Davinci Resolve auto-sync wav to DNGs problem

Started by PeterR, March 06, 2014, 09:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterR

Just when I thought I figured out how to sync wav files to DNG shots within resolve (in the media tab, right click on the dng folders and click " "auto sync audio based on timecode and append tracks."), I found on exporting proxies that it is syncing the same wav files for each clip so each clip plays the same audio. Has anyone else had this problem and know of a solution?
GH4 + 5D2 w magic lantern. Davinci Resolve>Premiere Pro>Davinci Resolve workflow

mageye

So how did you manage to add timecode to the audio files?
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

PeterR

Quote from: mageye on March 06, 2014, 09:33:07 PM
So how did you manage to add timecode to the audio files?

I didn't add timecode. I assumed it was embedded in the wav file generated using mlvmystic.

Any ideas how exactly to batch sync the audio wav files with the dng's?
GH4 + 5D2 w magic lantern. Davinci Resolve>Premiere Pro>Davinci Resolve workflow

PeterR

After much trial and error, I found that a) I have to manually sync the wav's to the dng clips, and b) when rendering out, the "individual source clips" will not include the audio whereas if selecting "single file" it does.

Since my intention is to edit in Premiere pro, I need to export individual clips, and then in premiere align the wav's with the newly created prores 422 hq clips. I don't stay solely within resolve because I don't have some features I know well within premiere.

Solutions for easier wav linking within resolve and working export of individual clips?

andy kh

Quote from: PeterR on March 06, 2014, 09:10:02 PM
Just when I thought I figured out how to sync wav files to DNG shots within resolve (in the media tab, right click on the dng folders and click " "auto sync audio based on timecode and append tracks."), I found on exporting proxies that it is syncing the same wav files for each clip so each clip plays the same audio. Has anyone else had this problem and know of a solution?

haha. i have already tried that long time back. only the first audio will sync with all other clips.

for windows users raw2cdng is the best. no more manual audio sync. all audios and videos are automatically sync. god damn i love this application so much.
5D Mark III - 70D

PeterR

Quote from: andy kh on March 09, 2014, 06:09:25 PM

haha. i have already tried that long time back. only the first audio will sync with all other clips.

for windows users raw2cdng is the best. no more manual audio sync. all audios and videos are automatically sync. god damn i love this application so much.

That's good news. Thanks for sharing. I'm currently using MLVmystic but it doesn't output cDNG, only DNG with separated WAVs. Having just spent a couple hours manually aligning wav's in premiere pro, with another 1-2 hours to go, I'm very ready for a solution if anyone has one. Thanks.

Baarman

Hi!

I'm having exactly the same problem. Wandered around in Blackmagic forum and there' s seems to be an issue with assigning FPS value for the .wav clips. Have you checked yours in Resolve? I can see that all my .wav-s that I got after converting with mlv_dump.osx are having FPS 0 although the value should be the same as the DNG-s are. In my case 23,976 FPS. Also, timecode is different than DNG-s. It differs in same cases up to a few seconds.

A bug in MLV or a bug in mlv_dump.osx? Or I'm doing something wrong? This is the topic I found: http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5699

chmee

WAV-Files have no FPS- and no Timecode-Metadata. So finally, its up to you to sync/link them manually. Actually i dont use Resolve, because Premiere is (was?!) my main intention. I think, the autosync will work, if dng-files and wav-file have same filename.

(edit: the wav files are about 5 frames longer than the dng-sequence. dont mind about it, because they're in sync if they start together..)

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

ted ramasola

Quote from: Baarman on March 20, 2014, 11:19:16 PM
Hi!

I'm having exactly the same problem. Wandered around in Blackmagic forum and there' s seems to be an issue with assigning FPS value for the .wav clips. Have you checked yours in Resolve? I can see that all my .wav-s that I got after converting with mlv_dump.osx are having FPS 0 although the value should be the same as the DNG-s are. In my case 23,976 FPS. Also, timecode is different than DNG-s. It differs in same cases up to a few seconds.

A bug in MLV or a bug in mlv_dump.osx? Or I'm doing something wrong? This is the topic I found: http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5699

The wav file will always be the same FPS as what the canon menu is at. So if you have set your canon menu at 24p and in ML menu FPS override to 15 or whatever, the wav files will be at 24fps.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Baarman

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 20, 2014, 11:38:45 PM
The wav file will always be the same FPS as what the canon menu is at. So if you have set your canon menu at 24p and in ML menu FPS override to 15 or whatever, the wav files will be at 24fps.

