Mulit-Exposure on the 6D

Started by erox76, February 27, 2014, 06:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erox76

I was curious if it was possible to add the "Continuous Shooting Mode" (CONTSHTG mode) to the 6D??!! Or is this something just not possible with the 6D model? Maybe added as a module?
Sorry for the noobish questions, I have ML on my 60D and am looking into installing it on the 6D I just got, and this feature would be the deciding point of whether to have ML on both or not! Well and a few other things but this is a huge one!
Thanks

1%

huh? It has silent and regular burst for CR2 and a bunch of memory to save DNGs. How does it differ from 60D?

erox76

I'm refering to the multi exposure modes which they give the basics on the 6D but much more on the 5DIII http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_MultiExposure_Feature_QuickGuide.pdf
Like it shows there, the continuous shooting mode that captures the motion!! Or is this already apart of ML but not done with a single setting?

dmilligan

This is frequently requested. The answer is no. See #1 and #4

erox76

well I didn't know there'd be legal implications to this.. i thought it might be a feature that wasn't stable enough on the 6D platform at release and turned it off to avoid issues. As it appears that at least the base module or code (dunno honestly what it is so I won't pretend lol)/features are there!
So what your telling me is that, it's just not there at all, so don't bother asking?
Thanks for the replies BTW :-)

erox76

anybody know if it's there and turned off? :o

1%

oh... you mean in camera expsure fusion? It does it for Jpeg HDR. For CR2 you have to use ML auto bracketing and do it yourself. For the contshtg like in the picture: I didn't see these modes in the 6D firmware so couldn't enable it if I tried. Either way, this looks like something you totally want to do in post and not a 200mhz arm CPU with a tiny screen.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on February 27, 2014, 10:55:55 PMEither way, this looks like something you totally want to do in post and not a 200mhz arm CPU with a tiny screen

The one thing that would be useful is to lift the Canon fw crippling and enable the camera to also save the *source* files, not just the hdr result. I don't know if the sources are saved and then deliberately deleted, or if the whole processing is done from the image buffer though.

Even if the 6d does only jpeg processing, this would be "nice to have" as a preview option, but only if the original raw+jpeg files would be available for later postprocesing like on the 5d3.

1%

I think it does all operations in memory :(

erox76

that's the thing, there is no need to do it in post as this feature does it as you are taking the action shot, probably better with a tripod though! but i guess even if you were able to, it wouldn't cover the whole scene, maybe 4-5 shots instead of what appears to be 7 or 8 in that pdf!

Just realized are all you guys coders? Feel like i've seen all 3 of your names a lot in the forums!!

1%

If someone logged 5D3 multi expo setting changing with a DM log and I compared the property contents on 6D we'd know 100% for sure. As it stands... movie servo AF was similar, parts of it were there but it was mainly just the icon and non functional. Same for AF patterns... need 5DIII logs changing this stuff in the menu and then I can compare the properties or try setting them.

On 7D turning on photo studio mode gave a menu too but the rest of the features were gone. It could end up that you have to implement it from scratch and then there is no point as it can be done in post. The hidden/crippled features are in most cases not compiled in.

erox76

really??? ??? :o I thought that's what ML was, re-enabled features that were hidden/crippled for the final release!!?? Guess I need to go back re-read some things.  :D but i'm still curious! I might be able to get my hands on a 5D3 momentarily! how would I go about creating a DM log? would they need ML installed on it?

a1ex

The vast majority of ML features were developed from scratch (just look at the source code).

The unlocked features are the exception, not the rule (examples: movie recording on 50D, or crop mode on 650D/700D/EOSM). Enabling these things is not the direction I want ML to go. This is code not fully understood by us, not well-tested by Canon, so you are effectively asking for trouble (just look at the issues reported about crop mode hack: there's nothing we can do to fix them).

erox76

yea plus, thinking about it a bit, the cameras that do have the features I want, use CF cards! May be a buffer constraint! Seems like from what i've read that they really limited the 6D read write speed, either on purpose or not anticipating speed hurdles being overcome for SD! But what do I know  :o
Thanks for all your help guys!

Audionut

Quote from: erox76 on February 28, 2014, 10:35:45 PM
Seems like from what i've read that they really limited the 6D read write speed, either on purpose

What makes people buy a 5D3 over a 6D?  One of the reasons is probably the write speed to storage  :)

1%

I think the "pro" cameras get CF and the mid/low end gets SD. 6D has the next gen SD interface that supports at least ~40MB/s ... same as every other cam in this generation. 7D/50D/5DII share the same CF I believe.

erox76

yea great storage, dual cf cards and sd cards, read/write speeds. And a bit more in software, better resolution, faster shutter and more AF points! but who really needs all that?  :'(