buffer or card speeds

Started by Juulien, March 02, 2014, 11:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juulien

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so I'd like first to thank a lot the developers for their job, what you've done is great!

So here is my question, I searched in the forum but couldn't seem to find an answer. I just bought the Komputerbay 128 GB 1050x an began to use it on a 50d. I manage to record continuous 1584 p (16:9 ratio) as long as I want with small hacks on, canon preview, histogramme and focus peak. So that is great.
    But when I benchmarked the card(with the settings explained in the forum), the maximum write speed was under 90 mB/s. I was wondering, wheter I could be able to use more ML focus or exposure tools if my write speed reached 120 mB/s(because if I use for instance the spotmeter in addition, I get only a few frames), or if it was only the 50d's buffer speed who was limiting me, and not my card. I think that this comes from the buffer, but I'm not sure, and don't want to make a mistake.

Sorry if it has already been explained, I really looked for the info! And I must know quite soon if it would be better for me to send the card back.

Thanks by advance and see you soon

Juulien

I knew that, but it seems to answer by noobie question, thanks.

1%

QuoteMax write speed on 50D is 70MB/s.

nah... all of these the "max" practical is 80-83. 72-79 is an average.

to kinda answer more of your question... you can't use anything while recording and killing as much as you can is a must. look around the forum for info on killing canon dialog timers, that adds at least 5-10 MB/s. to get up to a playback read/write I've no clue what else has to die.