Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motionSOUL

Question for a1ex: is there a reason to stay on 1.1.3 firmware for ML? Are there some 1.2.3 limitations? Lost speed? Still more bugs to trace than in 1.1.3? Anything to know?
Thanks,

S.

Audionut

Quote from: a1ex on March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM
What's hot:
- bootflag issue solved! (p.s. some bloggers got it wrong, you still enable it in the camera, but you can disable it by uninstalling)
- installation is really easy (simply unzip the files on the card, update firmware and you are ready to go)
- uninstallation is equally easy (update firmware and follow the instructions)
- EosCard is now optional
- ML restores itself after formatting the card (man, that komputerbay card is fast!)
- you may install on any card combination you may think of.

What's not:
- unlike most firmware updates which fix minor things, this one changed a LOT, especially on the display side (for example, LiveView is now quad-buffered and most of the display registers were changed).
- watch out for corrupted frames (from my limited testing, I'm not fully convinced the issue is fully resolved on 1.2.3 => for serious video use, please consider staying on 1.1.3)
- fast zebras not working, but can be fixed
- no full-screen magic zoom (I never used it anyway, but was nice)
- no brightness/contrast/saturation adjutments (registers changed)
- HDMI issues (possibly worse than 113, didn't try yet)
- no documentation (yet).

For photo use (raw overlays, ETTR and so on) it should be just fine (that's how I use it).

motionSOUL

k, thanks I will stay with 1.1.3 for the moment.
This forum is so huge it is difficult to trace the good informations.

S.

Audionut

Yes, that's why we try and keep the original posts updated.  :)

n0M3n

Yesterday I finished shooting for a promotional video in RAW. I've been able to use liveview mirroring with minor issues (sometimes I had to turn off/on to get the image on the other 2nd monitor).
Sometimes I had the just the ML menu black background and the overlays instead of the liveview image (pressing ML menu button twice fix it). Sometimes REC button do nothing, and there's always a 1/2 seconds span between pressing the button and actual recording.

Overall I've to say I feel this release really stable. I shoot 4 hours in these days with no corrupted files/frames.

I'll post this video in the showcasing forum =)

Thank you guys

Edit:
I used marekk solution for mirroring related issues.
Quote from: marekk on May 01, 2014, 02:45:11 PM
Fresh compiled version of ML with overlays on LCD (mirroring enabled):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ejsn7zn6eh1sdp/5D3_hdmi.zip

USE IT FOR TESTS ONLY AND ON YOUR OWN RISK
thank you too :D

Fioritura

Quote from: a1ex on March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM
[...]
- watch out for corrupted frames (from my limited testing, I'm not fully convinced the issue is fully resolved on 1.2.3 => for serious video use, please consider staying on 1.1.3)
[...]

Since my camera came with 1.2.3 installed the question is if I should revert to 1.1.3. Does "serious video use" pertain mainly to using the raw functionality or to video recording in general? For me H.264 recording seems to work fine except for a one-off issue. Are most people using the older firmware?

Regards,

Andrew

rpt

Quote from: Fioritura on June 06, 2014, 09:45:37 PM
Are most people using the older firmware?
I don't shoot video. Only stills. I am on 1.2.3.

RWBrooks

Hi, I came across the rack focus part of the menu and have been trying to get it to work for me with very limited success. Sometimes the camera will do what I want, i.e pull focus fro start point to end point but not always....but above all I am unable to get the camera to record anything whilst it's doing that.
What am I missing?
Please help as this is a really nice feature and I'd love to be able to incorporate it into my films.

Richard

Piotr.23

I moved today to the latest build of May 23, 2014 (deleted an old ML from SD card, and copied the content of ZIP to SD card, so no old setting persisted)

I am getting a strange preview following a shot.
https://picasaweb.google.com/116039908015319550699/V5d3#6022695873692450594
It is sometimes on the pink background. The histogram I am using is RAW HistoBar (not the Full Histogram that actuall appears at the preview)
Am I doing somehing wrong?

Thanks | P

a1ex

Rack focus: the easiest way is to mix it to follow focus: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#follow_focus

Quick rack focus while recording:

* Press MENU to save current focus point (this means I want to return here);
   * Use follow focus to change focus point (focus somewhere else);
   * Press PLAY to go to saved focus point;
   * Press PLAY again to go back.

The classic way works too. Set up the focus range offline, start recording, get back into menu and start rack focus. Or, while recording, just press PLAY.

