Canon 5D Mark III / 5D3 / Firmware 1.2.3

Started by a1ex, March 16, 2014, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 02, 2016, 08:40:52 PM
How exactly does an upcoming live event force you to update to Canon firmware 1.2.3?

I question this as well...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

ckrieg

How exactly does an upcoming live event force you to update to Canon firmware 1.2.3?

Sorry, I didn't make that very clear. It is live streamed to projectors and monitors for the audience to watch.  I will need a clean output while still being able to see what I'm shooting on the back of the camera.  This requires 1.2.3, doesn't it?  Or am I missing something?
If you have to upgrade Canon firmware there are several ways to do it. Do you have a spare card (< 32 GByte)?
I have a 32GB SD card that I run ML lantern on. and I have old CF cards that are really small. 4, 8, and 16 GB.

Thanks for the help!

Walter Schulz

Take one of the "old" cards.
Format card using your cardreader.
Format card using your cam.
Insert card into cardreader and copy Canon's original firmware file 5D300123.FIR to card.
Insert card into cam and run firmware upgrade.
Remove card.

Take your 32 GB card, insert into cardreader and backup ML directory and autoexec.bin and *.FIR.
Remove ML directory, Autoexec.bin and *.FIR from card.
Copy extracted nightly build contents (ML for 5D.123!) to card.
Insert card into cam and startup. Done.

ckrieg

Peatsmoke

@Walter:
Today it's gonna happen... Maybe you could give me the right workflow for me?
I have a formated 8GB SD-card for the ML files and bought 2 fast 32 GB CF-cards (by urbex I will be able to change CF-cards when I'm catched by ownes/security).
What is the right way to install ML for me?

Danke für deine hilfe. ;)

Walter Schulz

ali531

Dear All,
I am going to install first time Magic Lantern on my Canon 5D Mark iii . I have firmware 1.2.3 on canon. I just download the Nightly Builds (5D M3. 123). In my Magic Lantern folder I have only two files and one folder, ML Folder, autoexec.bin and ML.SETUP.FIR
My question is i need only these three things or any things else. It will be highly appreciated some one can help me for this regards.
Ali

Walter Schulz

ML is not for the faint of heart ...
Those reading the first post in threads have a slightly higher chance to prevail!

ali531

Dear Walter Schulz,
Thank you for your reply appreciated. Dear my Canon 5D Mark iii came with firmware 123.
so i have format one sd card from camera and should i copy all the files and folder from Naight builds and then run the setup some thing like that. sorry for inconvenience.

KeepItMoving

Good evening everyone,

I know its been a while since I've posted on here...  I have a question...  My 5D3 has firmware 1.3.3 on it...  Do you guys plan on doing an ML upgrade for this firmware?  I would truly appreciate it...

Thx in advance,
Jerry

Walter Schulz

axelcine

Got one of both. The ML/113 is so smooth and glitchless to work with. The 123 is almost exactly the same, but...

When updating firmware to 123 Canon more or less redesigned some of the internals in the 5D3 to allow for direct HDMI, correct an AFMA issue and a lot of other stuff. So when ML was updated to 123, some of the functions had to be changed, not a lot and thankfully not the most important. I use both 113 and 123 every day. 5D3 is a cam. ML makes it my friend.

If you don't need direct HDMI or very precise AFMA, install the 113, or else the 123 firmware with EOS Utility - you may get the firmware here:
http://pel.hu/down/eos5d3-v113-win.zip
http://pel.hu/down/eos5d3-v123-win.zip

Read about the different firmwares and ML's here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14704.0
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11017.0
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

mothaibaphoto

Just upgraded to 1.2.3 with December 21, 2015 build as part of experimenting with external monitoring. I quickly realized that as long as i don't need to record "clean HDMI output" but just see everything on big screen, there is no difference. My hope was to get ML screen on 11' in Full HD with 1.2.3. :) Record time slightly less - let's say, 13 sec average versus 16 sec non crop Full HD 30 FPS. And Level indicator is not working!!! Downgrading again :(

[email protected]

When doing regular videos (no ML) with my 5DIII I have been told to set the shutter at twice the frame rate.  So for 30  FPS I would set the shutter to 1/60. 

