Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjaja

5DFree, 550D, canon 50mm 1.4

The Monitor Lizard

Hi,

Used ML for quite some time on my EOS-M and I fell in love with the video crop mode. Just installed the latest nightly build on my 5d3. All seems well, but I can't find crop mode. Camera is in video mode, I even tried loading raw_rec and mlv_raw, still no crop mode.

Searched the forums but I must have missed where this was addressed. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: not RAW cropped mode, just plain old h.264

vovkinson

LAZY A$$
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5441.0

Quote from: The Monitor Lizard on May 30, 2014, 01:13:45 AM
Hi,

Used ML for quite some time on my EOS-M and I fell in love with the video crop mode. Just installed the latest nightly build on my 5d3. All seems well, but I can't find crop mode. Camera is in video mode, I even tried loading raw_rec and mlv_raw, still no crop mode.

Searched the forums but I must have missed where this was addressed. Any help would be appreciated.

unfilmde

Just wanted to add after playing around with Nightly build 5-23-2014 on my 5D Mark iii....

WOW!!!

I underexposed a lot on purpose. ISO 640 (my test show this to be native with my camera). Shot under tungsten lighting. I was able to bring back the image and remove the warm cast and the image was beautiful.

My 2¢

Steve_Brule

Hi,

I'm interested in h.264 crop too. I'm a little hesitant to ask questions here, cause, although I'm really excited to try ML, I'm a complete newbie. My needs are pretty simple: focus aids and video crop mode. For everything else I'm fine with the Canon 1.2.3 .... although that will probably change

dag

I'd like to verify how to upgrade from ML 1.1.3 to 1.2.3. I know it has been answered here and there on this forum but I'd like to confirm to avoid some problems. Thank you for understanding and patience (I'm just one of those guys who freak out sometimes... well, very often as a matter of fact).

My understanding is the following one:

1. Take out an SD card with ML 1.1.3. (at least I keep ML on an SD card)
2. Put a new SD card with Canon firmware 1.2.3 and do upgrade.
3. Format another SD card in camera.
4. Copy ML nightly build of your choice on the formatted card from 3.
5. Put the card in the camera and do ML upgrade.

Is this correct?

Also, once I do uninstall of ML 1.2.3 as Alex described in the first thread of this post it will leave camera without ML trace. Is this correct?

Thank you so much for your patience and time!

vovkinson

Please read the post and try the ML on your 5dIII at your own risk  like everybody else here. If you freak out - use the factory setting or buy RED. Sorry about harsh words but this topic has been discussed a million times. Have some respect.

Quote from: dag on May 30, 2014, 04:30:53 AM
I'd like to verify how to upgrade from ML 1.1.3 to 1.2.3. I know it has been answered here and there on this forum but I'd like to confirm to avoid some problems. Thank you for understanding and patience (I'm just one of those guys who freak out sometimes... well, very often as a matter of fact).

My understanding is the following one:

1. Take out an SD card with ML 1.1.3. (at least I keep ML on an SD card)
2. Put a new SD card with Canon firmware 1.2.3 and do upgrade.
3. Format another SD card in camera.
4. Copy ML nightly build of your choice on the formatted card from 3.
5. Put the card in the camera and do ML upgrade.

Is this correct?

Also, once I do uninstall of ML 1.2.3 as Alex described in the first thread of this post it will leave camera without ML trace. Is this correct?

Thank you so much for your patience and time!

dag

Quote from: vovkinson on May 30, 2014, 04:40:30 AM
Please read the post and try the ML on your 5dIII at your own risk  like everybody else here. If you freak out - use the factory setting or buy RED. Sorry about harsh words but this topic has been discussed a million times. Have some respect.

I do have lots of respect for ML lantern and I've been running one on my 5D MK III since the first 1.1.3 came out. Anyway, thank you very much for your informative answer.

a1ex

For this, I'm afraid you have to upgrade to a 550D or 600D :P

Worm

Where can I find "bulb ramping"?In Shoot-intervalometer I can"t find it

RWBrooks

Hi,
Firstly thank you so much for this incredible gift that is opening up an already great camera. I really am impressed!
I use Manual White Balance a lot when shooting and need to be able to adjust it as quickly as possible. I have found the route that gives a fairly fast adjustment here:
Set WB to Manual using WB button on camera
With the camera in Liveview access ML menu Expo/White Balance/press Q/Auto adjust Kelvin and G/M.
Is there any way to shorten this so that a single button push will fast track through this process?

Many thanks

Richard

Walter Schulz

Don't have a One-Click-Solution but some kind of shortcut:
Use Prefs tab -> "Customize Menus" and choose Auto Adjust. It will be available via MyMenu tab.

a1ex

One-click solution by pressing RATE ;)

(you may need to disable arrow shortcuts in Prefs menu, or just tweak them)

swinxx

I use rate all the time, an impressive time saver! Thx

RWBrooks

Hans_Punk

Quote from: marekk on May 01, 2014, 02:45:11 PM
Fresh compiled version of ML with overlays on LCD (mirroring enabled):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ejsn7zn6eh1sdp/5D3_hdmi.zip

USE IT FOR TESTS ONLY AND ON YOUR OWN RISK

Thank you so much for this...this is the the answer to my prayers.
I really hope that it will find it's way into future 1.2.3 builds soon.

My only other remaining magic lantern prayer is to have REC_KEY enabled on 5D3 1.2.3 build - so I can trigger video record from an external trigger switch via half shutter command.
Is there a technical reason why it is the only camera to not have this function enabled?

Regards!

a1ex

1) ask Marekk to submit a patch

2) it's in Canon menu, why duplicate it in ML menu?

Hans_Punk

Quote from: a1ex on June 03, 2014, 10:46:11 AM
1) ask Marekk to submit a patch

2) it's in Canon menu, why duplicate it in ML menu?

1= Will do

2= Canon menu trigger can start movie record on full press of shutter button only, not half press.
Sounds insignificant but half shutter would allow a very simple DIY external trigger button to be made for anyone wanting to make their own wired record button extension  - without having to find a bulky two-stage switch that is basically impossible to find in a very small form factor.  It would also simplify many triggering options for anyone making their own remote control camera rigs, controlled via Arduino etc. (for cranes/jibs/etc).

Cheers for the reply a1ex :)

a1ex

2. Just tried shorting the shutter and the ground pin, and it started recording. Am I missing something?

Hans_Punk

Quote from: a1ex on June 03, 2014, 11:34:04 AM
2. Just tried shorting the shutter and the ground pin, and it started recording. Am I missing something?

Correct, but stopping record requires all pins to connect - requiring a two-stage switch I think.
I made a simple button trigger for the shutter and ground pin (or other pin) and it worked a dream on my 7D with the half shutter REC_key function. On press start, one press stop.

I (and I hope many others) will find it enormously helpful to have this function on 5D3 1.2.3 for remote record triggering.

Cheers a1ex (again!)

a1ex

Stopping works fine for H.264, but for RAW it seems unreliable. I'd rather try to fix that instead of adding YAMLMO.

Hans_Punk

Understood :)

Many thanks for investigating

pobox

I made a trigger that works fine with ML raw too. I used a transistor that provided some sort of delay for the 2nd wire. First the AF has to triggered then the shutter release too, then they have to be released both in order to have camera controll.  To stop the recording, same thing.

It happens to work work for me after some experiments. Without the transistor it is not reliable at all.

pascal

I updated from 1.1.3 ML to 1.2.3 ML without problems.
I followed the instructions by simply removing the ML card, adding canon firmware on another card, updating, then inserting the 1.2.3 ML version. Awesome work people.