Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Can you upload your ML/SETTINGS directory and describe the steps to reproduce?

gideonplus

I had Just tested the 1.2.3 on my 5D3 , Thanks for the Excellent work.
The raw rec was good up to 1920x1080x25p (Normal and crop mode) on Koputerbay 64GB.
But the MLV Raw doesnt work for me more than 1 min (4GB) and then it dumps some debug info about QUED something.
a sample of Logfile that was made to the root dir :

ML ASSERT:
hdr->blockSize >= (sizeof(mlv_vidf_hdr_t) + hdr->frameSpace + frame_size)
at mlv_rec.c:1990 (process_frame), task Evf
lv:1 mode:3
Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2014Mar16.5D3123
Mercurial changeset   : a9dced4a127b (5D3-123) tip
Built on 2014-03-16 13:26:55 UTC by [email protected].
Free Memory  : 165K + 3742K

SoulChildPaul

Quote from: a1ex on March 17, 2014, 07:51:53 AM
MZ flicker confirmed on 60fps while recording H264. Was it present on 1.1.3? (I prefer to avoid downgrading back and forth).

ETTR with SET: do you have any custom function assigned to SET? Some of these functions will change the button code.

MZ Flicker did not exist in 1.1.3

dancook

Quote from: a1ex on March 17, 2014, 11:39:35 AM
Can you upload your ML/SETTINGS directory and describe the steps to reproduce?

Sorry, I had deleted the ML directory - in an effort to get my camera stable again. I only touched the first three options in the menu with global layers, zebra and focus peaking. Also I had visual glitches from the beginning, when in the menus there was something overlapping the bottom section

I have actually found now, after reextracting ML to my CF and leaving the SD card out - it seems to be a lot better. Before I had many visual glitches in the menus. Now it seems to be working consistently.

Could it be related to using two cards? can't get the camera to boot with SD card in at the moment after having deleted the dir.

-- edit I put ML back on the SD, inserted it - still running smoothly. Formatted in the SD in camera (remove ML) - still all working ok

a1ex

64GB cards are now working for first-time install!!!

(I only had to rename the FIR to 8.3 characters, not less)

dancook

I forgot to say :)

Thanks for this!!

I missed it having sold my 5dm2.. I'd be eagerly waiting for it, since I have a MF lens which benefits from it greatly. This software is a joy!

thanks

KenshirouX

Quote from: dancook on March 17, 2014, 12:41:57 PM
I forgot to say :)

Thanks for this!!

I missed it having sold my 5dm2.. I'd be eagerly waiting for it, since I have a MF lens which benefits from it greatly. This software is a joy!

thanks

What did you sell your 5Dm2 for?

SoulChildPaul

When using mlv_rec continuous 1080p 25fps, after around 4-5 minutes i get frame skip and then a write out to screen which only goes after i turn off and turn on camera

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35621149@N03/13216327515/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35621149@N03/13216324395/

alMalsamo

Installed and working!  Another success!!  :-)  Amazing...

Nightly.2014Mar16.5D3123 here.

I have 2 questions however...

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

1)  Installing and booting from a CF card is still not possible?  I am currently running ML off an 128GB SDXC card which works great (had to make it bootable with make_bootable.sh for it to work however).  I tried to also set up my 128GB 1050x Komputerbay CF in the same way, but with just the CF card in, the camera is completely unbootable and non-responsive until I take out the battery.  If both the SDXC and CF cards are inserted, I get the message:

QuoteML on both cards, loading from SD.

and ML loads fine and I can shoot/record to either card.  Also, if just the SDXC card is inserted, I can also use ML with no issues.  According the the message, ML detects a copy of itself on the CF card, but cannot load from there (and makes the camera seem broken until I pop out the batteries!).  Is this normal behaviour?  Is it impossible to boot from CF cards?

2) Audio recording in movie mode, even with H.264, seems to not work at all unless mlv_snd is loaded and enabled.  Furthermore, mlv_snd causes many errors unless mlv_rec is also enabled.  Therefore, there a couple of things that need fixing.  Most important is being able to record normal H.264 video and audio without having mlv_snd enabled.  As far as I understand it, the mlv_snd module is for adding audio recording to MLV-style RAW video recording.  This is also what the module description indicates:

QuoteWith this module, mlv_rec is extended by sound recording support.

So why do we need this module enabled to record normal H.264 videos with audio when using ML?  In the Canon firmware menus, the audio recording is enabled and volume up, but when starting to record H.264 videos without mlv_snd disabled (default configuration!), it gives an error that audio recording is disabled.  This is confusing and seems to be broken.  Does normal H.264-mode audio recording really depend on mlv_snd, or is this a bug?

On a related note, enabling mlv_snd but leaving mlv_rec disabled causes many ML errors to the point of disfunctionality.  This is a user interface issue, really.  If one module depends on another to function, then the UI must load not only the user-selected modules, but its dependencies as well.

As it stands, after a default install, audio recording seems broken unless *BOTH* mlv_snd and mlv_rec are enabled.  So if you want normal H.264 video recording with audio, you need to enable RAW video recording modules but disable the RAW video recording.  This is not only counterintuitive, but it gives users a default broken configuration for normal (non-RAW) video recording.

If anyone else can confirm any of the issues I have outlined, it would be appreciated!

a1ex

1) already answered

2) H.264 sound works out of the box, no modules needed

garry23

ETTR with SET: do you have any custom function assigned to SET? Some of these functions will change the button code.