My question is -- Now that I have ML  do I need to or should keep doing this? I tried other settings and it doesn't seem to have any impact.

I would like the freedom to set shutter faster so that I can open the lens more without the need for a ND filter.   At a shutter speed of 1/50 (for 24 fps) and in shutter priority mode, the camera set the aperture to f11.  I shot some video. I then changed to aperture priority mode and set the aperture to f5.6, which is more so where I wanted it.  I recall the shutter going to 1/320 or so.  I shot more video.  It didn't seem to make a difference in the final product, and the final video was properly exposed. 

I would love to hear comments on this.  Thanks. 

lostfeliz

With a faster the shutter speed you capture less of the motion. The result is less motion blur. During playback it might not be too noticeable. It depends on the action in the shot. If there are quick motions of subjects and you are shooting at 1/240 or faster it could give you a jittery look. Even at 1/120 it can sometimes change the feel. Some filmmakers use a faster shutter for specific effect, but the reason 1/48 or 1/60 has become the norm is because of the natural feeling the motion has to the eye. There are no rules, but just be aware of the effect it gives in the context of what you're trying to achieve.

axelcine

I like that you try a more "filmic" look with 24fps and a 1/50s shutter (eq. just about 180 degrees shutter rotation "from the good old celluloid days"...). Higher shutter speeds do like in stills: freeze movement - in movies movements become somewhat staggering, which can be useful on rare occasions - see Saving Private Ryan.

With very low ISO you may be able to avoid ND's, but on the other hand: Once you get used to your ND it becomes a friend, and those apertures below 4 are just wonderful for intimacy and drama; big landscapes and wide angle work aren't so critical with higher apertures. Looking forward to see the results.

See Po Chan's / Shane Hurlbut's Canon 5DII iconic short movie The Last Three Minutes, one of the movies that got Canon started with DSLR video in earnest; https://vimeo.com/10570139
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

KeepItMoving

Thanks for everything axelcine I truly appreciate the info... 

Tomh

I have been using ML successfully on a 5D2 for some time and have just upgraded to the 5D3.  This comes with the V. 1.3.3 firmware and the Canon firmware 'upgrade' notes state the following (pasted from their website):

- 'Once the EOS 5D Mark III camera is updated to Version 1.3.3 (or later), it cannot be restored to a previous firmware Version (Version 1.0.7 through 1.2.3). '  (My italics).

In order to add ML I know that I will however need to do just that.  Do I therefore ignore the Canon statement and just proceed with the V. 1.2.3 downgrade anyway?  Of course, technically I have not upgraded to 1.3.3 in the first place, as it is the original firmware as supplied with the body.

Sorry if I am being a nuisance - I don't want to cause unnecessary problems with my new acquisition, but would like to continue to have the invaluable extras that I enjoyed on the 5D2.    Many thanks for the excellent work of all your software wizards.

Tom

Walter Schulz

The part about "cannot downgrade after this firmware is installed" (wording may differ) is not new but still incorrect.
Only in 5D3 1.3.3 Canon made an effort to disable downgrading. In-camera downgrade is actually blocked and you have to use EOS Utility v2.x to downgrade from 1.3.3.

Tomh

wewoy_romero

i have a 5dmk3 running on fw 1.2.3. i installed ml nightly build 2015dec205d3123.

everything seems successful and i was able to bring up the ml menu by pressing the delete button. however, i can't seem to find the function for afma/dottune.

anyone can point me to the right direction? thanks!

DeafEyeJedi

Sounds like you didn't turn on their respective modules yet (check under Modules section within ML menu) and once you do don't forget to restart your 5D3.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

vertigo235

FWIW I was able to downgrade to 1.2.3 on my new 5DIII using canon utility 3.x, I didn't have to use 2.x as stated above.

wewoy_romero

Akhi lavoie

Anyone knows if there's gonna be a nightly built release for the 5D mark3 firmware 1.3.3 coming out anytime soon ?
I sent my 5D to canon for service and they updated the firmware on me so i can't run ML no more : (