Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_overseas

Quote from: FaniSkogen on April 14, 2014, 10:57:08 AM
One question though. Is it OK to use the camera with a battery grip? Did read in the installtion guide that it should not be installed with one attached.

The advice not to install with a grip is just the guide being extremely cautious. Like Stedda I install, use, and uninstall ML with the grip attached the entire time without any issue at all.

So far the only minor bug I've noticed is that ML only reports the battery percentage for one battery rather than an average of the two. I did have a quick look to see if I could figure out how to add support for the additional battery to ML but it wasn't obvious (given my level of knowledge at least). The Canon menu and top LCD still work fine for reporting battery levels so just use those instead.
EOS R5 1.1.0 | Canon 16-35mm f4.0L | Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD G2 | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L II | Canon 800mm f5.6L | Canon 100mm f2.8L macro | Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art | Yongnuo YN600EX-RT II

a1ex

Back in the old 550D days, there were a couple of guys who removed the grip, but forgot to put the battery door back. Result: they believed the camera got married somehow with the grip (they believed ML caused the camera not to start without the grip).

Example: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/239/550d-3rd-battery-grip-issue

mannfilm

With ML RAW and audio, is the HDMI out clean for clients and crew watching and/or recording editable HDMI with a ninja for backup? 

alphaandomegafilms

Please let me know if this is not the right place to report this problem.

5DIII
Not a major problem. It has to do with the crop marks. Global Draw (I've tried all modes) is on and when I turn Cropmarks off the Cropmarks remain on my monitor. If I turn the camera off and back on the Cropmarks are gone. I've repeated this several times and I get the same thing. This only happens when I have the HDMI frame rate from the camera to the monitor set at 60i.

If the HDMI out is set to 24p then the Cropmarks turn on and off when they are supposed to, but they do not fill the monitor.

mixmastermike

Quote from: mannfilm on April 15, 2014, 03:25:37 AM
With ML RAW and audio, is the HDMI out clean for clients and crew watching and/or recording editable HDMI with a ninja for backup?

Ninja with 5D Mkiii

Framing is perfect.

The only thing that doesn't work is the auto start recording via the HDMI trigger, this works without ML. It would be an awesome feature as we would have Proxies with sound already created by the ninja, with the exact start and stop point.

Mods - Should I post this as a feature request?

pobox

How do you get full hd output through the hdmi while recording RAW or MLV?
I only get 720p? When I change monitor resolution with the info button to get full hd output It won't record RAW but h264 again as i am not in the ML mode.

GooDween

Have anyone achieved continious or near 1080p 29.976?
I am now on komputerbay 1050 32gb. write speed on pc up to 125
but after 5 sec on mlv and 12 sec on rawmod without any features it stops.

nikki

Quote from: mixmastermike on April 15, 2014, 05:15:26 AM
Ninja with 5D Mkiii

Framing is perfect.

The only thing that doesn't work is the auto start recording via the HDMI trigger, this works without ML. It would be an awesome feature as we would have Proxies with sound already created by the ninja, with the exact start and stop point.

Mods - Should I post this as a feature request?

OK ...but no raw or prores yet?

mixmastermike

Quote from: nikki on April 15, 2014, 03:29:50 PM
OK ...but no raw or prores yet?

Camera is recording raw, the Ninja Blade is recording Prores. I will double check the resolution I just use this as a monitor with focus assist etc and a playback device.

Ill shoot a little today and transfer it to the Mac and check it out to confirm

mixmastermike

Quote from: GooDween on April 15, 2014, 02:50:36 PM
Have anyone achieved continious or near 1080p 29.976?
I am now on komputerbay 1050 32gb. write speed on pc up to 125
but after 5 sec on mlv and 12 sec on rawmod without any features it stops.

Older builds of MLV with "card spanning on" have achieved Full HD at 30p, however this is very early stages with 1.2.3 Firmware and MLV is also pretty new and still in the development stages.

At present the buffers are not writing at optimal performance, the Dev's are currently working on image issues and errors with the new firmware.

mixmastermike

Quote from: pobox on April 15, 2014, 09:46:53 AM
I only get 720p? When I change monitor resolution with the info button to get full hd output It won't record RAW but h264 again as i am not in the ML mode.

I'll double check this for you later today, I literally plugged it in and it worked off the bat I just had to hook up the audio.

In last weeks build the HDMI trigger was working too, so that when you pressed record on the ninja blade, it triggered the 5D MKiii to start recording Raw. This was a sweet feature I hope we can get this back. I have a OKII USB controller that triggers the camera to start recording, really helpful if the camera is on your shoulder. This has also stopped functioning, this was a real time saver just one button triggered the camera to record RAWand the Ninja to record Rrores with sound.

mixmastermike

Quote from: pobox on April 15, 2014, 09:46:53 AM

The image on the left is the Prores HQ 1920 x 1080 (.MOV) file, on the right is the first dng in the raw sequence. both full HD.

What input settings do you have on the Ninja?

