Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stedda

Quote from: Steve_Brule on May 27, 2014, 02:05:09 PM
Can you choose to boot into the original Canon 1.2.3 firmware after installing ML?
Can you go back and forth between them?
thx, looking forward to trying this out!

Press SET while camera is turning on...
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

jarandov

Hi guys,

I want the use focus peaking and wonder what I have to enable? I have enabled focus peaking, but can not see anything on my live view display.

Stedda

Quote from: jarandov on May 27, 2014, 04:31:21 PM
Hi guys,

I want the use focus peaking and wonder what I have to enable? I have enabled focus peaking, but can not see anything on my live view display.

Global Draw
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Walter Schulz

davidc

Guys I really really need your help. I must be missing some vital step but I've been over the instal procedure at least a dozen times and my camera just won't read the files. her's what I've done. Format card, download ML files 1.2.3  Put files on card. Put card in camera. switched on camera. Then nothing. Went to firmware up date. pressed firmware update. camera says you'll need a memory card to update I press Ok then nothing. 12 times I've done this and still nothing. What should the ML files look like? I've gone to the link on this page and copied those files which says ML nightly. Are these ally he files I need cause sit doesn't look like it to me. Need your help. Some guy tried to charge me £120 for the privilege of installing Magic Lantern and I'm getting rather frazzled.

disjecta

Quote from: Stedda on May 27, 2014, 04:32:58 PM
Hi guys,

If you want to see the dots appear around the areas that are in focus, you will need to press the INFO button until you are getting the ML display. Otherwise, focus peaking will not appear. It took me a while to figure this out.

pjburnhill

Sorry, looking for some clarity on the FPS override and CF/SD card issue:

Alex, are you saying that the ~40fps recording (MLV & H.264) gives less corrupted frames if using SD card? Like someone mentioned, are there any SD card that are even fast enough for MLV recording at 40fps? Am I misunderstanding something here?
5D3, 7D

pjburnhill

Quote from: davidc on May 27, 2014, 05:48:39 PM
Guys I really really need your help. I must be missing some vital step but I've been over the instal procedure at least a dozen times and my camera just won't read the files. her's what I've done. Format card, download ML files 1.2.3  Put files on card. Put card in camera. switched on camera. Then nothing. Went to firmware up date. pressed firmware update. camera says you'll need a memory card to update I press Ok then nothing. 12 times I've done this and still nothing. What should the ML files look like? I've gone to the link on this page and copied those files which says ML nightly. Are these ally he files I need cause sit doesn't look like it to me. Need your help. Some guy tried to charge me £120 for the privilege of installing Magic Lantern and I'm getting rather frazzled.

Sounds like you have an issue which isn't directly related to ML & FW 1.2.3. but potentially something wrong with the camera and/or card if the camera doesn't recognise your card.

Could it be that you have the wrong card slot selected (CF/SD) in Canon menus? Can someone tell if this actually is possible or does the camera check both slots for cards/firmware?
5D3, 7D

vovkinson

If you can't do it yourself you have to pay somebody who can.  I'm just curious why you tried 12 times if you saw it would not work after 2 or 3 attempts ?
Did you try another SF cards, did you check all the setting ?
You remind me one woman from the past, when she couldn't  get something to work she would try the same way again and again until she gets absolutely insane and slapped her husband on the face :)

Stedda

Have you tried pressing the Trashcan Button after the camera starts up.................................????????

Walter Schulz

Guys I really really need your help.

Format card using your cardreader. Insert card into cam. Format again. Put back into cardreader. Expand nightlies content to card. You must have
ML directory
autoexec.bin
ML5D3123.FIR
on your card. Insert card into cam and run firmware update. Follow instruction. If you let timeout (30 seconds after successful installation) pass ML will deinstall itself. If you see the counter running down you have to turn off the cam. Restart, wait a while and press trashcan button.
Results?

danielschweinert

Do you already updated the Canon firmware to 1.2.3 ??? ML files 1.2.3 works only with Canon firmware 1.2.3

Steve_Brule

Quote from: Stedda on May 27, 2014, 02:07:54 PM
Press SET while camera is turning on...

Thanks Stedda!  I presume that pressing SET during boot will land you in the Original Canon 1.2.3 firmware?

BadSplice

Hi guys, I believe I downloaded ML to my M3 but when I go into the ML menu under video mode I don't see a Raw Video option, am I doing something wrong. Thanks.

Walter Schulz

You may want to read FAQ, User Guide and load RAW_REC.MO or MLV_REC.MO from Modules tab.

BadSplice

Thanks a lot I'll go check that out.

BadSplice

So I've been through all of FAQ and maybe I'm just missing it somewhere but I can't find information on how to load the Modules Tab to enable Raw, my ML menu has a triangle instead of an M, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Walter Schulz

Browse tabs. One is labeled Modules.

BadSplice

Thanks Walter I found it and got it to load, one more question if you might be able to help, when I hit record it only records for a second then I get and error message "Early Stop (9). Didn't make it to estimated record time" I'm using an SD card class 10 with 90mb/s, is there something else I need to do?

Walter Schulz

Bad news: SD card interface in 5D3 is limited to ca. 21 MByte/s and there is nothing you can do about it.
You need a fast CF-card for RAW/MLV at high resolution. Do a search here and decide which one you want to purchase.

EDIT: 90 mb/s = 11,25 MByte/s?

BadSplice

a1ex

No more updates, until you guys will understand that raw video should be discussed in this area and not here.

;)

Jakobmen

Quote from: a1ex on May 28, 2014, 11:02:25 PM
No more updates, until you guys will understand that raw video should be discussed in this area and not here.

;)

omgosh what will i do the rest of my life =( thanks guys!
Canon 5D3

disjecta

redaber

Amazing news,

does this firmware still allow the normal raw_rec module? i have no interest in mlv but i am very excited about the bootflag thing finally being fixed