Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marekk

Last weekend I recorded ~150 mlv files using latest ML for 5D3 1.2.3. No problems at all.

GooDween

with 29.97? in 1080p?
settings please card, cluster size.

marekk

Quote from: GooDween on May 06, 2014, 12:07:14 PM
with 29.97? in 1080p?
settings please card, cluster size.

1080p 23,976 fps, 2,39:1
cards: Sandisk CompactFlash Extreme Pro 64GB (160 MB/sec)
Transcend 64GB Compact Flash 1000x

vovkinson

how did you format your CF cards? in camera or pc? Thanks.

Quote from: marekk on May 06, 2014, 11:33:58 AM
Last weekend I recorded ~150 mlv files using latest ML for 5D3 1.2.3. No problems at all.

unfilmde

I'm new to ML so bear with me. I am on the Mac platform. Can someone direct me to a link that explains how to go about installing the latest version of ML for the 5D Mark iii firmware version 1.2.3?

The way I'd like to work is purchase an SD card for the Magic Lantern Software and record to a CF card (I guess letting the camera format the CF card). When I want to shoot still with Canon's 1.2.3 firmware, I'd like to be able to remove the SD card.

Do I simply format the SD card in camera, then mount on my Mac and copy all the files to it. Then run the firmware update to ML 1.2.3?

Do I need to make the SD card bootable or is this automatic?

So I'm looking for explicit instruction for ML 1.2.3 NOT ML 1.1.3.

I hope I am clear and making sense and thank you in advance or TIA!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: unfilmde on May 06, 2014, 05:30:29 PM
Can someone direct me to a link that explains how to go about installing the latest version of ML for the 5D Mark iii firmware version 1.2.3?

First page, first entry.

Piotr.23

And... how to upgrade from an earlier build to the most recent? Remove SD card, format and copy new files? Thanks | P

Walter Schulz

With firmware 1.2.3?
Just download nightly build, extract contents and copy files and directory to card. Done.

psantia

I ve tried the firmware on canon 5d m3 but ma able to use it only at 1728x972.. with superior resolution the recording stops and I have a trascendent and lexar 32 gb 1000x..
probably I am doing something wrong but am a bit frustrated..I an not saying it is bette blackmagic cinema camera but at leat that its simpler..

any advice?

ultimatemale

Quote from: marekk on May 06, 2014, 11:33:58 AM

You mind telling which particular build you use

vovkinson

where did you buy your cards? ebay?
If I was "frustrated" with magic lantern, I would  buy blackmagic cinema camera and call it a day. Nobody's here guarantee 100% working firmware.  Read forums, do your search and you'll find the info you're looking for.
As a forum member I just appreciate what A1ex and other guys do for us. If it does not work for you  just go back to factory setting...

Quote from: psantia on May 06, 2014, 10:20:03 PM
I ve tried the firmware on canon 5d m3 but ma able to use it only at 1728x972.. with superior resolution the recording stops and I have a trascendent and lexar 32 gb 1000x..
probably I am doing something wrong but am a bit frustrated..I an not saying it is bette blackmagic cinema camera but at leat that its simpler..

any advice?

Fioritura

Hi there,

is there a way to get rid of the "FPS override: ..." text when recording RAW? Except from disabling this function ;-) I tried searching this forum but didn't find any clue.

Many thanks in advance,

Andrew

marekk

Quote from: ultimatemale on May 07, 2014, 01:41:49 AM
You mind telling which particular build you use

It was a ML code compiled on my Mac, May 1.

Video:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11765.0
Workflow: mlv_dump > [ Davinci Resolve -> Cinelog -> Arri Log-C -> Prores 4444 ] -> FCPX

Fioritura

Hi again,

I just hooked up an external monitor and enabled mirroring. When I record H.264 there is no glitch when beginning but when I stop the recording the video freezes for about 1/2 a second. Didn't check to see if that behavior happens when not running ML. Any thoughts anyone?

BTW, much of what made me take the plunge and get a 5D mk3 is due to the energy that all you contributors put into ML, usability enhancements, the raw video option and all. My work so far could not have been done without this. Thanks so much for your time and effort! I'll try to make it up by working at creating even better videos :-)

Cheers,

Andrew

psantia

where did you buy your cards? ebay?
If I was "frustrated" with magic lantern, I would  buy blackmagic cinema camera and call it a day. Nobody's here guarantee 100% working firmware.  Read forums, do your search and you'll find the info you're looking for.
As a forum member I just appreciate what A1ex and other guys do for us. If it does not work for you  just go back to factory setting...

