7D 2512 x 1068 video at 17fps test.

Started by ted ramasola, March 03, 2014, 07:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

At 2512 x 1068 and using a 1000x CF, the 7D can still record continuously with sound but in my tests only at 17FPS. Is is useful? I believe so for certain applications or situations.

I remembered that back in the day our business shot events using 8mm at 16fps. The GoPro Hero3 can do 4K at 15fps. So at 17fps it must still be ok.

On the res chart flutes, this setting by far is the cleanest of the crop modes resolving past 1000 horizontal while 2048 x 930 is at past 800.

For normal human movement at a certain distances the motion is still ok, here's a short test. Watch it at full res.

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

painya

Was flame blending or anything applied to this for smoothness? What was your shutter speed?

Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

PressureFM

Motion blur is very visible.

Just imagine a busy street with cars and cyclists in the background of the subject.

arrinkiiii

Very nice images. This is good (for example...) for fighting scenes or race scenes... in post put in 24fps and you will have more "action" in your scene =))

ted ramasola

Quote from: painya on March 03, 2014, 07:34:55 AM
Was flame blending or anything applied to this for smoothness? What was your shutter speed?

No frame blending, this was edited in resolve so just changed the speed. On a 24fps timeline, just changed clip attributes to 17fps.
Shutter speed of 48 is still best even at this low fps.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Quote from: PressureFM on March 03, 2014, 07:58:19 AM
Motion blur is very visible.

Just imagine a busy street with cars and cyclists in the background of the subject.

Its 17fps so its smoothness is not the same as 24 or 30. I tested with cars and compared it. Not trying to reinvent the wheel here, just testing to see how it can be used.

Motion test with cars.

I only have a 1000x and a 1050x which is a bit slower.
So I'm wondering if any one with the new faster cf like a 1200X or 1066X can squeeze the 7D to push 23.976 at this resolution?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

tjaja

Why did you conform it to 24fps? I think the stuttering comes from that. Have you tried to view it 17fps natively?
5DFree, 550D, canon 50mm 1.4

ted ramasola

Quote from: tjaja on March 04, 2014, 07:27:23 PM
Why did you conform it to 24fps? I think the stuttering comes from that. Have you tried to view it 17fps natively?

I was testing how I can use it on a "standard" 24 fps timeline. Also, when used with audio, the wav file is always set at the framerate that the canon menu is set at. In this case the wav file will be at 24fps.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

arrinkiiii

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 04, 2014, 10:41:52 PM
...when used with audio, the wav file is always set at the framerate that the canon menu is set at. In this case the wav file will be at 24fps.

audio-override? ...a new tool in ML?   hah =))

ted ramasola

Yup!  :) I actually like this that the audio is always at a standard rates. That way we can get funky with our video framerates and still have the audio intact.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

aace

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 04, 2014, 05:31:51 AM
So I'm wondering if any one with the new faster cf like a 1200X or 1066X can squeeze the 7D to push 23.976 at this resolution?

I hate to respond to a question with a question, but, wouldn't the 7D buffer run out at 2512 x 1068 and 23.976 fps? I was under the impression that you couldn't get continuous  recordings beyond certain resolutions and fps. Am I wrong? ....I do not have the faster cards. I have (3) 64GB transcend cards at 1000x.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 04, 2014, 11:39:00 PM
Yup!  :) I actually like this that the audio is always at a standard rates. That way we can get funky with our video framerates and still have the audio intact.

Yes, indeed. Didn't think in that perspective =))