600d w/ 64gb class 10 stops recording video after 4 seconds???

Started by d4mer, February 26, 2014, 05:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d4mer

Hi everybody,

I have a 600d and just bought a Transcend 64gb class 10 card, ML is working fine however with default cbr I can't get it to record more than 4 seconds before the buffer gets full. I have a 8gb class 6 microsd that works just fine at the same settings 1080/24.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Walter Schulz

"Class 10" is next to useless as a classification today. It's just saying that highest write speed has to be 10 MByte/s. Class 6 -> 6 MByte/s.
600D has a bottleneck built in and that's the card interface itself. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5
You will just get about 21 MByte/s in the cam. If the card does 90 MByte/s with an USB 3.0 cardreader does not change anything about this one.

Take a decent USB 3.0 cardreader (Kingston FCR-HS3 works fine for me) and run something like ATTO or CrystalDiskMark. If the card fails to write 10 MByte/s in sequential mode it is a bad joke and you may return it or use it for other things.

Ciao
Walter

Datadogie

i think you have a bad card. Some are not what they say they are. :-\
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

d4mer

I was seriously afraid of that! The package says its 20mbp/s but it gets nowhere near that. I can get it  to record if I bring down the cbr to .9.

How big of a difference will that make to picture quality?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: d4mer on February 27, 2014, 07:16:50 AMThe package says its 20mbp/s
Read or write rate? There might be a big difference.
Debug tab has a card benchmark. Run it and it will generate a BMP file on the card's root directory.

d4mer

Thanks for that Walter,

However I was just looking through the debug menu and can't find anything like a benchmark test for the card. Could you point me in the right direction?

d4mer

Got it! Thanks for clearing that up Audionut.

And from what I can see this card is CRAP!

15 read and 5 write. Am packing it up and sending it back as we speak

Thanks for all your help guys!  :D

Walter Schulz

15/5? Are these the highest marks go got or the worst? Last run (128k buffer size) might be giving very low numbers and that's quite normal.

Ciao
Walter

d4mer

These are the best! And they have never gone over  5.1 on the write