Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidSh

Quote from: Stedda on April 28, 2014, 03:58:41 PM
Here you go you can read though this to see averages and what not... in all the reading and time I've been on here I've yet to see a post where a camera has melted down or been damaged from heat.

You're not the first to do extended recording....

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9673.0

Post 8 has graphs by camera model. You're well below the average.
Also see post 30 where it discussed the temps are highly unreliable and assumed to display higher than they really are.

Personally I don't think twice about the temp displayed... the camera will regulate it's self. I think it's a case of give someone more information than they'd normally see and they'll turn it into a big deal.
Thank you so much Stedda for that link...
Well after reading i can say  - to bad that this temp info shown the way it shown.
if its highly unreliable why get people worried for nothing?

Going to do some heavy duty test, shoot something like 5 takes of 7 min long shots one after the other and see whats happened.

Best
David.
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

Stedda

You need to read the thread and decide for yourself... but please try to search the forum/internet and find a melted camera or one destroyed by heat. You won't be able to because it's a non issue.

ML RAW has been around close to a year if it was a problem it'd be well known by now....
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

DavidSh

Quote from: Stedda on April 28, 2014, 05:51:29 PM
You need to read the thread and decide for yourself... but please try to search the forum/internet and find a melted camera or one destroyed by heat. You won't be able to because it's a non issue.

ML RAW has been around close to a year if it was a problem it'd be well known by now....
I wrote you after i read the thread,

I searched the forum for "temperature" and "5d3" but this thread didnt showed up. thank you for showing this to me.

i think ml should give the user the option to view the temp on lv or not.

Best
David

DavidSh

Ok,
I took 5 shots one after the other 7 min each 1920x1080 24 fps with audio. temp now is at 55c (annoying orange background)  but camera perform good.

Something i noticed that happened twice out of four, is if i format the cf card on cam (komputerbay 64gb 1000x) when i come back to lv screen becomes black and i have to pull the battery out to get it work again.

i think it happened after cf card got full and record stopped. going to try to reproduce and report.

Also after recording 7 min it does not show the right remaining space on card - 64gb card does not supposed to have 59.4 gb of free space after 7 min recording.

maybe i did something wrong.

using last build.

Anyway regard the temp, looks like its a no issue.

Best
David.

vovkinson

I noticed if you switch live view off and back on it'll show  the remaining space on card. Not sure if it's correct value or not.  Some "refresh counter" procedure would be required in the next build.

QuoteAlso after recording 7 min it does not show the right remaining space on card - 64gb card does not supposed to have 59.4 gb of free space after 7 min recording.

marekk

Quote from: vovkinson on April 28, 2014, 10:23:18 PM
I noticed if you switch live view off and back on it'll show  the remaining space on card. Not sure if it's correct value or not.  Some "refresh counter" procedure would be required in the next build.

It's not a issue with 1.2.3 firmware. We need some code in mlv_rec to refresh it.

DavidSh

Quote from: marekk on April 29, 2014, 03:02:50 PM
It's not a issue with 1.2.3 firmware. We need some code in mlv_rec to refresh it.
Good to know,
Thank you marekk

Best
David

Mei Lewis

Quote from: marekk on April 27, 2014, 04:25:11 PM
When HDMI monitor is connected to 5D3 1.2.3 in mirroring mode we can't display ML bars on 5D3's LCD screen because camera sets new value to lv_disp_mode. When there is no mirroring enabled lv_disp_mode is set to 0, when canon overlays are displayed on the screen lv_disp_mode is set to 1.. and finally when mirroring is enabled lv_disp_mode is set to 2 (with or without canon overlays). I replaced all pieces of code which check lv_disp_mode value with "(lv_disp_mode == 0 || lv_disp_mode == 2)" and lv_disp_mode (true) with lv_disp_mode == 1 and now I'm able to display ML bars on LCD screen with mirroring enabled:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uf5oi7ln28w0879/2014-04-27%2016.06.44.jpg

It's not a final solution because ML bars are displayed also with canon overlays...

(replaced code: zebra.c, debug.c, menu.h, gui-common.c, lens.c, tweaks.c)

That's great! Having magic lantern overlays work on the built in screen while also using an external monitor is the one extra feature I want from ML. Would you share your version of the magic lantern files so I can try it out?

vovkinson

can this change be included in nightly builds so we would able to test it?

Quote from: marekk on April 29, 2014, 03:02:50 PM

a1ex

Sure, just tell us how to do that.

Keyword: reverse engineering

vovkinson

I thought marekk knew :)
Quote from: a1ex on April 30, 2014, 02:33:22 PM

DavidSh

Quote from: a1ex on April 30, 2014, 02:33:22 PM

ha ha :)

achangsta

Quote from: Mei Lewis on April 29, 2014, 09:04:07 PM
That's great! Having magic lantern overlays work on the built in screen while also using an external monitor is the one extra feature I want from ML. Would you share your version of the magic lantern files so I can try it out?

I would also love this feature to be implemented into the latest magic lantern build.

Marekk, is there any way to inject your code into the latest nightly build?

marekk

Quote from: achangsta on April 30, 2014, 11:28:37 PM
I would also love this feature to be implemented into the latest magic lantern build.

Marekk, is there any way to inject your code into the latest nightly build?