GooDween

ok thanks just want to know that i am on bleeding edge of possibilities)
btw if it interesting here, card spaning with newest build don't help at all.
on previous build it helps sometimes.
and again in win i get 125 for write. and on ml test 88-95.
raw rec gives me few secs more before skip.
if i can help i'll try)

Stu in Blackpool

Hi guys, love the magic lantern software. I've used it since release of this 1.2.3 version and have shot maybe 2000 images with it over many many hours and tried most stills features and the only thing I had issues with came about last night. Was doing star trails and using the  intervalometer, and that worked perfectly. However, after use, even with it turned off, it always activates at half shutter.

It was ok until I first turned it on, and worked fine for 120x 30 second images and stopped as it should, but disabling it in the menu no longer turns it off.

What have I missed?

budafilms

Quote from: Stu in Blackpool on April 15, 2014, 11:04:08 PM
Hi guys, love the magic lantern software. I've used it since release of this 1.2.3 version and have shot maybe 2000 images with it over many many hours and tried most stills features and the only thing I had issues with came about last night. Was doing star trails and using the  intervalometer, and that worked perfectly. However, after use, even with it turned off, it always activates at half shutter.

It was ok until I first turned it on, and worked fine for 120x 30 second images and stopped as it should, but disabling it in the menu no longer turns it off.

What have I missed?

Put battery out and check again putting off. If not, format the SD card and put again ML. Maybe is a bug.

osk33no

i dont have a cf card reader is there another way to get the raw files from the camera? when i try and use the usb cable no raw files appear.

Walter Schulz

A decent USB 3.0 cardreader is just 19 US$ away. I recommend Kingston FCR-HS3.

a1ex

Quote from: Stu in Blackpool on April 15, 2014, 11:04:08 PM
Was doing star trails and using the  intervalometer, and that worked perfectly. However, after use, even with it turned off, it always activates at half shutter.

Nice catch, should be OK now. Please try any combination you may think of, and let me know if it doesn't behave as expected.

If anyone wonders why I'm sometimes slow at reviewing pull requests, it's because I smell this kind of bugs (annoying, but subtle enough so they get reported after many many months). This bug was introduced from a rushed merging in October 2013 (my fault, sorry).

And since I didn't have the occasion to use the intervalometer lately... you get the idea.

Stu in Blackpool

Quote from: a1ex on April 16, 2014, 06:36:34 PM
Nice catch, should be OK now. Please try any combination you may think of, and let me know if it doesn't behave as expected.

If anyone wonders why I'm sometimes slow at reviewing pull requests, it's because I smell this kind of bugs (annoying, but subtle enough so they get reported after many many months). This bug was introduced from a rushed merging in October 2013 (my fault, sorry).

And since I didn't have the occasion to use the intervalometer lately... you get the idea.

Thanks ever so much mate. Love your work with this system.
I know your main focus is video, but for for me, its added so much to my stills ability that i use every day that I cant imagine the camera not having these features now.
Specifically useful for me are the bulb timer and intervalometer.

To be able to do this in camera, while sat in the car browsing the internet is just amazing.

Thanks so much. :)

hjfilmspeed

Getting read to upgrade. I saw the bleeding edge was removed from the download description.

How is the classic RAW video mode running these days?

Can you still format your recording card to exfat to avoid splits?

mixmastermike

A1ex/Mods

Not sure if this should go here or in "Feature Requests"?

I did some testing this morning and I have confirmed that the HDMI trigger that starts recording on an external recorder, is not working.

I tried RAW_REC and MLV_REC with various different settings sound on/off etc resolution changes with no effect.

Im guessing that the ML code doesn't have the instruction in it to send the signal down HDMI to start/stop recoding.

From Atomos

QuoteSynced REC Trigger and Timecode
The Blade provides frame accurate timecode and start stop triggers over HDMI from many cameras, including Canon, Sony, Panasonic, Nikon, JVC, RED and ARRI. It also features LANC and rolling timecode trigger for those older cameras that don't have start stop flag protocols on board. The Blade additionally has tally lights to indicate start time.

This function works without ML running. It's a really good function as it provides instant frame accurate proxies in ProRes (with sound if hooked up correctly) to edit with and also frame accurate play back for anyone on set or even talent wanting to see how the last shot looked.

I realize that this may not be high priority, but if anyone has a moment this is a real kick ass feature, this massively speeds up post production and elevates functionality to that of a dedicated video camera with real time playback. 

Shield

Regarding the 04/16 build 1.2.3:

As soon as I hit record all the overlays disappear except for the recording time.  No focus peaking, audio meters, shutter/ISO information etc.  Any ideas?

4u2fast

Hi,

just installed the ML on my 5D, could someone try to press the magnifyer while recording raw ?
in my case it hangs up the full camera (need to take the battery out)

thanks
Thomas

Audionut

@Stu in Blackpool

Please be mindful of the image size rules.

@Shield

Look for the GD option in mlv_rec

@4u2fast

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can zoom while recording.  Otherwise, yes, it crashes.

rigs

@mixmastermike

Could you please tell which build worked for HDMI trigger and MLV raw recording. I want to use it with my Ninja but haven't any luck with the latest build.

QuoteIn last weeks build the HDMI trigger was working too, so that when you pressed record on the ninja blade, it triggered the 5D MKiii to start recording Raw.