5D mk3 back to firmware 113

Started by jafa, March 14, 2014, 05:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jafa

Dont know if this means anything as im just a noob with all this but I formatted my SD card in camera today which was running ML Raw , removed it and reinserted it and my camera had reverted back to standard firmware 113 from the ML Next version ,  cant find any ML on the camera and its runs without any cards in it at all , ive since now re installed and uninstalled ML twice just to make sure , the only reason i posted this cause I assumed I would never be able to get my camera back to run normally because of the Bootflag issue , but from what ive seen it seems to function just as it used to before I installed ML , feel free to enlighten me as ive already said im still very new to all of this.

Cheers
Jafa.

Room101

I've registered to highlight this too. Same thing for me today, was running ML for 5dIII and firmware 1.2.3. Formatted both cards so there was no trace of ML, removed them and the camera still runs fine.

Levinson

there will most likely be a 1 to 2 second delay when waking up the camera from sleep which AFAIK is the only annoying trace of ML left behind (ala the altered bootflag).

A virgin camera will wake up instantly from sleep
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

Audionut

Yes, the camera runs fine without ML installed.

jafa

Quote from: Levinson on March 15, 2014, 01:49:05 AM
there will most likely be a 1 to 2 second delay when waking up the camera from sleep which AFAIK is the only annoying trace of ML left behind (ala the altered bootflag).

A virgin camera will wake up instantly from sleep

I have two MK3's , one of which has never had ML on it and I ran some start up tests this morning , both cameras have exactly the same wake up duration , when I pulled the normal SD card out of the one which I had previously installed ML on it was even quicker than the other one .
From the limited tests ive run with ML raw installed the bootflag issue was something I had resigned to accept as the footage I can get just blows me away ML, IS for me, a keeper , this is just a bonus as in a year or two I will probably be selling these on and upgrading.

walter_schulz

You are sure we're talking about the same thing?
"Wake up time" means the time the cam is ready for shooting (when pressing a button) after "Auto Power Off" timeout has been activated and cam gone to sleep.

Ciao
Walter

jafa

Ive just ran a side by side test of that as well and the wake up from auto off (one minute) is exactly the same.

Walter Schulz

Well, are the cameras up again without delay or is there a 2 seconds wait?

jafa

Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 15, 2014, 08:07:58 AM
Well, are the cameras up again without delay or is there a 2 seconds wait?

NO , no two second delay on startup or wake up , as ive said I have two 5dmk3's one of which never had ML installed there is from the physical tests of pressing buttons at the same time no difference.

Walter Schulz

Sorry to insist on this one but this issue has to be confirmed:

If your cams are in sleep mode and you're half-pressing shutter release button are the cameras up and ready without delay or is there a 2 seconds gap after button pressed?

(I'm not asking if the cams are reacting the same way now.)

jafa

Both cameras when half pressing the shutter button click on at the same time , and the live veiw screen comes on at the same time when button is depressed fully for recording they both start recording at the same time.

Danne

Did you try turning off and on the cameras with the on and off buttons? Should be a delay. Is there no delay at all in the cameras now? If there,s a dealy around 1-2 seconds before being able to get to use the camera from sleepmode maybe both cameras had ML installed.

jafa

Ive already done all that as ive explained in the posts above and ive owned both cameras from new for over a year now , I may be a noob here but I know my cameras and their  behaviors as I use them alot.
Im not here to jerk people around and I dont know how relevant this is , all I know is that by this method I got my camera back to 113 and it now behaves exactly the same from start up to record as its brother.

Danne

Remarkable.
Link to this please "standard firmware 113 from the ML Next version"
Thanks

Walter Schulz

Don't get me wrong but you are the only person ever *not* having a 2 seconds delay on a bootflagged 5D3 coming back after sleep mode.

We're not in doubt there is no difference between your cams. But if there is no delay it may be either an incorrect statement/testing procedure on your side or something (I think) the developers may be very, very interested to investigate.

jafa

I know and that worries me , I didnt want to make a statement that ive found anything significant cause maybe I haven't

I do however know that this only works if I format the ML sd card in my camera , If I try to do this by formatting it on the pc , then I still get the lags at start up and wake up .

If I can borrow another camera today then I will film both mine together and you can make your own minds up. 

Danne

Interesting. Did you format your SD by mistake while magic lantern was running in the camera or why did you get the idea to erase the SD while running ML?

Walter Schulz

The delay will occur with a non-bootable card, too. Format the card on your computer (file system not FAT32 or EXFAT), format in cam after, boot up -> delay after sleep still there.

Problem is ...
5D3's bootflag can not - at time of writing - be removed in a safe way. And if the bootflag is set, there will be a delay leaving sleep mode.
On other cams you might just use ML for some time, even on a rented one, reset bootflag after and all traces/startup issues will be gone. -> No problems selling the cam or dealing with renting companies.

If your cam has the bootflag enabled and you have no issue with delay ... well, good riddle.

Danne

Maybe Jafa could give the exact procedures step by step? As I understand it goes like this?

1- Jafas 5d mark 3 running magic lantern suddenly gets his bootable SD card formatted containing the ML nightly build firmware.(Which version?) which is running on the camera. This means you erase ml while still in camera running the ml firmware? This usually isn,t a good thing to do.
2 - Removing the erased SD card an reinserting the erased SD-card back. Do you shut the camera off before this step or is it still on? Do you even have to put the SD card back in the camera? Wouldn,t it run fine from a CF card?
3 - Put the camera back on and the camera runs as normal without the bootflag issue?

Are these the steps you made?

Walter Schulz

I don't believe investigating this procedure is helpful to corner the delay issue in any way.

Danne

Why not? Seems to me there is something in the procedure described causing this. Knowing the exact steps will likely reproduce the issue

Walter Schulz

We don't know (until now) for sure if the delay is happening on both cams or one of his cams or none of his cams.
I don't know how reproducing the steps will help here.

Audionut

Quote from: jafa on March 15, 2014, 09:04:52 AM
Both cameras when half pressing the shutter button click on at the same time , and the live veiw screen comes on at the same time when button is depressed fully for recording they both start recording at the same time.

Quote from: jafa on March 15, 2014, 08:20:22 AM
NO , no two second delay on startup or wake up , as ive said I have two 5dmk3's one of which never had ML installed there is from the physical tests of pressing buttons at the same time no difference.

Quote from: jafa on March 15, 2014, 08:03:40 AM
Ive just ran a side by side test of that as well and the wake up from auto off (one minute) is exactly the same.

I think it is quite clear that the OP doesn't have a delay on startup.

Quote from: jafa on March 15, 2014, 09:52:16 AM
If I can borrow another camera today then I will film both mine together and you can make your own minds up.

:D

Walter Schulz

No offence but I have been working with end users for some time and therefore drilled to never ever believe in something the user is telling if it fails sanity check.
Nothing is settled for me if the cam behaves in a unique way contradicting the very way ML works on every single other cam.

Still waiting for this one to be confirmed testing with a non-bootable card.

Audionut

The OP has run around in circles trying to satisfy every request in this thread.  And, has offered to record the action of both cameras.

Perhaps the judgement is best left out in this case. 

With video evidence, we can then move forward in either, showing the OP how s/he is mistaken, or, working to resolve the solution for all users.  ;)