Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paz

I've been running the bleeding edge dist for about 3 days now. Im not into video so I use the shoot features only, such as bracket and interval. There were times that the bracket fired strangely, one frame every 5-10 seconds. Seems like something was eating proc cycles and sending the whole camera into a confused state. Had to yank the battery as turning off didnt purge the sensor memory like normal behaviour.

This happens in 1 from 7-10 sessions of turning the bracket on. Not sure if this information is helpful at all.

p.

a1ex

If you can record a video of what's going on, will be helpful.

If you can find a way to reproduce, that would be even more helpful.

ultimatemale

Silly question 8)
Can someone please tell me how to get rid of bootflag. And when i get rid of bootflag, can i still shoot RAW videos?

Walter Schulz

Run the installation process (firmware update) from "bleeding edge" nightly and do as advised on the screen: Wait for 30 seconds timeout and bootflag is gone.
And no, you won't be able to use Magic Lantern at all.

Sergey Pylypenko

Quote from: Audionut on April 06, 2014, 03:10:20 AM
Hi U-Type,

Thanks for the share.  In the future, please consider sharing your video in the appropriate section.

This way, this thread remains focused on development.

Thanks.
The guy is still over excited seeing raw vid recorded on 5d3... Yes it is beyond comparison.

ultimatemale

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 08, 2014, 12:42:04 PM
Run the installation process (firmware update) from "bleeding edge" nightly and do as advised on the screen: Wait for 30 seconds timeout and bootflag is gone.
And no, you won't be able to use Magic Lantern at all.

Thanks dude

crbatte

pobox

I can record 1920x1080 25fps continuously with sound on a komputerbay 64gb 1000x

However, when I am using my Alphantron EVF it stops just after a few seconds. When I change it to 24fps I can record continuously again with sound using my EVF. Card spanning will not help me recording 25fps...

Does this mean a faster card won't help me recording 1080 25fps with sound as the HDMI is basically absorbing some speed? In RAW 1.0 25fps 1080p is possible anyway, but I love recording sound along with my Sound Devices Mixpre-d fieldmixer connected to the 5d3.

Any suggestions to let the HDMI not slow it down?

mariosk9gr

Hello guys,
I know Im out of discussion but last couple days Im watching NAB 2014 from canonrumors.com live blog.
As it seems the new "fashion style" for videographers is to be able during shooting especially those who shooting raw
to can apply LUTs instantly via a monitor or in the camera and watch how this is going to look and take a taste before continuing shooting the rest.This is so exciting that I would like to ask if it is something
that we can expect from ML team. In reality Im thinking to paste a few LUTs in my SD card (5D3 owner) and select which I want to apply to my selected clip. Ofc this means that we must have flawless playback and with the limitation of cf card speeds I don't know if its possible.. besides that as an idea I would like to be able to change a few parameters into my camera before I send the files into my editing system such as: highlights, shadows, midtones, white balance etc.
Again sorry for being out of topic I just thought to share a few new fresh things that I saw at NAB, keep the amazing work ML!

dubzeebass

There already is a LUT at play in MLV_PLAY to render the debayered footage as full colour. Interesting question though, anxious to see the proceeding comments.

joker97

Hi I'm sorry if it's already well asked,

what is the most stable ML version?

My main reason for ML is video autofocus.

I am hoping to get 4K video recording at some stage (here's hoping) ... along with autofocus, wouldn't that be awesome!

Also hoping to get f/5.6 cross type AF at the sides (currently only f/4).

If there is no autofocus i will use magic zoom to focus manually, but without a flip screen would be a big challenge (I use it 99% handheld)

Thanks

budafilms

I use for work March 17th. Keep in touch! ;)

ted ramasola

I was teaching someone to install and run ML on his 5d3 today and since I only have a 5D2 and 7D i was limited to the my experience with my cams.
Using the latest bleeding edge, I did manage to get it up and running. The only thing I could not figure out was FPS over ride.
Is is still buggy on the 5d3?
Reason is, I could not get it to "behave" as expected.

