[solved] DaVinci Resolve not exporting Audio

Started by MichaelHeiland, February 27, 2014, 04:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelHeiland

I have a bunch of graded footage linked up with my .WAV audio in the time line.  I have been trouble shooting every format and trying different settings.  No matter what settings I choose when exporting I get no audio. 

Should I skip linking the audio in DaVinci and just link it up in my editor?

Thanks
5D iii, 60D and EOS-M

MichaelHeiland

Quote from: dubzeebass on February 27, 2014, 06:03:09 PM
I have same issue.

How do you go about the problem?  Do you just link up the audio later when you edit your clips?
5D iii, 60D and EOS-M

dubzeebass

Yup. It's sort of easy with premiere cuz the file and wav have the same name. It's just a bit time consuming to link them each and trim off the extra from the wav but what are you gonna do?

kgv5

Try again, i had the same issue. Tried many times with no results. I have lost the faith in resolve but next day somehow it went ok. I dont know what i did, seems like some random bug problem. Try to restart your system.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

arturochu

I had the same problem, figured out that if you export individual clips in your timeline you wont get audio, but if you export all the timeline as a single clip you'll have audio. I Don't know why resolve works like this.
Chu

QuickHitRecord

EDIT: I think that I've figured it out (and in the manual, of all places!). It turns out that you can't sync audio in the Edit tab and export single clips. You have to batch synchronize timecode in the Media Pool. It's on page 122 of the manual: http://software.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/Manual/DaVinci_Resolve_Colorist_Reference_Manual_Nov_2013.pdf

Good news is that this is even easier than what we've been doing. I'm testing it now.
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

ted ramasola

Quote from: QuickHitRecord on March 02, 2014, 11:30:17 PM
EDIT: I think that I've figured it out (and in the manual, of all places!). It turns out that you can't synch audio in the Edit tab and export single clips. You have to batch synchronize timecode in the Media Pool. It's on page 122 of the manual: http://software.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/Manual/DaVinci_Resolve_Colorist_Reference_Manual_Nov_2013.pdf

Good news is that this is even easier than what we've been doing. I'm testing it now.

Good Find! Thanks for this. it works.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

QuickHitRecord

@Ted It seems to work for some clips, but some of them are still exporting out of sync. Which leads me to the question: is ML generating true timecode for both video and audio?

Apparently there's a way to manually sync each clip so that you can export individual clips with audio, but it's probably more of a hassle than doing it in Premiere:

From the Media Pool tab:

1) Click on the little audio icon in lower left of the audio panel to switch to "Dailies".
2) Click on the chain links to deselect it if it isn't already.
3) Navigate to the corresponding audio WAV file (make sure that the playhead is at the beginning of the clip).
4) Click on the chain links to link them.

I am still testing this though. Like I said, it seems like more clicks than you'd have to do in Premiere.
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

ted ramasola

I see this as the way to get resolve to export individual clips with audio, though the audio is always a frame or two off, which is "normal" with dslr video even with h264, at least when in premiere all you have to do is unlink and nudge a frame or two.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

andy kh

best option is to convert to cdng and import to premiere. everything sync automatically. no more manaul audio sync which kills a lot of time.
5D Mark III - 70D

QuickHitRecord

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 03, 2014, 06:29:47 AM
I see this as the way to get resolve to export individual clips with audio, though the audio is always a frame or two off, which is "normal" with dslr video even with h264, at least when in premiere all you have to do is unlink and nudge a frame or two.

What's odd is that it's much more than frame or two off. It's 5 or 10 seconds off in some cases. I'm working with a 100+ clip project, with a couple of "automagical" stops when the cards filled up so it's not as easy to isolate problems.

In your experience, is the audio a frame or two early or late?

Quote from: andy kh on March 03, 2014, 07:48:34 AM
best option is to convert to cdng and import to premiere. everything sync automatically. no more manaul audio sync which kills a lot of time.

I will try this. I haven't tried importing any DNGs into Premiere since audio was implemented. But if it works, it will be a real time-saver. At the risk of deviating from the original topic, does the footage still have a pink hue to it?

andy kh

I will try this. I haven't tried importing any DNGs into Premiere since audio was implemented. But if it works, it will be a real time-saver. At the risk of deviating from the original topic, does the footage still have a pink hue to it

you cant import dng in premiere pro. you can import cdng only and with latest version raw2cdng version there is no more pink hue and the best thing is audio sync which saves a lot of time when you have so many clips
5D Mark III - 70D

QuickHitRecord

Quote from: andy kh on March 03, 2014, 03:39:58 PMyou cant import dng in premiere pro. you can import cdng only and with latest version raw2cdng version there is no more pink hue and the best thing is audio sync which saves a lot of time when you have so many clips

Sounds pretty great. Unfortunately I am on a Mac and it appears to be only for PC (chmee links to RawMagic as a Mac alternative on his website, but that does not work with audio files).

QuickHitRecord

I just copy-pasted the WAV files into 109 silent clips with Quicktime. It was the only way to be sure. Hopefully a solution for Mac users will come out soon.

ted ramasola

Quote from: QuickHitRecord on March 03, 2014, 02:49:21 PM
What's odd is that it's much more than frame or two off. It's 5 or 10 seconds off in some cases. I'm working with a 100+ clip project, with a couple of "automagical" stops when the cards filled up so it's not as easy to isolate problems.

In your experience, is the audio a frame or two early or late?

The audio is consistently early so it needs a nudge back.

There are 2 issues I should differentiate in testing audio and that is sync and drift.

In sync issues, once a nudge back is made audio is in sync however I have done some tests in late january and early feb builds where the audio and video would 'drift" gradually expanding in difference as it went longer. The discrepancy would start with half a sec starting at 2 min and gradually at 11 min the difference would be almost 2 min.

Later tests showed the gradual drift was not there anymore just the 1-2 offset.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

keepersdungeon

I'm having the same issue, can't export audio track. I'm new to resolve so I'm still testing it. I've tried the linking but still no audio. Any help would be appreciated.