Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpt

Quote from: unfilmde on April 21, 2014, 12:20:23 AM
Thought I'd post again.

Can the ML 1.2.3 be on a separate SD card and not the CF card you are shooting to, or does the ML firmware have to be on the shooting CF card. If it can be a separate SD card is there a speed requirement for the SD card?

Is there somewhere I can find out this information?
Yes it can. Take a look at http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20060.msg388253#msg388253 there is a whole discussion on it if you scroll up in that thread.

unfilmde

vovkinson

looks like the 1.2.3 firmware development process has not been very active recently....

davidcovo

When do you think there will be a stable version of 1.2.3 ML?

Walter Schulz

0 to 24 hours before the day following release date.

rpt

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 22, 2014, 10:11:40 PM
0 to 24 hours before the day following release date.
Walter, you seem to know a thing or two about software releases  ;)

pv25pv

5Dmk3
24-105mm f/4L _ 16-35mm f/2.8L II _ 50mm f/1.4 _ TS-E 90mm f/2.8 _ Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX

Stedda

Quote from: vovkinson on April 22, 2014, 02:59:09 PM
looks like the 1.2.3 firmware development process has not been very active recently....

I manage to download a new nightly at least once a week for 5D III 1.2.3 is that not up to par with the aggressive schedule you've set for the Devs of a free software?  ::)
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

vovkinson

I'm just being angry at myself for not taking part of the development process :)

Quote from: Stedda on April 23, 2014, 02:11:09 PM
I manage to download a new nightly at least once a week for 5D III 1.2.3 is that not up to par with the aggressive schedule you've set for the Devs of a free software?  ::)

vovkinson

I took a quick look at most recent build  for 5DIII 1.2.3 (2014-04-22) and noticed 'UNDO' step.
Does it mean 'no update' to 2014-04-16 version?

vovkinson

just tested 04-22-2014  1.2.3 and it crashed. reverted to 04-16-2014

vovkinson

sorry, I was not aware of this form of reporting bugs. Unfortunately I deleted the logs.

phdraw

Hello everyone, I'm looking to use ML for stills only. Just tried the latest build and see that in the "Shoot" menu there's only an A +2EV. Is there no plans of have up to 9 shot brackets for exposure?

Walter Schulz

Press Q. If there is a little Q showing in a menu item it is a good idea to go for it.

phdraw

neium

Hi everybody, I've been testing last two builds of ML, still not the 04-22-2014 one. They have worked very well for me, I've been shooting stills, and .MOV video. I don't have any fast card enough to shoot RAW video, so I can not say anything about this feature.
My question is: For those people that doesn't need to shoot RAW video, and only shoot in .MOV, is secure enough? In my tests I didn't have any corrupted files or frames, but I read at the begining of the post, that for video is better the 1.1.3 version, or this was only for RAW video?
I have to shoot for professional use, and I don't want to have any problem with the footage. And I would like to use the LV DIGIC peaking (for easy focus), the shooter fine tuning (to avoid screens and lights flickering), and the display information that ML has.

Thanks a lot to the big effort of developers, ML is an amazing tool.
5D Mark III, Canon 24-105mm f4L IS, Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS, Canon 50mm f1.4.

vovkinson

As far as I know  (could be mistaken) there's no stable ML version  for 5DIII (yet).
So, I guess it's not a good idea to use alpha/betta/gamma test versions for your professional work.

neium

Quote from: vovkinson on April 24, 2014, 02:03:32 PM
As far as I know  (could be mistaken) there's no stable ML version  for 5DIII (yet).
So, I guess it's not a good idea to use alpha/betta/gamma test versions for your professional work.

Thank's vovkinson, I know there is no stable version for 5DIII yet, but in my experience testing latest ML builds, I find it is stable enough for the work I do. I've been testing ML during last two weeks, with no problem at all.
I just wanted to know, if somebody had any problem shooting video in the original Canon format .MOV, all I have found in the forum were RAW video issues.
5D Mark III, Canon 24-105mm f4L IS, Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS, Canon 50mm f1.4.

tjaja

5DFree, 550D, canon 50mm 1.4

jeremynative

I installed on 1.2, but it doesn't work. The ML menu doesn't appear when I press 'erase' and theres no addition to the regular UI. What's wrong?

vovkinson

jeremynative,
If you describe how you were installing ML (step-by-step) - maybe somebody will help you out here.  Your statement "just does not work" wouldn't find many responses.

Tuatha

hello..i just wanted to ask if we have to uninstall ML 1.2.3 every time we wanna shoot canon's mov.
or by just pulling out the sd card the camera runs canons original firmware (with no issues i hope)
thank you

tjaja

You can shoot with the original mov even with ml. But if you enable the raw module its disabled.

So..every time you wanna shoot mov you just turn off the raw module. Its simple like that.
5DFree, 550D, canon 50mm 1.4

jeremynative

I found out the issue with my camera. I get a 'irregular battery' message when I load my camera, so that interrupted the installation process. Had to take the battery attachment off and it worked, works with it reattached after installation too.

May be important to include that in the installation instructions