Fresh compiled version of ML with overlays on LCD (mirroring enabled):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ejsn7zn6eh1sdp/5D3_hdmi.zip

USE IT FOR TESTS ONLY AND ON YOUR OWN RISK

Mei Lewis

Great thanks! Will give it a  go.

Jakobmen

Quote from: marekk on May 01, 2014, 02:45:11 PM
Fresh compiled version of ML with overlays on LCD (mirroring enabled):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ejsn7zn6eh1sdp/5D3_hdmi.zip

USE IT FOR TESTS ONLY AND ON YOUR OWN RISK

great! thanks!
Canon 5D3

artyg

Today i update firmware to 1.2.3 and install this version magiclantern-Nightly.2014Apr24.5D3123

And all OK!!! a1ex the best!!!:) No pink or other strange things.

Full roundtrip from Chmee's raw2cdng 1.5.0.beta3 -> Davinci Resolve -> offline proxy -> Premiere CC -> aaf/edl to Davinci and back to Premiere.

Only one strange was happend. XML from Premiere don't conform right in Resolve..... Resolve sey's "the clip .... failed to link because the timecode extents do not match any clip in the Media Pool" But AAF and EDL work correct.
Canon 5D3 SanDisk Extreme Pro 64Gb 160MB/s

vovkinson

Thank you artyg!

Can I ask you why did you choose the "roundtrip" so long?
Is possible to cut in davnici and export the clip to adobe premiere for final "makeup"?
I noticed when I import clip from adobe to davinci - I lost the effects applied in premiere... .

Quote from: artyg on May 02, 2014, 10:15:46 AM
Today i update firmware to 1.2.3 and install this version magiclantern-Nightly.2014Apr24.5D3123

And all OK!!! a1ex the best!!!:) No pink or other strange things.

Full roundtrip from Chmee's raw2cdng 1.5.0.beta3 -> Davinci Resolve -> offline proxy -> Premiere CC -> aaf/edl to Davinci and back to Premiere.

Only one strange was happend. XML from Premiere don't conform right in Resolve..... Resolve sey's "the clip .... failed to link because the timecode extents do not match any clip in the Media Pool" But AAF and EDL work correct.

evero

Congrats on the 1.2.3 ML achievements so far (the bootflag issue being one really important one)! I also noticed the "experimental badge" (I forgot the excact phrase) was removed from the 1.2.3 nightly builds.

I guess this is a stupid question, with no definite answer. Still, I hope some of you could share some thought about the stability of the 1.2.3 nightly build as of today? Many stability issues still needing a lot of work? Sorry again for posting this question - but it's so hard to get a sense of where we all are in the thrilling ML development. I know testing and contributing is the main factor and I will do that as well :)

Canon eos m

Happy to report, the 24th April build is highly stable and can handle audio, 27 fps,
1920x1080 without any issues. Card spamming was off and the card used was 1066x.

Better still the video plays back on MLViewer 1.1.5 without a hitch straight from the card. Not so previously.

Few observations, the last file before the card fills up will corrupt if the recording overshoots the card capacity. Don't know how to handle this. Second, miss the crop mode for magnified larger size frames. Lastly, where do I get hold of the H.264.ini files to run bit rate variations. When I press the H.264 option the error is that the H.264.ini file is missing.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

artyg

Quote from: vovkinson on May 03, 2014, 09:12:07 PM
Can I ask you why did you choose the "roundtrip" so long?
Is possible to cut in davnici and export the clip to adobe premiere for final "makeup"?
I noticed when I import clip from adobe to davinci - I lost the effects applied in premiere... .

Hi, vovkinson (sorry for offtop - are you russia? :)) I use this "long" roundtrip, because this is the maximum quality and flexability trip... I make offline clip and edit it in Premiere, then I grade final edit in Resolve and then back for final edit/vfx compositing. I strongly advise you to read Alexis Van Hurkman - The Color Correction Handbook 2nd Edition. One of the first chapters cover this topic ;) Good luck.

Today will test magiclantern-Nightly.2014May03.5D3123
Canon 5D3 SanDisk Extreme Pro 64Gb 160MB/s

pv25pv

is there anything new in May03 release? changelog is empty
cheers.
oh i just saw its about CANON_SHUTTER_RATING..no idea what this is for anyway :)
5Dmk3
24-105mm f/4L _ 16-35mm f/2.8L II _ 50mm f/1.4 _ TS-E 90mm f/2.8 _ Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX

Canon eos m

Hi g3gg0,

Things are doing great with the ML firmware. I need one serious help though. Yesterday, for the very first time, I formatted my CF card as exFat enabled to check how much the card can record in one go. The setting on my 5d Mark 3 was ML sound on, 1920x1080p with the mlv_rec activated. Card was the sandisk 1066x 32gb. The camera ran smoothly for 6 minutes. Then the card filled up and the camera threw up an error - cannot replicate it now. As a result, I cannot view the recorded video on my camera with the mlv player. What am I doing wrong?

I am on the 5th may build. I have had this problem since the very beginning. The last file before the card fills up always spoils the party.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

a1ex

GooDween

help me, why i can't record 1080p in 29.97
i bought new card toshiba 1066 64)
in bench it show for first 4 writes over 104mb 108-112
ml tells me i need about 103 for 29.97 for continious.
but it skips on 10-11 sec.
how people shoot 29.97?