Histogram: this is the YUV histogram, not the RAW one. If you have the picture quality set to RAW, and you are in QuickReview mode (right after taking a picture, not in regular playback mode), you need to describe the steps to reproduce it. Also check Canon settings to get a larger preview.

a1ex

Already answered.

And triple-posting is not welcome on this forum, FYI.

AlexZapp

Updating to 1.2.3 . Everything  was successfully done, but rite now i don't have RAW recording position in ML menu. What's wrong? 

Walter Schulz

Quote from: AlexZapp on June 10, 2014, 01:08:27 PM
What's wrong?
Nothing. You have to load RAW_REC.MO or MLV_REC.MO first.

RWBrooks

craigkabrhel

Quote from: rigs on April 18, 2014, 03:32:11 PM
@mixmastermike

Could you please tell which build worked for HDMI trigger and MLV raw recording. I want to use it with my Ninja but haven't any luck with the latest build.

QuoteIn last weeks build the HDMI trigger was working too, so that when you pressed record on the ninja blade, it triggered the 5D MKiii to start recording Raw.

I would like to know about this as well. It would be a huge help. Thank you for all your hard work.

thomy

Hi, I'm new to ML. Can anyone tell me, if this latest release and the *stable* version 1.1.3 solve the problem of canons 30min recording limit on the 5d mk iii (when recording in the standard codec, not raw)?

Thanks for reply!
Thomy

budafilms

Quote from: thomy on June 11, 2014, 09:50:12 AM
Hi, I'm new to ML. Can anyone tell me, if this latest release and the *stable* version 1.1.3 solve the problem of canons 30min recording limit on the 5d mk iii (when recording in the standard codec, not raw)?

Thanks for reply!
Thomy

Hi Thomy, 29:59 it's the limit. You can set in ML menu Movie Restart and lost just a few seconds.
In H264 4GB it's the limit too.
Take a look in the guide! http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide

philmoz

Apologies if this has been answered previously.

In the current 5D3-123 source the backup_task (boot_hack.c) and dump_rom_task (debug.c) code both dump two 16MB regions from 0xF0000000 (ROM0.BIN) and 0xF8000000 (ROM1.BIN).

When I look at these they are both empty (filled with 0xFF).
When I checked the ROMBASEADDR for the camera is shows as 0xFF0C0000.

Shouldn't one of the dumps be starting at 0xFF000000?

I finally managed to compile from the source and when I changed ROM0.BIN to dump from 0xFF000000 I get something that looks more like a Canom firmware dump.

Thanks,
Phil.

a1ex

Hey, CHDK guys are always welcome ;)

g3gg0 explains it here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6785.msg58899#msg58899

It may be helpful to load these dumps in QEMU: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2864
(basically you need to get the "gaonisoy" part at 0xFF0C0000; the QEMU log will tell you a bit more about where each ROM is mirrored)

philmoz

Quote from: a1ex on June 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM
Hey, CHDK guys are always welcome ;)

g3gg0 explains it here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6785.msg58899#msg58899

It may be helpful to load these dumps in QEMU: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2864
(basically you need to get the "gaonisoy" part at 0xFF0C0000; the QEMU log will tell you a bit more about where each ROM is mirrored)

Thanks, seems to be working now. Must not have looked closely enough at the original dumps - they're a bit different to the P&S versions :)

Phil.

pobox

How do I get 1920x1080 output through the HDMI on the 5d3 running 1.2.3 while recording mlv/raw?

I only get something like 1620x910 which my viewfinder can upscale, but it is less sharp. When I record h264 i am able to get 1920x1080 out of the hdmi.

dia3olik

you need to enable mirroring but it's broken in magic lantern right now

TommiT

hey everyone - this is probably a stupid question but i guess it's an easy one for you guys to answer: i would use ML on my 5dmk3 but mainly for photography, am i right that most of the "issues" are connected to raw-recording. would you say that the photo feature is "stable"

rpt

Quote from: TommiT on June 13, 2014, 10:42:54 PM
hey everyone - this is probably a stupid question but i guess it's an easy one for you guys to answer: i would use ML on my 5dmk3 but mainly for photography, am i right that most of the "issues" are connected to raw-recording. would you say that the photo feature is "stable"
I have only use the Dual ISO feature so far but ZERO crashes. Absolutely fine for me. But read other threads.

unfilmde

Quote from: dia3olik on June 13, 2014, 10:16:51 PM
you need to enable mirroring but it's broken in magic lantern right now

I have had no issues getting clean RAW picture out the HDMI with the latest nightly build.