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I understand but that doesn't explain the advice in Blackmagic forum, does it?
Also, the problem PeterR and andy kh are talking about, remains. I have exactly the same issue:  While editing in Resolve 10 Lite it plays all the DNG-s with correct audio files (no matter if synced manually or automatically), when rendering out "individual source clips" as neccessary for FCPX roundtrip, all the clips are getting only the first .wav audio. Annoying. :( Much appreciated if somebody has a solution/suggestion.

Thanks,
Baarman

Baarman

Quote from: PeterR on March 09, 2014, 06:54:44 PM
That's good news. Thanks for sharing. I'm currently using MLVmystic but it doesn't output cDNG, only DNG with separated WAVs. Having just spent a couple hours manually aligning wav's in premiere pro, with another 1-2 hours to go, I'm very ready for a solution if anyone has one. Thanks.

Hi,

Is MLVmystic better than mlv_dump.osx?

thanks,
Baarman

Baarman

I'm either using raw2dng, Rawmagic (for first generation RAW-s) or mlv_dump.osx (for RAW_MLV). Do you know if something with the same capability like raw2cdng has been made for OSX?
And is there any benefits in postproduction if writing audio to SD card instead CF card while shooting with 5dmkIII? Beside assumed spared write speed on CF card?

Thanks,
Baarman

ted ramasola

This might help those with resolve and wav files issues.

The auto sync does based on timecode not work well with the ml made dngs+wav, I have to individually link them in the media bin.

1. import/drag the folder containing the dngs and wavs to media pool.
2. in the master panel, the files by default are grouped wavs and dngs, Click on the label "name" on names column to sort them, now they are paired wav and DNGs according to name.
  Click it again so it is sorted with dng first and wav second.
3. go to the embedded audio panel on the top right and click the "dailies" button, by default its "levels". This shows the corresponding wav file when you select the DNG file.
4. Now go back to the master panel, and starting with the first dng, select it, (it shows on the playback window) select the wav below, (it will show in the embedded audio window) CLICK the Link button. This now Links your wav to the DNG.
5. Quickly go through the rest of your files by clicking them from the top down, everytime you select a wavfile, click the link button.
6. Go to the EDIT Page, from the File menu drop down, choose New timeline, UNCHECK create empty timeline, this creates a new timeline and your DNGs WITH Linked Wav files are now ready for edit.
7. When your ready to export, Go to  DELIVERY page, choose Individual clips, choose render audio.

NOTE, while in the edit page, when editing a scene with dialogue using wav files extracted from MLV, you might need to unlink the audio and nudge it back 1-2 frame to get proper lip sync. Link them after, before final export.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

I'm editing the heading since this is not just an OSX issue but windows as well.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Andy,

Using Chmee's latest cdng converter the auto sync based on timecode still wont work and would only link the first wav to all the clips so I guess it doesnt matter if its dng or cdng, the current converters just wont function with resolve's auto sync feature.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Baarman

Thanks Ted for a great advice, it really works like this and this is essential workaround until ML fixes the autosync issue. Thanks again !

BTW, has anybody aware of any development made regarding RAW - DNG conversion tool that allows to pick/change output directory? A while ago there were a few topics that adressed this issue (MIRawViewer, raw2dng, Rawmagic doesn't allow this and you have to have at least twice of free storage available for a footage), but I have somehow lost them.

ted ramasola

AUDIO AUTO SYNC NOW WORKS WITH LATEST BETA!!

Thanks Chmee!
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Baarman

This is still only for PC? Nothing for Mac yet? Also, is there any soft for Mac that allows to choose output directory for DNG files?

Thanks!

allemyr

Great! Thank you very much for this autosync feuture! Really great! Thanks  8)

chmee

please keep in mind, there are circumstances, it wont work. i couldnt figure out, what's the reason, i assume it has to do with broken/dropped framerates. the timecodes for video and audio are different then. if it happens, leave me a message with the logfile from beta6.

regards chmee

Baarman

Update: Rawmagic full version (not lite) allows to choose output directory an also full 14bit color range instead 12bit with Lite. Full version only costs ~25 $, I recommend.

chmee

wrong thread? here its about the resolve audio-syncing..

Johannes

Danne