Alex as soon as you said this I realized the problem. SET custom function cleared and all working now. 

KenshirouX

Quote from: a1ex on March 17, 2014, 01:15:46 PM

I can also vouch for this. Sound always worked out of the box even before ML.

james_guu

Quote from: gideonplus on March 17, 2014, 11:40:54 AM
I had Just tested the 1.2.3 on my 5D3 , Thanks for the Excellent work.
The raw rec was good up to 1920x1080x25p (Normal and crop mode) on Koputerbay 64GB.
But the MLV Raw doesnt work for me more than 1 min (4GB) and then it dumps some debug info about QUED something.
a sample of Logfile that was made to the root dir :

ML ASSERT:
hdr->blockSize >= (sizeof(mlv_vidf_hdr_t) + hdr->frameSpace + frame_size)
at mlv_rec.c:1990 (process_frame), task Evf
lv:1 mode:3

I have almost same issue as yours. At 24p 1920X1080, Transcend 1000x 64GB CF.
MLV mode with Files->GiB (exFAT) enabled: I can only record for ~11XX frames. ~4.0XXGB file size (~50 sec.)(read from "Status when recording->Debug). then recording stop. no bug info screen.
MLV mode, Files->GiB (exFAT) disabled. I can record for 23xx frames. ~8.1XXGB (~100 sec). then bug info screen pop, but it still recording. During recording, there will be a brief pause (~0.5sec.) at 11XX frames (~4GB file size), then keep going. It looks like there is a 4 GB barrier.

RAW_REC mode, no problem for 5 min. recording test. never try longer, no need.

a1ex

For MLV, please report issues in the MLV thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122

It's still a work in progress, and so far the issues reported were not 5D3-123-specific, but MLV-specific.

KenshirouX

Quote from: a1ex on March 17, 2014, 02:43:39 PM
For MLV, please report issues in the MLV thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122

It's still a work in progress, and so far the issues reported were not 5D3-123-specific, but MLV-specific.

A1ex, do you have an idea how feasible would be to allow the magic zoom feature to be toggled on and off during RAW recording to optimise focusing? I'd love to have this feature as I believe it's more reliable than the Zebra option. Your thoughts?

dancook

Quote from: KenshirouX on March 17, 2014, 12:44:28 PM
What did you sell your 5Dm2 for?

To upgrade! more iso, silent shutter, better AF - mk3!

jafa

MAGIC , Updated firmware 113-123 , installed ML tested Bootflag on/off (works perfectly) Recorded three 2 minute MLV with audio , got split files  , then put Files to 4gig Exfat ON and Recorded Again no probs , this version MLV in 123 seems the most stable one ive used so far , also tested RAW and H.264 all working as expected.

Thanks ML

Jafa.

rpt

Quote from: a1ex on March 16, 2014, 07:29:52 PM
rpt: try with a smaller card

albertgarciarue: did you get pink frames on 1.1.3 with latest builds? I don't see your voice here: www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10443
So it loaded. I used a 4GB card and it loaded without a problem. The uninstall worked fine too :)

Now to locate the documentation and start reading it :)

Thanks!

soundsubs

I just had a slight problem that I solved, hope this helps someone else.

At first after following instructions, I thought my two 5D3 were bricked...
But then I realized you have to install the LATEST or nightly build which includes the *.FIR file in it.
Then it boots, loads automatically, and goes from there.

THANK YOU GUYS!!
Canon 5D iii / 8-15mm, 16-35mm, 50mm 1.2, 85mm 1.2, 135mm, 24-70mm ii, 70-200mm ii

a1ex

@rpt: can you install the latest nightly on the 64GB card?

(it worked on mine, with exfat)

Stedda

5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

viniciusatique

I was already running ML 1.2.3 on my 5D3 that I'd compiled from Chris's repo. Followed A1ex's instructions and now I'm running wonderfully here. Tested disabling and reenabling the Bootflag. Also no glitches. Congrats to Chris_overseas, A1ex and every other contributor for this!

alMalsamo

1) already answered

I had already lookd through this entire thread as well as did an forum search for the entire site to find the technical reason why CF cards are non-functional for booting ML even if made bootable via normal methods (EOSCard.exe or make_bootable.sh).  Seeing as you know that it was discussed elsewhere, it may be best not to spend more time in the 1.2.3-specific thread asking about it, but it is still not clear why booting from CF is not technically possible at this time.  Any links to further information would be appreciated.

The audio was broken on the March 16th nightly, but I just upgraded to the March 17th and now I can record audio on H.264 mode as well.  The March 16th build was flashing a "Audio recording disabled" error as soon as I hit the Start/Stop button to begin recording and it never showed the audio recording meters in Canon firmware mode or in the ML live view with the larger ML audio bars up top.  Only the menus in the Canon firmware would show mic activity unless mlv_rec and mlv_snd were enabled.

March 17th build fixes the audio recording being disabled for me.

a1ex

1)
Quote from: a1ex on March 17, 2014, 11:59:33 AM
64GB cards are now working for first-time install!!!

(I only had to rename the FIR to 8.3 characters, not less)

2) I bet you have enabled FPS override.

mva

This is fantastic news! Thanks to chris_overseas, A1ex, and everyone else who helped make this happen!