Raw Aliasing - After Effects vs. Davinci Resolve

Started by Veerle, March 07, 2014, 06:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevefal

To my eye, Adobe Camera Raw debayering looks better than Resolve's.
Steve Falcon

ted ramasola

To be precise on my answer, I studied a 2048 x 930 res chart and used both after effects and resolve.

They have the same image. Resolve did not introduce more aliasing.

You might "see" a worse aliasing while working within resolve and looking at its color tab window and enlarging it. However when you export the file and open that file in after effects and put it side by side, they are the same.

I was fooled as well judging the aliasing from within resolve's window.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Midphase

Agree with Ted.

Also, in Resolve, make sure that the Use Best Debayer Settings and Best Resizing are checked before exporting.

stevefal

QuoteYou might "see" a worse aliasing while working within resolve and looking at its color tab window and enlarging it. However when you export the file and open that file in after effects and put it side by side, they are the same.

Good to know. Of course it's nice to see what you're going to get before exporting, especially when working with blur/sharpening.
Steve Falcon

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

As far as I know, Adobe uses its own modification of AHD for demosaicing. I looked quickly on the BM algorithm and found nothing (anyone there?)... but it is likely that they use an algorithm less complex because of application in video, which would explain the pronounced aliasing.

ted ramasola

This is a side by side crop of the chart shot at 2048 x 930.

If you use resolve's default sharpening it makes you "see"  a perception of more aliasing but in fact it enhances the edges and make it seem so. Resolve has a high default sharpening so lower it just as you would in acr.
Contrast settings also increase the preception of different aliasing behavior between the same image.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Thejungle

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 07, 2014, 09:49:04 PM
This is a side by side crop of the chart shot at 2048 x 930.

If you use resolve's default sharpening it makes you "see"  a perception of more aliasing but in fact it enhances the edges and make it seem so. Resolve has a high default sharpening so lower it just as you would in acr.
Contrast settings also increase the preception of different aliasing behavior between the same image.

It looks clearly like Resolve is better.

kgv5

I found resolve raw sharpening much better than ACRs one, i think results are much crisper and more detailed. I was making some comparisons and resolve gave me more fine details like trees, branches etc. The great movie "Beauty in nature" was so crisp and detailed thanks to resolve sharpening (well, in addition to great lenses and the crop mode).
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8932.msg84521#msg84521

Right now for me this is one of the most important features (right after high speed) and the reason to switch from ACR to resolve back again.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

@ted ramasola

You can do it?

Open this chat image on RawTherapee and post some samples with LMMSE and IGV algorithm?
I saw this same effect in the lower right corner on other images, and generally these two interpolation artifacts came. This would explain the adcional sharpen, because these two algorithms are optimized for high noise.

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 07, 2014, 11:48:06 PM
I have not used rawtherapee. What is it for?

It is a RAW engine, like a ACR, but open source and better: https://www.rawtherapee.com

Thejungle

Quote from: Luiz Roberto dos Santos on March 08, 2014, 01:08:59 AM
It is a RAW engine, like a ACR, but open source and better: https://www.rawtherapee.com

But unfortunately I don't recommend this one. Debayering in RT sucks (it introduces a lot of noise into images). Much better one with a lot more options, much deeper control is Photivo, which I use a lot and it won't disappoint you. It's quite different in UI, but you can deal with it after a bit of trying it out.

togg