Increasing the bitrate - does it do anything?

Started by KarelBata, June 24, 2012, 03:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hernanpatane

Quote from: John Kesl on July 23, 2012, 07:34:03 PM
What camera you use, the ISO and the card in it are important. If you use lower ISO, bitrate will not increase as much as high ISO. Also, on my 60D with 95Mb/s card I can pull 1.5 -1.6 up to 1.7 but any higher and the gains are minimal. If you set it to 1.8 you may or may not be getting 1.8. I would do the minute test. roll 1 minute on the same scene whilst adjusting the ISO and bitrate to see which combination of what yields the largest file size, write down those settings and then test them at different CBR to see how much file size you get. The most I've got so far on my 60D is 521MB for 1 minute of footage. And I can see a diff in AE doing color and look. The gradation is smoother.

Hi! What class is yor card to get bitrate? Thanks!

softimage69

I am using a 60D, and have a 16gb Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/sec card.  I am able to get 3x on 1080p24fps about 75% of the time unless there is alot of action happening on screen and the iso is low. 

If it is really busy, higher iso value, then setting it to 2.6 keeps the buffer from stopping.

With HDR mode, I shoot 720p@60fps, and keep the bitrate at 2.4 and it still goes. 
FYI, with all these settings, I have audio disabled.

I also have a 8gb 45MB/sec extreme card from sandisk, and they pretty much give the exact same results as the 95MB card... go figure...  :-\

Johng

Hi,
In my research the consensus is that the 60D I also have can once Read/write at 30mb. I have the 45mb Sandisk cards.  So if this is true then any card faster will only be able to transfer date at the camera's read/write speed.

John Gerard

boyadjy

Hi everyone,

i just installed ML 2.3, like everyone of you. I use it with a 5D mark II. I own two sandisk CF 30MB/s. Both are handling audio + video very well at CBR 1.4x
Original question was : does increasing bitrate do anything ? To me the answer is Yes. But you can't see it when you play scenes straight out of your camera. Everything happens when doing post production after converting to pro formats such as Apple pro res. As more information are recorded, your image is "less blocky", and it's better when color grading.