Hardware hack coming soon?

Started by jrumans, February 27, 2014, 11:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrumans

Sometimes you have to go out on a limb to get the fruit.

1%

Looks like they're just ripping the OLPF out of the 5DIII

Andy600

If they're doing mainboard surgery perhaps they could do something useful and bolt on a new controller and SSD :D
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

arrinkiiii

1%

Yea I don't think they're changing the main board... where would they get replacements? Canon?

$1000 seems like an alright price for someone to disassemble a ~$4k camera and do surgery considering picky customers and risk.

jrumans

Quote from: arrinkiiii on February 28, 2014, 01:24:39 AM
For OLPF remove, here a good review with nice photos and text.

http://philipbloom.net/2012/04/01/a-drastic-solution-to-increasing-sharpness-with-the-5dmkiii/

That article was written April 1st, I was a bit skeptical of it's authenticity at first :)
Thanks for sharing
Sometimes you have to go out on a limb to get the fruit.

ted ramasola

Quote from: arrinkiiii on February 28, 2014, 01:24:39 AM
For OLPF remove, here a good review with nice photos and text.

http://philipbloom.net/2012/04/01/a-drastic-solution-to-increasing-sharpness-with-the-5dmkiii/

I think I recalled James Miller, the one that did that hack eventually had problems when he removed the OLPF due to IR contamination.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

But the article say "greatly improve dynamic range"  :o
Best quality low-pass filter can provide more DR?
My guess is there may be some physical change with respect to the input signal. The problem is the way they sell this product... that it is not in every city there is a Canon authorized store.

PressureFM

Everyone who has removed the OLPF have returned it to an authorized repair center to get it inserted again.

The filter isn't there for fun and will disable your ability to clean the sensor for dust.

And the 5D Mark III is plenty sharp with RAW.

Steven

If it is true and they are actually modifying the hardware, maybe they could also implement a CFast 2.0 Interface, Sata Interface (one can dream) or just a faster SD Card Interface for improved card spanning performance.
Or just true 1080p by more advanced debayering and converting to a video codec.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Steven on February 28, 2014, 02:27:59 PM
Just read this rumor that state that there is a company that is going to offer a hardware modification of the 5D Mark III to increase video sharpness, dynamic range and overall performance of the camera by modifying the board.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/02/hardware-hack-for-eos-cameras-coming-soon-cr1/

If it is true and they are actually modifying the hardware, maybe they could also implement a CFast 2.0 Interface, Sata Interface (one can dream) or just a faster SD Card Interface for improved card spanning performance.

The link that you post is what is all about this thread =DD    ...but yes, would be  awesome with some kind of interface for the CF/Sata/Etc...

mageye

Maybe I will wait for everyone to send their cameras off and have an unknown 'modification' carried out. (At what cost?)

There are barely any details, other than it will greatly improve this and that. All the things that you will need and they will need your camera to do this (I bet they need your camera! ;D).

No science or demonstration of anything.

It's just rumour and speculation nothing more. :P

After all it is on a site called Canon Rumors. It's in the name ;)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

Steven

@arrinkiiii

My post was moved here by a moderator from a thread that I had newly started being unaware that the rumor had already reached the forum.

arrinkiiii

That explained the post, sorry  =))    ...and let see what this is about,  hardware hack.  I think is more then remove OLPF...

KMA_WWC

I have my OLPF filter removed by MAXMAX. No moire or aliasing and to my eye the image is slightly sharper. Not planning to put it back that's for sure and didn't have a single problem in 2 years.

Also, I don't think James had any issues with his. It might have been someone else, since as long as I know James still using his 5D3 without OLPF filter.
Canon 5D Mark III

kgv5

Quote from: KMA_WWC on March 01, 2014, 04:41:30 AM
I have my OLPF filter removed by MAXMAX. No moire or aliasing and to my eye the image is slightly sharper. Not planning to put it back that's for sure and didn't have a single problem in 2 years.

Also, I don't think James had any issues with his. It might have been someone else, since as long as I know James still using his 5D3 without OLPF filter.

Could you please post some samples of h264 (straight from camera, no postprocessing) and couple DNG frames without OLPF? Some high detail  shot, like trees, power lines, city etc. Thanks. Do you have any problems with dust?
I am wondering what is the difference between 5diii without OLPF and stock 6d/550/other cameras with moire/aliasing problems.

I remember i was making some tests 5diii vs 6D with mosaic engineering VAF-6d filter and 6d had slightly sharper image without any artifacts.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Datadogie

What if I said I could do this. Maybe modify a few lines of ML so that it does not say ML and charge $999 for it. would you pay? That is theoretically. I would never do this as My brain would not know how to write the code. After all there are numties that reply to letters from Nigeria.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

Steven

Has someone tried to contact the company to see if they could include features that would work well with ml?

arrinkiiii

In canonrumors they dont say the company.....uuuuuuuhhhh mystery  lol =DD   They change the motherboard and you need to pay 1000$ for this mod ... Maybe it's a lie maybe is true... Let see...