Open/Close shutter seperate from sensor activation and flash triggers.

Started by romainmenke, March 16, 2014, 11:57:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

romainmenke

Hi,

At the moment I'm building a shutter from an old hard disk to use with an old kodak brownie lens.
The shutter is controlled by an arduino and the arduino also controls my leaf digital back and triggers the flash.
It is all mounted on wooden plates that fit my View Camera.

Although it started as a project to use very old lenses, I soon realised the potential of controlling all parts of the camera independent from each other.
Before doing this, I had already build a sensor trigger with an arduino to take pictures of bullets and stuff.
This was the next logical step, allowing greater control over the picture taking proces.

So I was wondering if it is possible to control the shutter of a Canon DSLR separate from the sensor activation and flash triggers.
My guess is no, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

ItsMeLenny

Not sure entirely. However, there is the ability to have the mirror lockup when taking a photo.
Maybe I didn't understand your description completely, but;
You could start the photo and have lock the mirror up and then use your made shutter for what you need,
then press the trigger again to unlock and end the picture.

a1ex

The closest thing I can think of is to take a long exposure, then actuate your mechanical shutter.

romainmenke

Quote from: a1ex on March 16, 2014, 12:41:18 PM
The closest thing I can think of is to take a long exposure, then actuate your mechanical shutter.

That is what I mean.
The sensor thinks it is one long exposure, but the shutter can open and close at will.
Creating a strobe effect. This has been done in post and also with a strobe flash.
So from your reply I understand it is possible to actuate the shutter from ML?
https://www.google.be/search?q=athlete+multiple+exposures+photo&espv=2&es_sm=91&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nZElU9WsHqT-ygPA_4KoBg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=735#q=athlete+multiple+exposures&tbm=isch

I really need to learn how to write my own code for ML.
It is the next item on the list, after iOS apps.

And please A1ex don't waste time on this, knowing it is possible is good enough for me.
I'll just learn the code and make a module for it in time.

Bit off topic but your work on the new ISO's is amazing. The Raw development I was able to follow, but the ISO improvement and research behind it is way beyond my ability to understand.

a1ex

You can send a command to take a picture, but that's pretty much it (you will have to sync externally).