unreasonably low levels with a rode videomic pro + t2i?

Started by zoetoff, March 03, 2014, 07:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zoetoff

So let me preface this by saying that audio has NEVER been my strong suit, so maybe I'm missing something obvious.

I'm using a canon t2i running ml, with a rode videomic pro. I have the audio input set to external only. I have the analog gain as high as it will go. The batteries in the mic are fresh out of the box. I have the mic set to +20db.

Sitting a foot away from the mic, my normal speaking voice is barely audible. (I don't remember the exact levels but I think we're talking in the -30db range). Raising the levels in post results in a weird underwater quality to voices.

If I bump up the digital gain, my voice is audible but there is a terrible hiss. Trying to remove the hiss in post is hard and makes things sound no good (although better than the underwater thing).

Please please help! I've been googling and experimenting for months and I have no idea what's causing this.

ItsMeLenny

I have the "Stereo Video Mic" and it doesn't have the +20db, only the 0db and -10db. If I bump analog gain up max and put it on 0db then it's quiet, but boosting in post does not result in a hiss.

BASED ON THAT:
I think the cable on your mic is broken, either that or the plug in your camera. I'd try testing them both.

1%