At 23.976 it seems fine however I tried lowering to say 5 or 10, I was expecting the LV to be so bright already, however it seems to my eye, only the framerate is slowing down but the exposure remained unchanged.

I checked in the exposure tabe and see exposure sim is set to movie. I had my 5d2 beside it and it was behaving as expected. Was there a setting on canon menu or ML menu that I missed?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

kontrakatze

Isn't that the way it should be, as your are only changing the number of pics per second and not the aperture or shutter speed?

Berni

Please guys ! this is not general discussion here....this topic is about 5D MK 3 " 1.2.3 firmware"only ....you may found interesting respons by making a search or create a topic....otherwise it's gonna be a mess here.....thank you for understanding

aliman84

Quote from: ted ramasola on April 11, 2014, 05:49:05 AM
I was teaching someone to install and run ML on his 5d3 today and since I only have a 5D2 and 7D i was limited to the my experience with my cams.
Using the latest bleeding edge, I did manage to get it up and running. The only thing I could not figure out was FPS over ride.
Is is still buggy on the 5d3?
Reason is, I could not get it to "behave" as expected.

At 23.976 it seems fine however I tried lowering to say 5 or 10, I was expecting the LV to be so bright already, however it seems to my eye, only the framerate is slowing down but the exposure remained unchanged.

I checked in the exposure tabe and see exposure sim is set to movie. I had my 5d2 beside it and it was behaving as expected. Was there a setting on canon menu or ML menu that I missed?

In the FPS Override tab, choose advanced and then select 'Low Light' as opposed to 'Exact Frames'.

dia3olik

Guys,
have someone solved the issue where if using the HDMI mirroring the ML menu isn't shown?
Thanks!

ted ramasola

Quote from: aliman84 on April 11, 2014, 11:05:31 AM
In the FPS Override tab, choose advanced and then select 'Low Light' as opposed to 'Exact Frames'.

Thanks aliman84.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

marekk

yesterday I recorded ~250GB of raw video using 5D3 1.2.3 and MLV_REC.. I works without hangs. I had issues with my Transcend 1000X 64GB CF card with 1080p 23.98fps 16:9. Sometimes it recorded without issues but I had a lot of scenes ended after 3 seconds (first skipped frame). I had also problem on ~20 scenes with black level but I fixed it with mlv_dump --black-fix option.

jon963

Hi Guys,

After installed Magic Lantern for 5D Mark III 1.2.3, why my 5D mark iii main dial was dead, restored back to Canon firmware is back to normal. I have tried several times.

Any idea?

Thanks

Audionut

Quote from: Audionut on April 06, 2014, 03:10:20 AM
Thanks for the share.  In the future, please consider sharing your video in the appropriate section.

This way, this thread remains focused on development.

Thanks.

diogo.fagundes

Im having some problems over here...
I have the 1.1.3 version installed in my 5d3 and the nightly builds for it... well, when i click the firmware update button to install the version 1.2.3 from canon (with the new firmware inside the sd card), the camera goes to a loading screen and then return to the main menu and some messages like "DATA/FONTS.DAT retry, not found and you have to install al ml files" appears at the top of the screen. I already tried to reinstall ml, to do the bootflag again... but this message always appears. I searched in the computer for this folder in my sd card but there is no .dat file in there.  what i have to do?
Premiere cs6, LightRoom 4, LR Time-Lapse 3, Mac OSX 10.8.5

Walter Schulz

First: What do you want to do?

Run your camera without ML, just updating to Canon's firmware version 1.2.3?
Format your card using your cardreader, insert it into cam, format it there, copy Canon's firmware file content (*.FIR) to card and proceed with firmware update.

FaniSkogen

I've been lightly testing the 5D3 april 10th nightly and haven't got any problems so far.

One question though. Is it OK to use the camera with a battery grip? Did read in the installtion guide that it should not be installed with one attached.

Stedda

I use mine with the grip all the time... its always on through install, upgrades, etc...
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3