times.
Quote from: zenclimber on June 16, 2014, 03:30:05 PM
I use ML on my 60D for video but was hesitant to use it on my 5D3 because of the bootflag issue. I want to be able to remove the bootflag afterwards.
For video ML 1.1.3 is still recommended over ML 1.2.3. ML 1.1.3 sets the bootflag, however 1.2.3 can remove the bootflag.

Can i use the following workflow to be able to use ML Video and be able to remove the bootflag afterwards?

1) install ML 1.1.3 the normal way, which also sets the bootflag on the 5D3.

(bootflag is now set, slow start-up when not using ML)

2) do your thing.... film using ML  video capabilities

3) upgrade firmware to 1.2.3

4) install ML 1.2.3

5) remove ML

(bootflag is now removed, firmware is back to Canon original)

Is this correct? If not, what should i do to be able to get bootflag removed?

rickj

The uninstall procedure is not working. I did as  suggested, install the ML card and update firmware and follow instructions. It just reinstalled ML 1.2.3

I then added Canon 5D300123.FIR to the ML disk (now both on there) thinking it would offer a choice and it just re-installed ML.

I then removed ML5D3123.FIR from the ML disk leaving Canon version plus ML files. This installed Canon again and it looked like I succeeded but when I remove the card and insert a new one it doesn't power up (I think the boot flag is still set).

I know the instruction say remove the boot flag but how does this happen?

If I can get the boot flag removed then Autoexec.bin won't be needed. Thats my guess.

Any ideas on how one removes the boot flag?

rickj

I may have answered this myself. It works anyway.
I took out the ML card and replaced with another pre-formatted SD card.
Then I ran "Clear all camera settings on Canon Menu - Wrench #4.
Now ML is gone but I will not use the other ML card again until more progress is made on ML for 5D3.
I can power off/on and works like before.

I have it on my 60D and it works a lot better.
Hope this helps anyone else.

Stedda

Quote from: rickj on June 18, 2014, 04:38:34 AM

This does nothing to remove ML. The reason your camera powers up is because you used a card that was not bootable. Put that "ML" card back in and you'll have Magic Lantern again which means you did nothing to remove the bootflag.

Instead of blaming the software you should probably take the time to read and understand how the basics work because it's working flawless for the rest of us that do. I can upgrade/downgrade from 1.1.3 to 1.2.3 and back anytime I want and I don't have to set aside a "ML" card to remove ML.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

vovkinson

you just don't want to read, do you

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions -> for removing the boot flag please wait for 30 seconds.

Quote from: rickj on June 18, 2014, 04:38:34 AM
I may have answered this myself. It works anyway.
I took out the ML card and replaced with another pre-formatted SD card.
Now ML is gone but I will not use the other ML card again until more progress is made on ML for 5D3.
I can power off/on and works like before.

I have it on my 60D and it works a lot better.
Hope this helps anyone else.

rickj

Fair enough. It might be because I read this from Alex 1st post on this thread:

Installation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.2.3.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

What's hot:
- bootflag issue solved! (p.s. some bloggers got it wrong, you still enable it in the camera, but you can disable it by uninstalling)
- installation is really easy (simply unzip the files on the card, update firmware and you are ready to go)
- uninstallation is equally easy (update firmware and follow the instructions)

I definitely didn't read the part about waiting 30 seconds.......
Good it's working flawlessly for everyone else.

TTGator

Has marekk submitted a patch for the build he made (discussed in post 556.. 566... one of those)? Trying to decide if I should take that build or if it's worth waiting a short period for it to show up in the nightly :)

dia3olik

His approach was a temp workaround I think...a1ex, do you know if in 1.2.3 the solution to have the HDMI clean output + menus on Camera LCD is near or if it's not possible to implement it in a clean way? ;)

Many thanks!

pngai

I installed ML on my Canon 5D3, when I enter the ML menu I don't get to control the digital or analog gain. The only thing I get to control is the speaker beep and speaker volume. Am I missing something? or is that how it's supposed to be?

budafilms

Quote from: pngai on June 19, 2014, 01:37:04 AM
I installed ML on my Canon 5D3, when I enter the ML menu I don't get to control the digital or analog gain. The only thing I get to control is the speaker beep and speaker volume. Am I missing something? or is that how it's supposed to be?

- You should go to MODULES and selected what you need.
- Turn off, and turn on.
- After that, you should go to the MODULE that you have selected in the MENU.
- Press Q and put the values.

Example: you select RAW in MODULES. Turn OFF and ON. Go to ML Menu, Video, press Q over RAW.

Take a look in the manual and thread!

You are welcome to the wild side ;)

budafilms

Quote from: pobox on June 15, 2014, 05:32:37 PM
That is only possible when recording h264 or your recorder/viewfinder is upscaling to 1920x1080 (which is worse then h264)

It works only when mirroring lcd is on in canon menu, but that is not efficient with a viewfinder as you won't see if it it is (still) recording

Can you see the ML menu in the viewfinder, when you are connected by HDMI?
Thanks.