Hi, yes one ebay and one amazon, well am not saying Magic Lantern is bad . it is a very good thing and I do appreciate very much the work done. it' s that i 've find it difficult to record video.and to understand everything ..it is not easy..I have the camera stopping all the time  in 1920x1080..unless if I crop a lot , but i dont like crop so much ..depends what is it for.I can soot only 1729x 1008...The thing is that if i have to shoot something for work I would be very uncertain if to use raw with the last built 1.2.3 it is not so stable and i think needs cards to go with that does not exist for the moment.When I switched from canon 5d mrk 2 to 3 I thought was good think to do but actually  the 5dm2 was better to use it for video since there is a stable firmware...I did not get it first..in case I can shoot with the camera firmware no problem..it is I did not mind shooting raw..to have a bit more of film look.But we will see maybe in the next months there is going to be a more stable firmware for canon 5d m3.More over I can not use mlv with sound because on my I mac with mac os 10.9.2 there is no converter to dng or pro res.

But we will se..I might be lucky and find the right resolution...I am just new to this.. before I had a hached gh2 also..and was very good.,...

Fioritura

Quote from: Fioritura on May 07, 2014, 05:15:33 PM
I just hooked up an external monitor and enabled mirroring. When I record H.264 there is no glitch when beginning but when I stop the recording the video freezes for about 1/2 a second. Didn't check to see if that behavior happens when not running ML. Any thoughts anyone?

After installing the version Marek compiled I get nice ML overlays on the internal screen. Yes! BTW, when I start raw recording there is a 2-3 second outage on the external screen (SmallHD AC7), but stopping the recording does not seem to effect the video transmitted.

Cheers,

Andrew

unfilmde

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 06, 2014, 05:36:57 PM
First page, first entry.

So just copying the files to the SD cards makes the SD card bootable?

Walter Schulz

frenchps49

If you are on a mac, search
MacBoot - a Card Preparer for OSX
if you are on PC
Eoscard

Walter Schulz

ML for 5D3.123 comes along with an installer. No need to run those tools. Read first page of this thread, first post.

unfilmde

Quote from: Walter Schulz on May 07, 2014, 08:46:00 PM
ML for 5D3.123 comes along with an installer. No need to run those tools. Read first page of this thread, first post.

Walter,

I have read the first post many times. It is not clear. When I unstuff the zip file there is an autoexec.bin, a folder ML and ML5D3123.FIR which is the firmware.

Are you saying when the files are copied to the SD card and the card is inserted into the 5D Miii, the camera will automatically see the autoexec.bin and run as an installer?

Being new to this, what is obvious to you is not to me.

TIA!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: unfilmde on May 07, 2014, 09:59:52 PM
I have read the first post many times. It is not clear.

Quote from first page:

QuoteInstallation:
1) Format the card from the camera.
2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.2.3.
3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update.

Clear now?

jrcreative

I would have to agree. I have no knowledge of code or any of the inner workings of how any of this stuff actually works. Most of us are used to a button that says install on a Mac or PC and the rest is done for you. I would love to take advantage of ML but I always wondered why there are no official ML videos on the site that just take a novas step by step through the setup process from downloading the proper build to formatting cards all the way through shooting.

I've written step by step instructions on something in my field for people who have no experience doing what I do and I always have to be wary that they don't know as much as I do, and can't interpret or fill in the blanks like I would. I have to make sure that every step is "dummy proof" and listed out.

I've been searching through forum postings for months now and I'll be honest, I still don't feel 100% comfortable giving it a try. Perhaps it's just me, but i'm sure there are others out there who'd love to take advantage of this awesome feature but just aren't savvy enough to jump right in, especially when a Mark III costs over 3k.

J

Walter Schulz

Quote from: jrcreative on May 07, 2014, 10:28:37 PM
I've written step by step instructions

Installation:
    1) Format the card from the camera.
    2) Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.2.3.
    3) Copy ML files on the card and run Firmware Update

Feel free to send a1ex your suggestions.

Ciao
Walter

jrcreative

once ML is installed successful, can you opt to use it or not when you turn on the camera or if the SD card with ML is in the camera will it always boot up with ML? I remember using the previous firmware you had to hit the trash can etc. Is all that still necessary?

Thanks
J