RAW Color Temperature Too Orange In DNG Files

Started by themattcastro, March 12, 2014, 01:09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

themattcastro

When I convert my images from RAW to DNG using RAWMagic (haven't tried with other softwares since I enjoy the simplicity of RAWMagic) my files end up having an extremely orange tint to them.

It's easy to fix in ACR by just taking the color temperature towards the blue side it'll end up fixing the problem without much effort, but I'm concerned that this might be ruining my videos image quality.

I set up my color temperature manually on my camera but it turns out completely different on my DNG's. Is there any way to fix them?

Using a Canon 5d mk3 using Lexar 64gb cards

Bringing it straight from the DNG files into ACR

After ACR

Sorry for the large thumbnails, dont know how to shrink them lol

chmee

generally you wont do a lot of processing after acr, so dont mind about losing quality. (there is still enough data to work with it, significantly more than in 8bit-mjpegs and h.264) :) (i want to underline the statement of @audionut. straight in the moment, you didnt even touched the slider the picture is recalculated, it doesnt really matter if you turn the wb more warm or more cold)
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Audionut

Quote from: themattcastro on March 12, 2014, 01:09:59 AM
It's easy to fix in ACR by just taking the color temperature towards the blue side it'll end up fixing the problem without much effort, but I'm concerned that this might be ruining my videos image quality.

It doesn't effect quality at all.

The color temperature slider simply says, instead of mapping this pixel to that color, map it to this other color instead.  It's an entirely lossless process.

dossisman

Also, keep in mind that the color temperature of the lights inside the library is a bit more orange-ish in nature, whereas the sunlight outside the window is cooler.  Problem is, if you white balance for the indoors, the window will look unnatural (as is the case with the referenced still). You have to take into consideration the color balance of the scene you're shooting. 

Ideally, you'd ND-gel that window to suppress some of the sunlight, or use color-balanced lights indoors (which is kind of impossible if you're shooting in a public place).  I would leave your scene temperature more towards the oranges. There is nothing wrong with that if the natural setting has orangish light.

CupertinoTony

I too have this issue.  Even though I  set white balance properly in the camera, and the ML playback in camera looks correct, the cDNGs have a color temp that is +2600.  It's as if during MLV->cDNG conversion, the color temp EXIF info is being written as "5800" no matter what.  I'm using rawcdng 1.5.0b6 for conversion (12bit maximized, delta pink highlights).

I'd like to take my cDNGs directly into Resolve with the overall temp set to what the camera had it set to (less manual balancing needed).   Is there a way to preserve the color temp through this workflow?

chmee

for raw2cdng is a small trick for that. shoot a .cr2. name it as your MLV (or name it ALL.CR2 for all MLV in this conversion list) and these DNGs will get the wb from the raw-photo.

built in since raw2cdng v1.3.0 - http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/

* but i will look on that next days - maybe i forgot to save the wb-values from mlv to dng - if there are some :)

regards chmee

CupertinoTony

Hi chmee,

This feature doesn't seem to work for me.  Tried both <name>.cr2 and "all.cr2".  I've verified that RawMagic (Mac OSX converter) does set the white balance when you specify it in the dropdown.

I've entered the issue on bitbucket.

Thanks for all of your work on this tool.  It's really awesome.

-Tony

chmee

chmee

@CupertinoTony
please mind of case sensitivity. CR2 (!) . in beta7 its on the listview, if used or not.

chmee

loool btw.

@themattcastro
found your library scene :) xham?! have seen you in one scene in the mirror :) bad boy.