Magic Lantern Newbie

Started by mbaugh0806, June 25, 2012, 05:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbaugh0806

So, there is a first time for everything. I am going to ask the first stupid question, I'll even try for two in row (set the bar high for the next dumb guy). I have not installed ML yet but plan on it. My first question is do you have to learn a whole new menu system when you load it? Meaning, I just got my T2i, I am just leaning what all their menu options are and reading various manuals on "canon's way". If I install ML does it make the whole thing different and all the books I have read obsolete? Or is there still the familiar Canon menu system?  Also, from what I understand the ML firmware is primarily on the memory card, so if I normally use a couple memory cards (like it seems many people do) do you have to install ML on all cards?

Thank you

Francis

Quote from: mbaugh0806 on June 25, 2012, 05:30:19 AM
My first question is do you have to learn a whole new menu system when you load it?

Yes and no. There is a whole new menu system that you will learn. All the features made available with ML are accessible through a different menu. The layout is not similar to the menu you just became familiar with. The good news is that the Canon menus are still there. Because the ML firmware runs alongside (not instead of) the standard Canon firmware, the Canon menus are also still accessible and applicable. For example, if you wish to change the video record mode from 1080p @ 30 fps to 720p @ 60fps you must do so through the Canon menu. There is no way of doing this through the Magic Lantern menu.

QuoteAlso, from what I understand the ML firmware is primarily on the memory card, so if I normally use a couple memory cards (like it seems many people do) do you have to install ML on all cards?

Magic Lantern is entirely on the memory card. The only thing that it changes on the camera is that it instructs the camera to look for bootable software on the memory card and run that software on startup. So to use ML, you must install it on each card you intend to use.

If you have installed Magic Lantern on one card and start up the camera with a non-Magic Lantern card, it will boot without any problems right into the standard Canon firmware without the ML additions.

I hope you decide to give it a shot. There is a lot to learn so start slow and don't let yourself be overwhelmed. It makes your camera a much more powerful tool. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

a1ex

Those things are good candidates for FAQ.

Arthur

I think I've read in the wiki that the camera will hang on a black screen if the bootflag is enabled and there is no card inside, or the card didn't have an autoexec.bin inside?
EOS 1100D | EF-S 15-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II (Kit lens)

Francis

Quote from: Arthur on July 05, 2012, 05:40:38 PM
I think I've read in the wiki that the camera will hang on a black screen if the bootflag is enabled and there is no card inside, or the card didn't have an autoexec.bin inside?

I believe if the card is formatted as bootable and there is no autoexec.bin then it locks up but I could be wrong. I've had no problems using non-ML installed cards.

profes

Quote from: Francis on July 05, 2012, 11:39:58 PM
I believe if the card is formatted as bootable and there is no autoexec.bin then it locks up but I could be wrong. I've had no problems using non-ML installed cards.

so the card has to be bootable (like an iso for windows) for the camera to need an autoexec.bin to boot. Can this be added to the FAQ it is very confusing to those of us who don't know how computers (and cameras) boot
also how is a card made bootable is it in the formating?