Record simultaneously: MLV & h264

Started by dubzeebass, March 06, 2014, 05:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubzeebass

Hey Magic Lantern dudes

Is it possible on fast cards to record h264 proxies at the same time as MLV? Don't think it's been asked... But boy that would make reviewing on-set easier!

budafilms

dubzeebass

No technical description in there just a bunch of conjecture. So budafilms thanks to your response which incredibly adds an unbelievable level of value to my day and this forum, care to expand?

Audionut

Quote from: dubzeebass on March 06, 2014, 05:30:06 AM
Is it possible on fast cards to record h264 proxies at the same time as MLV?

Quote from: budafilms on March 06, 2014, 09:21:14 AM
No.

Question answered!

Exaggeratedly "friendly" (in that fashion) or useful: Pick one.

dubzeebass

There's a difference between NO with supporting information and NO to be dismissive. Inquiring mind wants to know why ;-)

Oswald

Write Raw in Cf card and h264 in sd card? :) but I think that cpu is not powerful to  do both at the same time.
7D, EOS-M & 100D.100b ΒΆ  Sigma 18-35mm, Canon 50mm F1.8, 22 STM, 8-48mm f1.0, 18-55 EF-M STM

dubzeebass

That's where I lose the logic because there's a dedicated chip for h264 encoding. My postulation is that maybe the raw feed is rerouted right to the file system and so doesn't hit the encoder?

Audionut

0's and 1's don't just move from one place to another without effort.

dubzeebass

Quote from: Audionut on March 06, 2014, 03:27:03 PM
0's and 1's don't just move from one place to another without effort.

Agreed - but - with fast cards = idle time. HW encoder is dormant in this case, and its sole purpose is to transcode.

Anyways, maybe we'll get there eventually. I don't have the coding chops to try it out but I do wonder if we've actually tried it.

Cheers !

budafilms

Quote from: dubzeebass on March 06, 2014, 01:56:07 PM
No technical description in there just a bunch of conjecture. So budafilms thanks to your response which incredibly adds an unbelievable level of value to my day and this forum, care to expand?

My apologize. I never intend to say "No" like you imagine. I have not the Dev experience to explain with facts why not. I understand only the processor it's limited to process all that information - even raw like 2K without zoom. I only shoot.

Sometimes, I get here to learn or updated the ML version or get better settings. This is my knowledge. And maybe a fast answered to someone like your case, it's faster than wait for devs all the time. For me a lots of No or Yes was better ways to get better shoots.

See you around here!