Getting frustrated and Yeah its my fault. (ML on the EOS-M)

Started by lens pirate, March 02, 2014, 12:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lens pirate

Well gents I admit it.... I am just not smart enough to decode the specialized Language, find all the correct files, go through and understand the implications of the multi-stepped install on the E0S-M.

My goals are to get the best version of ML running to make use of some fine Manual focus glass I have. 

I have an understanding of the process in fact I did it in just a few mins on my 5Dmk2!!!!

But it seems the instructions for grabbing the correct files and doing the multiple installs required for the EOS-M are all over the place and make all sorts of assumptions about what the End user knows.

Bottom line is I need help to do this and I do not expect it for free.  Time is money.

If some one will type this process out making no assumptions about prior knowledge I will provide payment in the form of a
EOS-M to EF third party adapter that is tested and works fine.  You get something directly for your efforts.

Please Help.... 

1%

there is an installer for the latest 2.0.2 version so unlike with a 6D you don't have to downgrade or mess with anything.

Add fir, run it from the card.
Make card bootable with eoscard, unzip any 2.0.2 nightly and you're done.

lens pirate

Thanks a lot.... I know you meant that to help.   I am grateful.
But like everything here it assumes I know things that I do not and lacks links to the files I need.
Fails to provide a complete set of instructions. 

I my offer of a Eos-m to ef adapter is not enough for the trouble I apologize. 

Sorry..... I know I suck  but I really want to get focus peaking working.   

dfort

Hi lens pirate,

I feel your pain. I bought an EOS-M just so I could experiment with Magic Lantern. I did my very first install this weekend so the process is still fresh in my mind.

First of all, the EOS-M shooter's guide is here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8825.0

The way I got it working was to first download the latest eosm Tragic Lantern. That's 1%'s "fork". There's also the "regular" Magic Lantern download, which I'll get to later, but that is missing a critical file for first time installers -- the "fir" 1% was telling you to run from your card.

OK--the Tragic Lantern download address is: http://tl.bot-fly.com/

Today's latest and greatest is: tragiclantern-v31337.TRAGIC.2014Mar03.EOSM202.zip

Unzip the file and you will find a file named "EOSM_202.fir" copy that to your SD card. Put the card in your camera and go through the firmware update procedure--set your mode dial to still photos (it won't work in auto or movie mode) and go the 4th wrench in the menu. The last item is your firmware version which should be 2.0.2, highlight it and press the set button in the middle of the camera's selection dial. Go ahead and "update" the firmware. You won't really be updating it, just installing a file that will boot Magic Lantern from the SD card.

The next step according to 1% is to make the card bootable using a utility called eoscard. That is a Windows program, if you are on a Mac use macboot.command. OK--I've got to confess that I skipped this step and it seems to work fine. I'm using a Lexar 64GB 600x speed card that the camera formats as exFAT, don't know if that makes a difference.

Finally, copy autoexec.bin and the ML folder to your SD card. You can delete EOSM_202.fir, it is no longer needed.

At this point you can use either 1%'s Tragic Lantern or the Magic Lantern EOSM.202 nightly build: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

Hope this newbie to newbie reply helped you.

Now a couple of questions for the experts. I just checked the nightly build for today and it is still missing the EOSM_202.fir file that is essential for getting started. Should this be reported? Also, I didn't do anything to make my SD card bootable yet ML loads and as far as I can tell it works. I thought I read some instructions saying that running EOSM_202.fir in the firmware update step makes the card bootable. Is this true or false?

Thanks again for this great software!

lens pirate

Well thanks a lot.   I think I can work my through this.  It seems to be complete.   If I can do it using this...will try this weekend. 
You will have earned yourself a Eos-m to ef adapter.  Thank you for taking your valuable time to type this out for me with links..

Look forward to doing this!

gary2013

Quote from: dfort on March 04, 2014, 09:37:07 PM
OK--I've got to confess that I skipped this step and it seems to work fine. I'm using a Lexar 64GB 600x speed card that the camera formats as exFAT, don't know if that makes a difference.

Finally, copy autoexec.bin and the ML folder to your SD card. You can delete EOSM_202.fir, it is no longer needed.

Now a couple of questions for the experts. I just checked the nightly build for today and it is still missing the EOSM_202.fir file that is essential for getting started. Should this be reported? Also, I didn't do anything to make my SD card bootable yet ML loads and as far as I can tell it works. I thought I read some instructions saying that running EOSM_202.fir in the firmware update step makes the card bootable. Is this true or false?

I did not use the eoscard.exe on my 32gb Sandisk 45mb/s write SD card and it works. I format the card on my computer with winnows 7, then again inside Canon. Then I add the nightly TL build on my computer to the SD card each day.

The fir is always in the TL builds and the ML builds do not have it. It is not needed to report this. I always keep the fir file on the SD card cus I test a lot and I sometimes need to use it again.

Gary

gary2013

Quote from: lens pirate on March 02, 2014, 12:17:24 AM
Well gents I admit it.... I am just not smart enough to decode the specialized Language, find all the correct files, go through and understand the implications of the multi-stepped install on the E0S-M.
I have been through it all just like you and everyone else has had to do. Yes, seems very frustrating and all over the place. But, once you see and know, it all seems rather simple.

This is a good community and many of us are here to try and help each other. So always feel free to ask anything and do not feel like something might sound  stupid. we all ask stupid things now and then. Especially starting new here.

If you are going to use Tragic Lantern, which is what I always use, then use this thread for the EOS-M/TL.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9508.0;topicseen

In case you do not know, you have to use two fingers and swipe on the camera LCD display to open up the ML menus. And inside ML/TL menus, there are submenus that you get to by tapping the screen with one finger over the item listed. Such as the menus for raw recording. You press the Set button (the center button on the back inside the dial) and it turns raw recording on. Now tap with one finger on that raw recording item and it opens up the submenus to adjust the settings for raw recording. Tapping again with one finger brings you back out of the submenus. Pressing the shutter button gets you out of ML/TL or wait 10 seconds and it always shuts off ML/TL menus.

Have fun. :-)
Gary

lens pirate

Dfort you earned your adapter!!!!!!!!!!!!   Pm your mailing address.  Everyone else thanks for your help.  I now have ML running and have my manual focus aids in place that I really wanted.  Well that and Ettr. 

harryh999

I go to the 4th wrench and I don't get the update firmware tab in stills mode

harryh999

karl

Actually, I've just went through the process of trying to install ML, removing the card, putting it back in the computer, then in the camera. 3 times. Because I'm doing several things at the same time, rushing. And I first put only .fir, then only ML and finally I had all the files on the card.

Doing too many things at the same time makes me stupid -_-'.

Anyway, I take this opportunity to say it again: thank you ML community, thank you 1%! This project is awesome.
If you're not lying down in bird shit, you're not trying hard enough.

6d — 28mm f/1.8 USM ; 40mm f/2.8 STM ; 50mm f/1.4 USM ; 85mm f/1.8 USM ; Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8