Re- Installing ML after re-formatting my memory card on 5d mark 3

Started by ren1, February 26, 2014, 09:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ren1

:o I am new to both Magic Lantern and Canon 5d Mark 3 - I successfully installed Magic Lantern a while back on my Mk 3 but haven't really used my camera since. I tried to use it today but could not find the movie files that i had recorded so i read that i need to format my card to see the files so i formatted the card on my camera and tried to access ML but I found i couldn't access ML so I realised I must have deleted the ML files  I have tried to re-install it the same way i did before i have updated the firmware to 1.1.3. I then uploaded  5D3 - 113-bootflag.fir, auto exec.bin and the ML folder and put them onto my sd card and tried to update on my cam but it now keeps saying update file cannot be found. Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again. I have tried several times now and keep getting the same message. I seem to remember maybe downloading a patch last time. I think it may have been something to do with my mac operating system being OSX mountain lion 10.7.5 but i cant quite remember  :-\ Is there anyone who can help me pleeease :)

ed.jenner

Not sure if this will help as I'm not getting the same message, and I'm on a PC but also just found out that unlike the 5DII, on the 5DIII if I format the card in-camera I removed part or all of ML.

I had a copy, or you can just download the lightly build.  Copy those files to the SD card.  Then I used EOScard (I'm on a PC) to make the SD card bootable again.

I suspect it is the latter step you may be missing.  Perhaps go through those steps, but with whatever Mac users use to make the card bootable (if this is not the crux of your problem).

Note you usually can't make the card bootable with an in-computer card reader, you need an external reader.

Ed.

Audionut

Formating the card removes all data.  Formating the card is not the way to find missing files.

Try making the card bootable with MacBoot and copying the ML files to it.