Is Dual Pixel Tech Coming to the EOS 5D Mark III?

Started by Jockerl, February 28, 2014, 06:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockerl

QuotePlanetMitch over at Planet5D speculates about the possibility of adding Dual Pixel Technology to the EOS 5D Mark III. With Canon adding it to the Cinema EOS line, can we expect the same thing for the EOS lineup as well?

Mitch asked Canon, and received the types of answers you'd expect.

This would certainly change the game for the EOS 5D Mark III and adding features to an existing Canon DSLR.

Says PlanetMitch
"Tho of course, we don't know if it is going to be added to the Canon EOS 5D Mark III or even the Canon EOS C300 and who knows how long Canon has been putting Dual Pixel capable sensors out... but we do now know that they shipped cameras with capable sensors before they had the firmware necessary to make it all work."

source: http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/02/is-dual-pixel-tech-coming-to-the-eos-5d-mark-iii/#
http://blog.planet5d.com/2014/02/is-dual-pixel-autofocus-coming-to-the-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii/

Let the discussion begin  ;)

Audionut

Dual pixel is where it uses some pixels for autofocus, correct?

It is my understanding that a number of hot/dead/pink pixel issues, in raw recording, have been a direct result of these pixels in certain camera.
It is also my understanding, that the 5D3 has not suffered these same issues.

So my best guess, don't expect it on the 5D3. 

[rant]
Personally, I use a camera for photos, and this dual pixel stuff simply reduces output image quality, in favour of video features.  Do these pixels reduce quality in a perceptible way, probably not.  But the fact remains that manufacturing decisions are being made with respect to video, and I personally, would like a camera, that functions as best as technology allows, as a camera.  Not as some multi-functional smartphone.
[/rant]

dmilligan

Fast AF in LV isn't only useful for video...

Mirrorless seems to be the way things are headed and this tech is an indication of that I think. Cameras can be smaller and lighter and optics can be moved closer to the sensor.