Using the same CF card in multiple Cameras

Started by ftosam, March 08, 2014, 01:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftosam

Hi guys,

I have a Canon 5D2 and a 5D3, however I wish to use ML in both. I'm running the latest nightly builds at the moment.

For the Mark3 I'm running ML from a 32gb SD card, but recording to the CF.

For the Mark2, i'm obviously just running it from the CF.

My question is, can I have ML for the Mark2 installed on all my CF cards, and be able to use them in both?

THanks a heap!

Sam

Audionut

No.

Each download contains a build specific to that camera.

Marsu42

Quote from: ftosam on March 08, 2014, 01:29:08 AM
My question is, can I have ML for the Mark2 installed on all my CF cards, and be able to use them in both?

Nope, but at least it would be nice to have at least the 5d2 boot at all with 5d3 ML on the card - I already suggested this, but as far as I remember the opinion was that this would confuse the simple users. Right now with 5d3 ML in 5d2 the latter will be dead in the water, and a new "unified" build system is in the far future.

VisualPursuit

A1ex posted in the thread regarding dumping firmware 1.2.3 that he was running a
version he built for 5.2 *AND* 5.3, IF I understood him right.

My impression is that it is possible from this statement, and likely the biggest
obstacle against a release unified version today is the 5.3 bootflag problem.

If anybody has an idea how to solve the bootflag problem - come forward!

dmilligan

It is theoretically possible. It has nothing to do with the bootflag "problem".

Combining all the code for the various cameras into one single autoexec.bin means that the binary would be huge, slow to load, and some cameras wouldn't be able to load it (1100D, 600D, probably others), b/c there's a pretty small size limit for those cameras.

The solution would be some kind of minimal cross platform 'bootloader' autoexec.bin that would boot, check the camera/fw, and then load the appropriate binary for the particular camera off the card. That would require a huge amount of work and is probably a long long way off, if it ever happens at all. (This is what Marsu42 was referring to).

Right now, with the current state of ML, a fully featured 'unified' build for all cameras is not possible.