23.97 to 24 fps problem in ML, Pls help

Started by watdhell editor, March 09, 2014, 06:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watdhell editor

Hello
I took a shot with 23.97 fps in canon 5d3 ML,  then i converted the .raw to cdng through raw2cdng s/w, now when am viewing the metadata details in media pool in resolve(even after changing the project settings to 23.97), it shows 24fps for that clip :'(. Even in premiere pro the metadata of that clip shows 24fps. Actually it was shot in 23.97 in ML at a res of 1920x1080p. What could be the problem here. Pls advice & thanks in advance

ted ramasola

Nothing wrong with your file, just change them manually in both premiere and resolve.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

watdhell editor

@ramasola: Thank you, I will try to change them, but does it affect the quality of my video by changing the fps that way. And any idea why resolve and premiere gave me a wrong metadata(fps) instead of the actual one and does this happen with blackmagic camera cdng too?

chmee

* My converter writes 24fps as framerate into the frames, because its no problem to change it inside the videoeditors.
* it does not affect the quality..
* its important you change the framerate with properties of the sequence
* resolve acts with the framerate as its set in the projectssettings, its less interested in the sequence-framerate.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

RTLdan

Not sure if this is the same thing the OP was seeing, but I got confused once with some settings too.
It was in Resolve I think. Anyway, it was showing the "playback framerate" as 24fps, but as far as I'm aware, the rendered footage was still 23.97.  I chalked it up to some sort of internal processing for the app.
Maybe smarter and more experienced people will know more...but just thought I'd throw in what I've noticed before.
-Daniel

chmee

if you're processing, you re on the wrong way. its not needed.

Audionut

Someone should write a post about setting the frame rate correctly in post process tools, since it gets asked every other day, and I can sticky it.

Screenshots showing the function in each editor would be nice.  :)

watdhell editor

Thank you , have anyone experienced similar issues like shooting at a frame rate and converting the .raw to cdng for which the clip reflecting as 24 fps in its metadata in resolve or premiere? Have u tweaked it down to 23.97 without compromising on quality?
Since its not only about resolve, it does happen to be the same in premiere too? Am still trying to understand whether it might be the converter issue(.raw to cdng). Since we are working on a big project, looking for a solid answer from experts like you all, thanks in advance :)

ted ramasola

When you set your camera in ML menu at 23.976 it is recording 23.976.

Raw DNGs don't hold fps metadata properly so in Resolve once you click your default untitled project after log in/ right click it to confirm in master setting that fps is at 23.976.
Once you import your DNG into the bin its now 23.976. If you just click the preset, and not change it in master settings your dng clip will be marked as 24 and you have to go to clip attributes and change manually the clip speed.
Same with after effects or premiere unless you changed the preferences that imported sequential files shall be imported at 23.976.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

chmee

i wrote it already.. (in raw2cdng) i write 24fps static into the dng-header.. you call it issue, i call it no-brainer, because i didnt thought, it could be that problem.

Premiere:
* adjust your project as you need (res and fps)
* import cdng's
* rightclick on footage (in bin) will show you "interprete footage"
* change framerate.

NO changes in quality, because theres no recalculation.