MLV to Davinci Resolve workflow ideas?

Started by PeterR, February 15, 2014, 12:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterR

The current workflow of converting MLV to DNG (using terminal) and then After Effects to export the MOV file is very time consuming and draining.

Is there an easier workflow using Davinci Resolve on a mac?
GH4 + 5D2 w magic lantern. Davinci Resolve>Premiere Pro>Davinci Resolve workflow

mdwhaley

ouuzi

ted ramasola

as what the headline of the original post say. MLV to DaVinci Resolve. Thats it.

Export mov from da vinci and use that or some other format da vinci supports.

OR , you can try and finish everything in da vinci. It is an editor now albeit a basic one that is.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

jonnyginese

These guys do a great tutorial on this http://nofilmschool.com/2013/09/tutorial-canon-5d-mark-iii-magic-lantern-raw-offline-online/

They go through extraction with an automator in MAC
creating a proxy
exporting to Premiere
Importing - edit and export of premiere back into da vinci
Replace edit parts with original, and render.

I dont use there entire step process. I just go ahead and make my proxy DNxHD 1080p 422 with highlight recovery done and use that. It comes out really good and I'm pretty sure its visually lossless.
Cameras: 5D3 | 60D
Prime Lenses: Samyang 14mm 2.8 | 24mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Nikkor 105 2.5
Zoom Lenses: Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC | Canon 80-200 2.8 L

swinxx

PeterR

GH4 + 5D2 w magic lantern. Davinci Resolve>Premiere Pro>Davinci Resolve workflow

llirik

I'm not having any luck with MLV through resolve (to get it to prores).

Firstly, audio syncs only the first wav file to the rest of the clips.

And resolve itself cannot export, giving me the error: "Recording failed with error: codec is not opened yet".

Been reading up on MLV development and status all day, am able to record with sound... but once I get to post it's broken.

I've tried every utility and script i've found here. From MLVmystic to MLVConverter to the recursive0.4.... no luck on any of these. All have issues that break the workflow and I cannot get the footage into a useable state (i.e., prores via resolve).

Starclassic

Is there a program for pc that simulates apple automator? And how do you make your proxies DNxHD? I'm very new to this and any info will help.  :)

PeterR

I'm likewise not having luck with audio. Did you manage to figure out how to get the audio to sync in resolve? I'm capturing in camera audio so the file should be embedded in the mlv.  :o

Quote from: llirik on February 22, 2014, 12:22:37 PM
I'm not having any luck with MLV through resolve (to get it to prores).

Firstly, audio syncs only the first wav file to the rest of the clips.

And resolve itself cannot export, giving me the error: "Recording failed with error: codec is not opened yet".

Been reading up on MLV development and status all day, am able to record with sound... but once I get to post it's broken.

I've tried every utility and script i've found here. From MLVmystic to MLVConverter to the recursive0.4.... no luck on any of these. All have issues that break the workflow and I cannot get the footage into a useable state (i.e., prores via resolve).